soundblaster

Linux custom server.Arma3Profile

Hello folks,

I am having trouble setting up my Ubuntu Server 15.10 "Wily Werewolf" Arma 3 server. Everything is working well but I just cannot seem to make a custom profile for the difficulty settings.

I got a  bash script starting the Arma 3 server:

#!/bin/bash

# Network settings used in -cfg param
networkConfig="default.cfg"

# Server configuration settings used in -config param
serverConfig="server.cfg"

# Server profile and difficulty settings used in -name param
profileName="server"

# Server-side mods
mods="heli;kart;mark;" 

# Start server
echo "Starting server..."
nohup ./arma3server -cfg="/$networkConfig" -config="$serverConfig" -name="$profileName" -mod="$mods" -noSound > arma3.log 2>&1&

The directory of my Arma 3 server: /home/(username)//Steam/steamapps/common/Arma\ 3\ Server/ .In the directory of my Arma server I got the profile folder called "server" and in there you can find the server.Arma3Profile with the difficulty settings. I have tried various things and cannot seem to solve this. Some people say there should be a .local folder with the difficulty settings but for me it doesn't exist.

I hope I explained my problem well and if I didn't I apologize English isn't my main language.

Thank you in advance!

Its simple, you need to use the -profiles paramter to load the profile :)

-profiles=Path/To/your/profile/files

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/-profiles

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Startup_Parameters

Regards Arkensor

Thanks for your quick reply but the reason why I use -name over -profiles is:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile

Linux

The name depends upon the -name parameter when starting the arma server. Having started the server with "./server -name=server" (-profiles seems to be useless on Linux) you'll find it as a subfolder of your arma-server directory, for example "/usr/home/arma-server/server/server.armaprofile".

If you're not using the "-name" parameter, the default name "player" will be used and you'll find the ArmA profile in player/player.armaprofile.

Both are required, the -name to tell the server how his profile name is, -profiles where to save it...

-profiles=C:\Server\ServerProfile" -name=Testserver

gives me the Testserver folder in C:\Server\ServerProfile, and then i edit what is inside of that folder, and tada there you go ...

Both are required, the -name to tell the server how his profile name is, -profiles where to save it...

-profiles=C:\Server\ServerProfile" -name=Testserver

gives me the Testserver folder in C:\Server\ServerProfile, and then i edit what is inside of that folder, and tada there you go ...

I tried what you said but it did not work. What I did was this:

-profiles="Steam/steamapps/common/Arma\ 3\ Server/serverprofile/" -name="server"

I it did not create a Arma3Profile file so I tried making one with the right configuration hoping it would use it something like this:

-profiles="Steam/steamapps/common/Arma\ 3\ Server/serverprofile/" -name="server.Arma3Profile"

I also tried:

-profiles="home/(username)/Steam/steamapps/common/Arma\ 3\ Server/serverprofile/" -name="server.Arma3Profile" 

I use this for the configuration: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile

Normally doing this isn't a problem in Windows it works just fine but in Linux it is weird, well let's not blame the software I am probably the one that does it wrong...

"-profiles=Steam/steamapps/common/Arma\ 3\ Server/serverprofile/" -name="Testserver"

try that

The whole profile thing under Linux is still borked afaik. If you do not have access to your home directory and cannot see hidden directories, you are out of luck. Arma 3 Linux automatically generates a profile under a windows path, which is awkward and unwieldy. Last time I checked the -profiles flag does nothing under Linux. It's all connected to the -name flag, which defines the profile name and directory.

/home/<user>/.local/share/Arma 3 - Other Profiles\<profilename>

where <user> is the user the server is running under and <profilename> the -name you set in the startup parameters.

Edit:

Actually you will have to create the directory manually, according to https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server

Edit2: Depending on the rights of the user, it is possible that this directory has been created by the server! To verify, cd to /.local/share/Arma 3 - Other Profiles and check if there is a "Player" directory, this is the default profile that gets created if you did not define a profilename with "-name".

mkdir -p ~/".local/share/Arma 3" && mkdir -p ~/".local/share/Arma 3 - Other Profiles"
Edited by lukio
Default "player" directory profile.
  • Like 1

I recently had to solve this mystery myself and arrived on this thread which solved it.

Just to make it clear to everybody here because the solution not stated explicitly:  You have to cd to that folder they mentioned above:

cd ~/".local/share/Arma 3 - Other Profiles"

In that folder you will find the subfolder for the -name= option that you use for your server startup thing.  In there is the precious, relevant .Arma3Profile you just spent the past week or whatever pulling your hair out to find because something this important is documented here in a random forum thread rather than made painfully obvious to people in the various BIKI pages relevant to this very issue.

Personally I recommend making a symlink into your serverconfig folder or whatever so you don't have to cd to it every time you want to change something.  It's a pain in the ass to type out.