Frankdatank1218

Arma 3 being upgrade to 64 bit

The lods of grass and scrub have worse pop and transition changes. They constantly change shape right under your feet it is horrid and totally breaks immersion. It is definatly worse than before Apex.

What GPU and settings do you use? Latest updated cured the heavy lod switching for me. Using a GTX 980 with 365.19 drivers.

Anyway. Really looking forward to the 64-bit upgrade since as you mention I also experiencing some stutter.

/KC

Im on a gtx 1080.

The lod switching has never been good but it is defo worse since Apex on all same hardware. Same on Amd too tried both.

On Stratis it is constantly changing the ball looking scrub changes like 4 times in the space of 4 steps forward.

Wish they would just pick one mid to hi res lod and stick to it. Non of the lods look any better than the last. Flickering landscapes put you off so much.

Changed mallocs and framesahead settings nothing alters the stutters and lod changes.

I assume you have objects on Ultra?

/KC

Im on a gtx 1080.

The lod switching has never been good but it is defo worse since Apex on all same hardware. Same on Amd too tried both.

On Stratis it is constantly changing the ball looking scrub changes like 4 times in the space of 4 steps forward.

Wish they would just pick one mid to hi res lod and stick to it. Non of the lods look any better than the last. Flickering landscapes put you off so much.

Changed mallocs and framesahead settings nothing alters the stutters and lod changes.

There is a thread in development branch about this lod problem . Sucky issue we know.

https://youtu.be/TTI_Nj6s5hc

Take a look at this, if only arma 3 had character movements like this it might feel so much better.

Remember it is all about how we feel in the end. Laggy, crappy loading times, everything like that makes us crazy.

I am happy they did what they did and gave us a chance to mod, script everything but having new features now? might require a completely new arma engine.

Are you willing to go with that? and purchase another arma game if they could remove half of the hates we have about arma 2-3 now?

I am just on the fence about everything.

Take a look at this, if only arma 3 had character movements like this it might feel so much better.

Good Lord, <insert generic third person console shooter>-like movement was exactly what Arma 3 needed. What's next, "press space to slide into nearest cover"? :D

No, in all seriousness, an upgrade to 64-bit won't do anything about the at times very clunky animation system. Unfortunately.

• Like 2

Good Lord, <insert generic third person console shooter>-like movement was exactly what Arma 3 needed. What's next, "press space to slide into nearest cover"? :D

No, in all seriousness, an upgrade to 64-bit won't do anything about the at times very clunky animation system. Unfortunately.

So moving to 64 bit, wont allow for the enfusion engine to be <inserted here> fix for even that?

So whats the real purpose at this stage to completely move to 64 bit? not the new engine just for the DLC?

and no that video isnt anything like a 3rd person console movement system. It is actually what arma needed, a smooth movement system. Not COD jump in your face video game.

It's probably because there have been a lot of bugs with memory management, leading to crahses or playing with 3FPS. Also as has been pointed out in the last SITREP, there are some perfomance gains when using a high view distance. 

Aside from that we won't get anything.

So moving to 64 bit, wont allow for the enfusion engine to be <inserted here> fix for even that?

So whats the real purpose at this stage to completely move to 64 bit? not the new engine just for the DLC?

and no that video isnt anything like a 3rd person console movement system. It is actually what arma needed, a smooth movement system. Not COD jump in your face video game.

Moving to 64 bit has nothing to do with the game's animation system or the way it controls. It simply allows the engine (which is not the Enfusion one used in DayZ but RV4 by the way) to allocate more memory. If anything, I'd expect shorter loading times or less stuttering when the game loads assets during a mission. Certainly no magic cure for the issues the game still has.

• Like 5

Well, it looks like the 1.66 update still hasn't cured the dreaded 3fps problem. Someone give me a nudge when the 64bit.exe arrives.

While the video is unrelated to the topic, I'm still amazed how can one be so negative about that "<insert generic third person console shooter>-like movement".  And I've seen many similiar comments.

I just don't see anything to nag about. Movement is smoother, raising and lowering weapon actually work etc. If that movement had Arma 3:s stances and all what would be so horrible about it?

Holy damn, If rasing and lowering weapon worked like that in A3, I'd be amazed. Current system is a mess. Even the current system in DayZ SA is miles ahead.

Where is the 64 bit client that everyone including Bohemia has been talking about?

Where are the 64 bit performance gains?

Counter-question: When did bohemia say that 1.66 will come with 64-bit support?

...Oh yeah right! They didn't!

• Like 7

you will first hear about 64 bit support when i t reaches Dev Branch, and it's not there yet, so it's till a good way off .

• Like 1

Well, it looks like the 1.66 update still hasn't cured the dreaded 3fps problem. Someone give me a nudge when the 64bit.exe arrives.

what makes you think being a 64 bit will sort the memory allocator  loss. ?

• Like 1

double post

Edited by reschke

you will first hear about 64 bit support when i t reaches Dev Branch, and it's not there yet, so it's till a good way off .

I would imagine that it was because it was referenced in this SITREP a few weeks ago. I had many people tell me that they believed that 64-bit was going to be included in the update. I was among one of them as I spent some time in the RC branch and noticed significant improvement in some areas. BUT ALAS...we were mistaken.

What I'd like to know is why there is another thread discussing the 64bit upgrade when there is already a thread for it:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/189200-arma-3-being-upgrade-to-64-bit/

and in the same section as this thread of all places.

I personally do not think they are the same thing as one was started long before the question was asked by the OP in this thread.

My guess is on X-mas eve :)

/KC

I would imagine that it was because it was referenced in this SITREP a few weeks ago. I had many people tell me that they believed that 64-bit was going to be included in the update. I was among one of them as I spent some time in the RC branch and noticed significant improvement in some areas. BUT ALAS...we were mistaken.

I read it too, and nowhere was I under the impression it would be released with 1.66

In our recent Roadmap 2016-17 blog, Creative Director Jay Crowe briefly mentioned the 64-bit client of the game. While we plan to publish a separate OPREP on the topic closer to its Dev-Branch release

I paid particular attention to the part in red, seeing as I run Dev branch updates. There has been no mention of any such upgrade yet on DEV Branch, I cannot see how anyone could interpret that 64 bit exe would be included in the 1.66 update.

• Like 3

I read it too, and nowhere was I under the impression it would be released with 1.66

I paid particular attention to the part in red, seeing as I run Dev branch updates. There has been no mention of any such upgrade yet on DEV Branch, I cannot see how anyone could interpret that 64 bit exe would be included in the 1.66 update.

Don't play around with Dev Branch much on my end. I stick to the RC branches now when they come up.