pierremgi

AIs can walk through walls, concrete objects

Hi,

Here is an old post, i guess, but since feedback tracker is out, it's difficult to have a clear view of what's going on .. or not.

As title says, AIs can walk through structures like walls or concrete blocks. Difficult to avoid that; even with a 0 completion radius waypoint outside the structures...!

Is there a work around to avoid this very weird behavior?

Thanks

What map? bi maps or user created? I had a problem with a user island that had buildings that were from a previous arma. Ai shot, walked, ran, saw, through the buildings and rubble. I haven't seen this on a bi map.

• Like 1

Yes, on a custom map, "porquerolles" but using standard buildings or objects of Arma vanilla. For example, AI pass through "Land_i_Barracks_V1_F" or "BlockConcrete_F" and plenty of other objects, embedded in map or added with Eden editor.

Barrak comes with the map (is this hte reason why?) but I added the blockConcrete. I can put an helo on it (fine!) but any AI infantry passes through as the block were not present.

Is there a solution for that? Thanks

AI on paths of a building object can walk straight through other objects. This can be quite common in towns. Can you post a screenshot of the area?

Is it only through doors (without opening them) or is it through walls ? doors can happen

Digging up an old thread, i been and am working on a mission where AI squads spawn within an large enclosed area, the area is surrounded by

Concrete wall (long) placed objects, problem is the AI squads will move through these walls @pierremgi have you discovered or found a way to prevent this?

Has anyone found a better wall to use where the AI dont clip through them?

If i disabled simulation "If disabled the object will ignore any input or collisions"

would that make the AI ignore the wall and not pass through them, or allow them to pass regardless?

Malden > Feas there are 3 buildings ( ruines ) where A.I. almost every time enter/exit the building through the wall.

Another much more frustrating thing: A.I. especially on Malden walk straight into mountains just to get stuck inside them...

Mountains on Malden are all hollow so guess A.I. don't really recognize there is a mountain right ahead of them and their path planning simply leads them straight into it.

45 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Digging up an old thread, i been and am working on a mission where AI squads spawn within an large enclosed area, the area is surrounded by

Concrete wall (long) placed objects, problem is the AI squads will move through these walls @pierremgi have you discovered or found a way to prevent this?

Has anyone found a better wall to use where the AI dont clip through them?

If i disabled simulation "If disabled the object will ignore any input or collisions"

would that make the AI ignore the wall and not pass through them, or allow them to pass regardless?

In my experience, this behaviour depends on the object/model being used : some walls will be correctly detected by the AI while others will simply be ignored when it comes to pathfinding.

3 minutes ago, haleks said:

this behaviour depends on the object/model being used

Im only using Independent FIA units, no mods in my mission, and using the Concreate wall (long) walls which are the tall walls.

Im wondering if there were another wall that would be more suitable, unless its the AI faction or modal which i doubt.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:12 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Im only using Independent FIA units, no mods in my mission, and using the Concreate wall (long) walls which are the tall walls.

Im wondering if there were another wall that would be more suitable, unless its the AI faction or modal which i doubt.

The units don't matter if I'm right.

For edited walls (Land_CncWall4_F or Land_Concrete_SmallWall_8m_F), I failed to reproduce that with edited waypoints... The units are stuck if they don't find a path and fail to reach any breach in a long wall if there is one.

Perhaps it's a positioning problem on uneven terrain which let some space between ground and wall... Do you have a mission sample?

Thats possible i've seen a video about that but my mission is set on Almyra desert so where all the walls are its all

pretty flat and even, its just on rare occasions the AI somehow end up outside the walls, most times its fine, overall im just wondering

why they do it, and if its a unit, or wall issue in terms of type of wall being used.

Been working on this all day and play testing, and out of maybe 6 play tests, i had one time the AI go outside the wall,

perhaps i was over concerned when i first seen it happen.

• Like 1

Hi, I think all of us who edit have that same problem, it would be time for the Bohemia Interactive programmers to give us a solution to this old and annoying problem ...

I think it is intentional to an extent because they are too stupid to navigate properly, like when you order them into a vehicle they pass through everything during the embark procedure.

An idea for this issue if those whom find this issue annoying or really bothering you, and please not lets blame AI path finding i know it sucks sometimes,

but depending on whats in your mission in terms of objects, buildings, and of course walls being used.

Rydygier and myself for my Desert OPs Run mission for those lost as to what im referring too we had worked on this issue a little bit and coming up with something

that seemed to work 99.9% of the time at least for the arena, was force the AI back.

@Rydygier if you have a minute can you explain how this code works we implemented?

What we did was place a trigger in the center of the arena that surrounds the the entire arena, what it would do if i recall correctly, been a while but any AI that would breach

(go through) the wall or come close to it would be automatically moved back into the center of the arena or where they initially started.

So you would name the trigger, and then call it through script and put that in your mission.

Ah, that was nothing innovative. The problem was, some AIs after respawn was landing out of desired area. So there was extra setPos after spawn and a cyclical check, if the AI is in the area, if not - setpos into the area was applied. 

It worked, i think at least from what i had observed was the AI on them moving around somehow in certain spots got through the walls

and we setup that check via trigger to put them back into the arena.

I haven't seen them outside the arena since we've done that, but with that i dont think it would solve such things as ai walking through doors, or

gates, unless maybe it was a placed object which you could name and then have a code that would force them out, like redirect them elsware

suppose that would be to much to ask for a mission maker to apply, i mean it really depends on what the issue is, its a given.

Probably best for BI to just fix that thing that creates the "bug" in the first place and thats either the objects the ai are going through or

the function or lack of, of the ai enabling them to go through objects and such.

I mean what creates a blocking force of something ingame anyways, is it the object's model, is it the coding what is it that prevents the ai from

walking through doors, walls, in most instances?

Is it possible that its both, the AI and the object that are allowing this to happen, or just the objects themselves.

We have objects placed, then we have objects that are part of a map, if we can compare notes and do tests to see if ai would go through either one

and somehow debug what is happening when they do, then there is a possibility of fixing it.

Some insight from BI could give some refreshing ground on this issue, although not always happening, i find it to be rare depending

but none the less its there, if we had an idea of what the issue is and can see it in code or what enables it to happen, be it from lag, object integrity,

low values, idk throwing out ideas here, then perspective can give one some direction as to how to possibly approach the problem if there is one.

Very weird issue that is hard to nail down as to which mod I'm using is causing this.  Light going through walls.  AI walking through walls.