Sign in to follow this  
terox

BUG Report: Eden Editor Group Init field issue

Apologies for posting this here, with the bug Tracker offline its difficult to figure out where tom post these type of threads

When you open up the Group attribute editor in 3Den for any given group and add code into the Init field, not only does that code run for every unit in the group, but it also does it by default. At the very minimum, it runs that code on the group leader.

There is a tick box that you can select so it doesnt run on all units, but this does not stop it running on the group leader unit

Each unit has its own init field for that purpose and I believe that the group leaders init field should be kept seperate from the group init field

I suspect that the group attributes editor should be working on the group variable alone, for example to setvariable to the group or run code just for the group, when the group variable is initialised.

It doesnt make any sense for it to work in any other way

If you take a look at the following image, in my example I am calling some code that creates a groupIcon. That group icon is created multiple times, (Once for each unit in the group)

This is not a network issue where the code is being called once per remote connection, this is occuring in a single player testing environment

In addition, if you add any code into the Group attribute init field, which then copies the code into all the units in that group's init field and then delete that code from any of the individual units, the group attribute box then reveals a checkbox where you can select not to copy the code into all the other units fields. it isnt displayed by default.

even if this was fixed so by default you had this checkbox option, it still doesnt fix the issue of defining an init for the group rather than units in the group

What makes things worse, is if you set the tickbox to not run the code on every unit and then you disable the group leader via for example disableAI in the unit selection screen that code defined for the group is never run

GroupEditBIForums.png