barbolani

Know if server has password

Hi!

I wonder if it's possible to know in game if the server has password to access or not.

I've been messing with serverCommand and related commands and the only thing  I achieved is to know if some password is needed to give commands, but not to access the server.

The idea is to know if the mission is running on a open dedi or not.

afaik, there is no scripting solution to determine if a server is locked either via a password or via the "lock" command by an admin.

I'd be interested to know why you would need such a functionality to determine something for a mission ?

For a mission I am asking the player community if they want to build the official server, so some players with no clan / friends, can play on MP in a good environment.

But, if some other people is building open dedis (happens now), the community will be sparse, and not too much fun to pay let's say 30 euro if at the end you are playing alone...

So, maybe I want to script a passworded server detection, endgame if it's not passworded and not the official server. People will allways be able to build their own private.

That is a bit of a strange request to make mission playable only on locked servers. If you want mission to be playable on specific servers only, make server side files without which mission is not going to work and give them only owners of the servers you want your mission to be played on.

bu think about everybody whos playing your mission is able to unpack and edit it as he likes. so he can delete every of ur security things from the mission and make an open dedi.

Why would you keep people from using your MULTIPLAYER mission on public MULTIPLAYER servers ?

What's the point of allow your mission only on locked servers ? Ok, there will be 3,5,10 maybe 20 people of the same clan but you keep random people to play with them.

Sorry to tell you but you contradicts what you just said about regrouping the community.

The idea is to allow only locked servers. If clan people wants to invite whoever, just gives him their pass and done.

If you check Antistasi servers now, you will probably find around 20-40 private and maybe 2-3 open.

The idea is, as there is an official server, made for people who wants a "serious" MP but haven't a clan or enough friends, any casual player goes there, so the owners of the server see some player base around it. I am talking about the 2-3 players you see playing now in those open servers.

So, is not keeping people out from MP, is making people the MP experience more enjoyable.

I am not meaning to make a total bulletproof code, I don't really care if someone "hacks" it.

KK's solution cann't be done, as I want the people to be able to easily create their own servers without any permission. What I want is an easy check like: your server is not passworded, your server is not the official one, endmission.

I'm against the idea of allow only private servers. You really want a solution ? Well, make server sided code that you don't share. But I will stop supporting the mission immediatly and focus on rebuilding as it was before.

If you want an official server, fine. I have a dedicated server which surely can handle a few players.

i also dont like te idea that the mission maker is dictating where and how a mission should be played 

i think a server owner is perfectly capable on what missions suites his server best based on his server visits

I'm against the idea of allow only private servers. You really want a solution ? Well, make server sided code that you don't share. But I will stop supporting the mission immediatly and focus on rebuilding as it was before.

If you want an official server, fine. I have a dedicated server which surely can handle a few players.

LOL

I also don't see the point. Quality Multiplayer in public servers is more than doable without any password if you have the right level of staffing and organisation.

You seem to think it doesn't exist. I would suggest you try a few more servers before you make such a judgement.

I do agree though, that there are a  lot of badly run, disorganised servers out there

Guys, I think you misunderstand the intention.

I am not meaning other open servers will do wrong. Indeed they don't (AFAIK)

What I mean is the few casual MP players are sparsed through the few public servers. What I want is to "collect" them to one. Currently I see 43 servers, only 5 opened, with a total of 7 players.

Players from the community are eager to share a dedi cost, but if they do so, and in the end they see they are playing alone, they will be dissapointed.

If with donations from, let's say 5 players I rent a 15 slot server, it would be enough room for other 10 casual players who can join if they want to play Antistasi in MP with other mission fans.

I don't want to make any server sided code, protection or whatever because it will affect the other 38 closed servers.

how do those casual players obtain the server Password? like you said they are just casual players wanting to hit a button on a server browser and play the game

how do those casual players obtain the server Password? like you said they are just casual players wanting to hit a button on a server browser and play the game

he means that he wants one official public server without password protection...

he means that he wants one official public server without password protection...

Exactly

Then noone can make a public server to regroup the community ? Nonsense.

I'll stop posting here. Keep people from using a public mission on their public server is... I don't have the words.

Well, barbolani I hope you won't fuck this up.

ok then he means when a server is locked with a password the mission wont run

then again he's dictating where and how the server is run on his terms

i hope people stop supporting that kind of missions

ok then he means when a server is locked with a password the mission wont run

thats not correct again. he says he wants the mission run on one open public server and as many closed dedis as like to run it.

the mission should not run at other open servers than the official one.

i m with u he wants to dictate who is runnig the mission how. 

Then noone can make a public server to regroup the community ? Nonsense.

I'll stop posting here. Keep people from using a public mission on their public server is... I don't have the words.

Well, barbolani I hope you won't fuck this up.

ATM this is just an idea, and I am just thinking about it.

So PLEASE find the words.

Right now I don't see the cons. Who would be negatively affected by this???

If the player base was the same than KOTH, then I wouldn't do anything.

@spidypiet and @sarogahtyp:

You can check the first couple of lines of my init.sqf to see I am not the kind of person who edits missions thinking he's Bill Gates protecting his code. Specially when lots of ppl in this forums, and OFPEC helped me a lot on developing it.

This said, I don't see where in the laws of god, zeus, odin or obama says I cannot dictate how you run the mission I've worked for thousands (yes, thousands, add me on Steam, those hours are mostly editing) of hours. If I want, I can publish a patch with hint "Barbolani is very handsome, give me your girlfriend number", despite I won't get angry if harmdhast edits the pbo and changes the line by hint "Barbolani is ugly as a baguette"

You are free to play it or not, same as me developing in one way or another.

Well. I don't think you're "an ugly baguette". It's just the idea that I personnaly find dumb. And yes you are free to do wathever you want.

For the solution, I think you can get the state of the game with a server sided extension. Don't forget to Rap the mission then it's more difficult to edit.

I am not asking you how to code this.

I am asking you why you think is a bad idea.

I am not asking you how to code this.

I am asking you why you think is a bad idea.

You gave the answer yourself. If you want to talk we can do it on steam that way we can focus on how to made what you want on this thread

Now I understand you better.

Basically you have stated there are many server out there that are empty.

This is true for every server some of the time.

And that you want these casual players to play on 1 server.

Well here's the thing, that's what every community leader wants to happen on their server..............................

Look at it from a different aspect.

Is a server based in New Zealand or Australia, going to have its local population playing when the European servers are the busiest ?

The answer is obviously NO

So when you see an empty server, these are the three possibilities for it

1. Somebody is hosting  a dedi that is simply not being used
  2. Somebody is hosting a server that may only be used on certain days, evenings of the week at there local time
  3. Somebody is hosting a server that is populated nearly every day but in a different time zone as to when you look.

and your solution to this, is to add another server into the affray.

Getting your server populated takes a hell of a lot of effort over a considerable period of time.

Trying to shortcut that by creating a mission that will only work on 1 server without a password and allowing that mission to work on any other server that is passworded is not going to solve that.

It is actually done the other way around.

You build your community up on whatever is available and admin it and organise it correctly.

This then attracts more numbers as time goes by.

These numbers then attract more players.

The more players you have, the more admins you can find and the more mission developers you can create.

At that point you cannot relax, you have to then step it up a notch by attracting more mature players to become admins and work harder at the internal discipline.

This is a continuous cycle that never stops. If you take your hands of the reigns for a little bit, all the effort you put in starts to subside.

I've been doing this since 2003 and in that time, it has burnt me out twice where I have had to take a good few months break, to then come back and have to piece it all together again.

I am very fortunate that I have some great technical guys and great admins backing me up and supporting me and as every month goes by we are continously exploring new avenues and new methods. The work NEVER stops

Unfortunately the "Official" servers are not where that standard is, there is simply not enough mature  admins and organised gameplay on there to set a standard and maintain it.

This is in no way a deriogatory statement  or undermining of their efforts.

Creating a fabulous mission isnt going to build a community for you by simply just having 1 server that runs the mission

If your not organised and you dont have the admins to maintain the standard you want to achieve, it will fail

Your best way forward here, is to create your mission, release it with a Eula that allows modification and see where it goes.

If it's a good concept it will survive and be modded to make it better. If its a poor concept it will simply fail.

People automatically tend to gather on a few servers instead of beeing evently spread out arcross all the available servers.

I don't think you really have to worry about that...

Regardless, I understand your intention and it is completely up to you if you want to handle it that way. (wish people would stop bitching about it)

As KK mentioned before, using mandatory local files(addon?) can be an effective solution to this.

In theory, you have a lot of possibilities to handle things like that. Just requires some creativity.

Detecting if a server is locked is also doable, but only with an extension. I don't think there is an other way.

there are hardly any "official" servers https://arma3.com/servers

most servers are run by community's for community's 

the server is free obtainable thru steam ,running on dedicated rented gameservers

or even dedicated boxes or hosted from the home enviroment who can tell the diffence on the browser?

and sure i'll respect your creativity and you'r free todo anything you desire

but i dont see any benefit of excluding your own mission from the majority of servers