-ben-

[WIP] Terrain "Tembelan Island"

Hello,

For about a year and a half i have been working on Tembelan Island, with help from Dmitry Yuri. Tembelan Island is part of a cluster of Islands in Indonesia, however work on this map began before the announcement of Tanoa, who's assets would fit perfectly on this island. Instead this map uses purely Vanilla content, and will remain that way. Consideration has been made into when the community gets its hands on the Tanoa assets, no decision has been made yet whether or not the map will be updated with the new assets.

Work on this project has been slow due to other time commitments, and i do not have an idea of an ETA on release. Best case scenario i would like to release this before Tanoa, but i make no promises. Testing of portions of the island during development have taken place through the Zeus Community of which we are a part of, and during the development we also re textured and configed some units, creating some fictional flavor background to the island. It is more than likely that when the island is done the units will be released as well if anyone wants to use them.

Below is the technical specs of the island as well as a bit more info about the "lore" we created for the island during it's development. It is also worth noting that any screenshots of the island are very W.I.P especially the satmap.

F2ZvQdP.png

Technical Specs:

Terrain Size: 10.24 KM X 10.24 KM
Approximate Landmass Area: 35.85 KM2
Grid Size: 2048 x 2048
Cell Size: 5

Tembelan is a real island, chosen by me to put into arma for it's interesting shape however while developing it we decided to make changes to the heightmap in order to create more interesting gameplay opportunities. With that in mind, the island is divided into two fairly distinct biomes, in the north and the south, with vegetation varying in each. We feature several large forests, as well as large hillside and valleys in the north. Where as in the south there are a lot more flat open mud plains, more suitable for vehicle combat, there is also a small river network to break things up on the eastern side of the island. There are a few smaller islands that are connected to the main island by fordable river crossings. In terms of man made features, there is a long sprawling capital city on the coast, several smaller villages, a few medium sized towns. Fully serviced military bases, as well as smaller F.O.B style outposts dotted through the island as well.

In ArmA, Tembelan is home to the Tembelan National Army (TNA), who are the official military force of the island, whom maintain control over the island with the help of NATO. Their main threat is from the guerrilla "Revolutionary Peoples Army of Tembelan" (RPAT) who through the assistance of CSAT, constantly undermine the TNA's authority conducting guerrilla attacks and raids regularly, to shift the balance of power on the island.

Now for some screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/sFT62

Hope you all look forward to it. 

Regards
Ben.

• Like 23

Very nice! I love when new maps just appear out of nowhere :D

• Like 8

I see Tanoa assets perfectly fitting on this....it's like BIS is realising something just to help you out !!! Just saying though, the decision is yours...

The map looks great, very promising !!!!

Some more screenshots of a town. There is a lot of grass at the moment, which won't be there, the mask and satmap have yet to be updated.

XH46f4t.jpgZEEvpTy.jpgYTwvvDh.jpgZAkDWMK.jpg50Hz9Zk.jpgwbCGLuY.jpg

• Like 5

Nicely done; any chance to get a map view look at what the entire terrain looks like in both sat view and topo map looks like?

• Like 1

Nicely done; any chance to get a map view look at what the entire terrain looks like in both sat view and topo map looks like?

A topo map wouldn't be too hard to post, could probably get that done later today. However at the moment the satmap hasn't been updated in a few months, one half of the entire island is just grass. Hence the grass in the pictures. When i have a satmap worthy of being in game, i will post one. 

• Like 1

jux6zjd.jpg

• Like 6

Still have a few large "objective" areas to fill, and some "travel" areas that need to be brought to life. Working on the town with the big triangle road structure at the moment, might have some screenies by the end of the week. Meanwhile Dmitry is working on the civilian airport to go below the town i post screenies of above.

Managed to just about get the initial placement of building done in this new town. Just needs detail work now.

0VKSf6l.jpgryLYDvw.jpgUIDLcIw.jpg

• Like 2

I like this.....but apparently I have used my quota of likes today.......

BI.....I demand more likes, I refuse to accept this subterfuge.  :lol:

• Like 2

No screenshots to share at the moment, everything is too grassy and doesn't look right. I can however share a new topo export and leave you to guess about the new things that have appeared. :P

hj1884q.jpg

• Like 3

looks great , i really like all the inlets , that could be great anchorage for a naval fleet - hint hint ) i can only imagine the level of hard work and effort that has gone into this , i hope we can all play on it in the future , keep it up )

looks great , i really like all the inlets , that could be great anchorage for a naval fleet - hint hint ) i can only imagine the level of hard work and effort that has gone into this , i hope we can all play on it in the future , keep it up )

Thanks. :)

Yeah there are a lot of bays and rivers cutting into the island, provides more navel based gameplay than a lot of maps, we just hope that with Tanoa they give us more navel vehicles and stuff.

• Like 2

Well the tools update was not as productive as one would hope. Though we have things working now. I decided to redo an area that i really didn't like, its about half done so far. Did some mask work to go with it too.

6g3X24x.pngidxikYJ.jpgZXeZBc6.jpg15G8nzG.jpgZ0bqJ5m.jpg

• Like 9

As a quick update, development has been stalled this month a lot of IRL shit kicked off. Hope to get back to work on this after the visual update and be back with some screenies and such then.

• Like 4

We are not dead. Just been asleep for a while...

itvRPcT.jpgwXrA6eH.jpg

• Like 8