morthon

Halo 3 Marine and Bravo-Kilos

Well, I haven't looked into the possibilities thoroughly, but I expected as much. Scaling skeletons is rarely an acceptable practice XD. However, there is the option of possibly retargeting the animations of the original skeleton onto a new skeleton. Though, that would still be alot of work and all things considering it would possibly be better to just make them from scratch. Like I said, I'll see when I start experimenting with it and that's a long ways off, to be honest. As a 3D Animation student I'm not afraid of having to go "the long way", it would be good practice, really. I actually have access to a motion capture studio, but I'm not satisfied with the tests I've managed to do so far. So far I managed to adapt a Sangheili rig to a biped and with some wizardry made it to mimic the motion capture data. It's really bad, but I'm experimenting, trying to find the most efficient way of doing this. Will report on that later.

Anyway, thanks for the info on RTMs!

Macser pretty much covered the problem with larger/smaller than man humanoid characters (or well any other kind of one). And unfortunately the vanilla RTMs in A3 are in a format that I dont think can be opened up for retargeting. As far as I know new animations from scratch is the only way to go with anything that differs from the vanilla man. 

I'm sure it'll all be fine. McRuppertle's work with the raptors and especially his T-Rex inspired me to try this. I have looked through the configs and it all looks very doable. There's no pressure on my end, at least ^^

I'll see if I can make some test animations soon to show what I can do.

So in conclusion, a .RTM records the location and rotation of bones and their children and is likely not openable.  I assume it works by naming stuff? So having a completely weird skeleton but with the same names would have the bones copy that animation, albeit totally screwed up and distorted?

So how does Arma 3 handle complex animations? Does it use some form of blending between animations? Or like linear animation states that will have to connect to each other? I get the feeling its the second one.

Also, for some reason I didn't realise that you are part of the lost dragons team! I love what you did with the mechs, very inspiring stuff! I will probably bombard you with questions too when I start the animating process xD

• Like 1

Yes the RTM contains positions for the bones on each frame. And the hierarchy is also part of the file. I'm not sure but I think all the transforms are rotations.

In game it's still actions and states. I don't think it's necessarily the best set up I've seen for calling animations. But it's what you have.

Actions are the classes that call your animations based on the situation they're in. Standing while in combat mode, prone while safe etc. The states classes, define the actual animations. Speed, whether or not they loop, the file's location and what they can link to, and so on. That's a simplistic overview. But it's the gist of it.

In Arma the "skeleton" is a hierarchical list of "bones" entered in the Model.Cfg. And these correspond to the selections in a mesh with the same naming. I think the Model.Cfg is more a requirement for the engine, than having anything to do with the rtms.

The naming is important though. If the naming of part of the mesh doesn't match up with the RTM and model.cfg you have problems. An obvious one is that section of the mesh defaulting to the rest-pose in game. Which usually means lots of twisting and distortion.

Unless I've missed something, the A3 RTMS are still off limits legally. So that's why people would opt to use the A2 examples. The problem there, is the means by which you edit them. Currently I don't know if the 3DS max tool set can import RTMs. Alwarren's Blender toolbox doesn't. If you could get them into one of those environments retargetting would be possible. Without that option, it's down to starting with a blank canvas. The downside is the workload. The upside, is the ability to make it something very different.

Object builder should be able to edit rtms too. But I doubt it would be as usable as something like CAT or character studio.

• Like 1

Yes the RTM contains positions for the bones on each frame. And the hierarchy is also part of the file. I'm not sure but I think all the transforms are rotations.

In game it's still actions and states. I don't think it's necessarily the best set up I've seen for calling animations. But it's what you have.

Actions are the classes that call your animations based on the situation they're in. Standing while in combat mode, prone while safe etc. The states classes, define the actual animations. Speed, whether or not they loop, the file's location and what they can link to, and so on. That's a simplistic overview. But it's the gist of it.

In Arma the "skeleton" is a hierarchical list of "bones" entered in the Model.Cfg. And these correspond to the selections in a mesh with the same naming. I think the Model.Cfg is more a requirement for the engine, than having anything to do with the rtms.

The naming is important though. If the naming of part of the mesh doesn't match up with the RTM and model.cfg you have problems. An obvious one is that section of the mesh defaulting to the rest-pose in game. Which usually means lots of twisting and distortion.

Unless I've missed something, the A3 RTMS are still off limits legally. So that's why people would opt to use the A2 examples. The problem there, is the means by which you edit them. Currently I don't know if the 3DS max tool set can import RTMs. Alwarren's Blender toolbox doesn't. If you could get them into one of those environments retargetting would be possible. Without that option, it's down to starting with a blank canvas. The downside is the workload. The upside, is the ability to make it something very different.

Object builder should be able to edit rtms too. But I doubt it would be as usable as something like CAT or character studio.

Interesting stuff, excited to try it out ^^

Also, update! Started cleaning up the helmet. Still missing a lot of details, mind you.

Uco4jz4.pngcNaXWbi.png?1

• Like 1

Interesting stuff, excited to try it out ^^

Also, update! Started cleaning up the helmet. Still missing a lot of details, mind you.

Uco4jz4.pngcNaXWbi.png?1

Amazing... my favorite version of the armor

Amazing... my favorite version of the armor

I love the design too, i'ts so awesome looking!! :D I was afraid that it might look a bit cartoony but I think that will not be the case. Happy days!

I'll be busy with school the next couple of weeks, so I won't be able to work on this as much as I'd like. Made some slow progress cleaning the armor parts into a proper high-poly model with all kinds of nice floating geometry so I can finally bake that 3d cake, whoop! I'll see if I can post some more progress pics soon.

Cheers!

Huzzah! Lots of silly progress, not very good to see, but I'm still in the process of cleaning the high poly stuff and slowly adding details here and there. This is the first time I've really modelled high-poly, I've always done low-poly models in the past so thats why this is going so slow, I'm still learning!

Wdz5oVx.jpg

VrbDq82.jpg

Li1cfXf.jpg

• Like 2

Update: Finished the high-poly model and started retopologizing. I couldn't help but do some premature tests with Substance Painter, so here's a sneak peak at how the final product might look.

Shiny screenshots underneath the curtain!

Zt44NXf.png

9rgyRSi.png

s0ASlQo.png

Q5bmwf5.png

• Like 2

YES my god that is amazing work, puts 343 and bungie to shame in my opinion

Hehehe thanks, that's a pretty darn big compliment :)

99.99% done! I have to fix some errors here and there, but its getting close to being finished! After the tweaks are done I'd say its time to start rigging.

Cheers!

873J1Lh.png?1

TaEJiqT.png?1

• Like 6

Well there it is, after some struggles figuring out how config stuff and .rvmats work, I've finally gotten them in-game, though I still haven't been able to get the speculars to work properly. It's far from perfect and there are still some issues I have to fix. However, I'm very happy with how it turned out. Could've been worse, I guess :) I handed them over to the OPTRE devs, so it'll probably be available come next OPTRE update, which probably shouldn't be too long, seeing how things are progressing over at the subreddit.

IubYsCU.jpg

2420F4FD4678420E287B3437D229F460BECBEE13

7EE5427B85B3382823A7A474D7CE7B76D3844973

LieHuVr.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 4

Loving it! Always did like the CH252 from 3. As far as the orange visor goes, I hope it does work for you, IMO it's one of the more prominent features of the helmet and I'm disappointed some kind of visor is not included in OPTRE.

Loving it! Always did like the CH252 from 3. As far as the orange visor goes, I hope it does work for you, IMO it's one of the more prominent features of the helmet and I'm disappointed some kind of visor is not included in OPTRE.

We already released a WIP version of a new visor system which we are going to introduce in the next version.

• Like 1

Ask, and ye might recieve...

CDA8DCA7229907A5D182E8128256F988B3DACD58

I added some randomization to whether they get a visor-equipped helmet or not. Just like in halo 3! Also, to confirm, these guys will be coming to Operation Trebuchet: First Contact in their next update.

• Like 7

I added some randomization to whether they get a visor-equipped helmet or not. Just like in halo 3! Also, to confirm, these guys will be coming to Operation Trebuchet: First Contact in their next update.

First Contact eh? I thought FC was only for the Covenant things....

First Contact eh? I thought FC was only for the Covenant things....

More info will be coming soon

• Like 4

Bloody hell this is great! I still think that some Gloves are missing tho but that aint a big deal

• Like 1

Goddamn it guys you're too good. You need to stop keep going