Sign in to follow this  
BadContrakt

Riding The Bolt Home

This is no game-breaking issue, nor is it a bug. It's simply a "goof" by the BI developers.

"In the military (which I am not in) I would feel it's very safe to assume that the instructors would also teach the same thing!"

I can confirm that this is the case.

"The proper way to reload a semi-automatic weapon is to drop the mag, slam a new mag into the mag well, pull the bolt back and let go."

This is correct for most weapon types, but there are exceptions, such as MP5's and G3's, where the correct method is to start with pulling the charging handle back and locking it into a notch, and then releasing the magazine and inserting a new one, and finally unlocking the charging handle so that it rides forward.

By the way, which weapons in Arma 3 are animated in such a way that the soldier is riding the bolt home? I must confess I haven't noticed it personally :)

• Like 1

I can confirm that this is the case.

This is correct for most weapon types, but there are exceptions, such as MP5's and G3's, where the correct method is to start with pulling the charging handle back and locking it into a notch, and then releasing the magazine and inserting a new one, and finally unlocking the charging handle so that it rides forward.

By the way, which weapons in Arma 3 are animated in such a way that the soldier is riding the bolt home? I must confess I haven't noticed it personally :)

Of course there are always exceptions to a large rule! I didn't want to go into so much detail that the thread got off-topic though lol. Um I know for certain that the M14 (Marksman DLC) does it. I know for certain that the Lynx does it. Haven't really checked many others. I could though, and I'd probably find that a lot of the others do it as well.

With the lynx I think it is more of a forward assist drill. Pull the bolt back, let it close, then push on the charging handle to make sure the bolt is securely in battery. The default manual of arms with M4s includes this too, as far as I can remember. Put in the magazin, push the bolt release/pull back and release the bolt, tap the forward assist to make sure the bolt is in battery. Riding the bolt home would mean the operator is deliberately holding the bolt back as it attempts to move forward.

With the lynx I think it is more of a forward assist drill.

I was just in game and watched it, and you are right. The M14 animation however is obviously riding the bolt home.

The proper way to reload a semi-automatic weapon is to drop the mag, slam a new mag into the mag well, pull the bolt back and let go. By letting go, the tension of the spring will slam the bolt carrier forward and will properly seat a round in the chamber. I don't expect BI to fix this in Arma 3, but please.... Correct this in your future games. It looks very very amateur to be playing a military shooter and seeing the soldiers making this rookie mistake!

Slam a mag home? Thats a  good way to damage you mags.

Slam a mag home? Thats a  good way to damage you mags.

I served in the armed forces and slamming the mag is actually the correct manual of arms (how we were trained to do it) for a lot of modern weapons. The magazines (not speaking of the civilian stuff here) are made to take that kind of treatment. If you didn't slam the mag then you can't be certain that the mag is properly locked in, and that could potentially cause a weapon malfunction, or the mag could simply fall out of the weapon after you fired the first round.

However, as always, there are exceptions. One should follow the manual of arms for the particular weapon one is using. It's not the same for all weapons. We didn't slam the mag's on the G3's for example. They have a different locking mechanism than an AR type weapon.

On 3/21/2016 at 11:59 AM, brisse said:

I was just in game and watched it, and you are right. The M14 animation however is obviously riding the bolt home.

Yup! I haven't taken the time to test other weapons but yeah, the M14 is an obvious one!