Frankdatank1218

Arma 3 being upgrade to 64 bit

I'm surprised that 64-bit is available on Dev but with so little fanfare, e.g. must users add a command line to ensure 64-bit exe? is there visual confirmation in the menu screen?

3 minutes ago, domokun said:

I'm surprised that 64-bit is available on Dev but with so little fanfare, e.g. must users add a command line to ensure 64-bit exe? is there visual confirmation in the menu screen?

You must select it in the launcher's parameters.
There's an OPREP coming, they'll probably make more noise when it's out.

6 minutes ago, domokun said:

Great but the binary is out so they should at least document it.

After all they published OPREP just 2 days ago and made no mention of it:

https://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-clean-sweep-november-2016

On the Dev Branch changelog it said a new OPREP would be coming soon. 

On another note, initial testing from myself and others is that there is no FPS gain just a more stable FPS rate and access to more memory. 

36 minutes ago, domokun said:

Great! So there's an option in the launcher's Advanced parameters?

i.e. on this screen?

Yeah, right there. You need to switch to the development branch first though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flax_ said:

On another note, initial testing from myself and others is that there is no FPS gain just a more stable FPS rate and access to more memory. 

Yep see the same. But i have left my settings as is Very High or above and set my VD to 10000m with 7500m DD and no major FPS drops like before. I also watched my ram hit 5.5Gb committed to A3(YAY that 16Gb of memory bought years ago, now justified!). Theres no fanfare because everyone will instantly shit themselves because there was no instant FPS increase just more stable FPS with higher View Distance/Draw Distance. Either way its a step in the right direction. What memory controller is everyone using for the 64bit exe?     

• Like 1

My call is from cmd scripts and basically goes like this (some variables there):

"%ArmAPath%\arma3_x64.exe" -nosplash -world=vr -enableHT -maxMem=6144 -exThreads=7 "-mod=%mods%" -name=TortuositSP

First try was disappointing, after mission preview from the editor, it was stuck, did not enter mission. Had to be killed. Will have to try vanilla.

EDIT: Vanilla works. Normal beast with mods does not. No entering of mission preview. Permanent use of 12.5% (1/8) cores.

3 hours ago, Greenfist said:

Yeah, right there. You need to switch to the development branch first though.

Thanks but I'm already on Dev, I just failed to check the Parameters page.

I downloadd 5+ GB last night and it swamped our meagre broadband for several hours.

Although higher performance is always welcome, I'm more interested in greater stability (goodbye 3fps memory leak) and less fluctuations.

3 hours ago, tortuosit said:

First try was disappointing, after mission preview from the editor, it was stuck, did not enter mission. Had to be killed. Will have to try vanilla.

EDIT: Vanilla works. Normal beast with mods does not. No entering of mission preview. Permanent use of 12.5% (1/8) cores.

After some testing I found: Without @shacktac_user_interface arma3_x64.exe works for me.

Is 64bit forced  when you have a 64 bit OS without using any perimeters on vanilla Arma?

21 minutes ago, minh707 said:

Is 64bit forced  when you have a 64 bit OS without using any perimeters on vanilla Arma?

Vanilla ArmA doesn't have 64 bit yet, it's only on Dev branch and I believe it gives you the option when you open up the launcher, where you have the option to use the 64 bit or 32 bit, not 100% sure it's the default, it wasn't on mine, I had to select it to get it working, along with the 64 bit malloc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, minh707 said:

No it isn't. By default Arma 3 runs on the 32-bit platform.

To get A3 to run on the 64-bit platform you need to:

a) switch from the Main Branch to the Dev Branch (approx 5+ GB download)

b) switch from the 32-bit to the 64-bit platform (A3 Launcher > Parameters)

• Like 2

When 64 bits comes to the stable branch, we will still be able to select 32 bits?

Yes... there has been dropping of support for any games from 32 bit access once 64 bit becomes available. Maybe in 3-4 years time all games will be 64 bit but not yet.

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but 64 bit is going to change:

a) lower stuttering because data loaded from memory instead of hdd (in case using ssd this change will be minimal)

b) enabler for future technologies which requires more memory

c) arma server performance/number of players increase? Don't know if the memory is a bottleneck or some other parameter currently.

d) higher resolution textures (point B) ? I think the textures has to be loaded to system memory not only the GPU's memory?

On 12/14/2016 at 10:35 AM, domokun said:

Great! So there's an option in the launcher's Advanced parameters?

i.e. on this screen?

jUiFpWA.png

Great but the binary is out so they should at least document it.

After all they published OPREP just 2 days ago and made no mention of it:

https://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-clean-sweep-november-2016

Yes there are settings for it once you are on the dev branch.

IhHxH2h.png

On 12/27/2016 at 0:22 PM, donnovan said:

When 64 bits comes to the stable branch, we will still be able to select 32 bits?

Yes, when the new version is out you will be able to switch between the 32 bit and 64 bit version with the launcher.

• Like 1