Frankdatank1218

Arma 3 being upgrade to 64 bit

Well game engines are made out of layers of systems.Low level systems are closer to hardware and those

are really outdated with single threaded architecture. Not only that but all systems are connected. Make changes

to collision, and physX needs additional work too for example. As we can see major changes in engine are done before

release when no one is playing game.So if programmers and engineers don't foresee future tech and start

refactoring low level systems to fully utilize future tech you get where Arma is atm.

therefor is the enfusion engine for future games like dayz and hopefully arma4  / or maybe updated a3

Single player conversion!!! Think about it how many people really play single player compared to multiplayer..But I guess its a start...Not complaining but logic says they should start with multiplayer because we know there will be major bugs to be worked out.

Single player conversion!!! Think about it how many people really play single player compared to multiplayer..But I guess its a start...Not complaining but logic says they should start with multiplayer because we know there will be major bugs to be worked out.

And how do you know how many ? I know a lot of people playing mainly SP.

• Like 7

When will Arma 3 go to 128 bits?

Hello donnovan,

you don't have to wait for 128 bits of Arma 3, you can have it right now! Just start the game and then start it again and again and again. Then you will have 4x32=128 bits of Arma 3 and it will also ensure that it will utilize every and all available resources on your PC. :icon_twisted: BISclaimer: your PC will probably catch on fire and burn when you do this.

Omg, this is great! HAHA

The biggest complaint Apex Protocol had was it was a co-op centric campaign. As such, many of its designs were not happily accepting by milsim players, because many systems were "dumbed down" for the ease of play a drop-in-drop-out system was. Respawn systems work for a co-op session, but for those who wanted a milsim session were absolutely boned.

I am someone who put in over 900 hours into the franchise, with nearly 300 in ArmA III. None of that was online. I never even bothered to finish the second mission in Apex Protocol, because I didn't like how I was an endlessly cloned super soldier who had to Rambo the whole game. I stopped right after completing the objective where you had to bomb a convoy. That should tell you I didn't get far at all.

The fact BI listened to this niche base of players shows they at least have to be mindful of the more glaring problems, like performance. They will hopefully tackle performance with updates here, but I think it's fair to say your best bet of a boost is from their next project. The Enfusion Engine looks to be their base for new projects, so all I ask of it is it supports similar mod tools ArmA already has; you don't want people who've made ACE have to work with an entirely alien system, for example.

After all, what's an easier bubble to pop and fix: a campaign that people want to play in a certain way, or core engine and design decisions that play a role in performance?

• Like 1

And how do you know how many ? I know a lot of people playing mainly SP.

I've got 2500 hours of just Sp... :) But anyway, back on topic..

Hello donnovan,

you don't have to wait for 128 bits of Arma 3, you can have it right now! Just start the game and then start it again and again and again. Then you will have 4x32=128 bits of Arma 3 and it will also ensure that it will utilize every and all available resources on your PC. :icon_twisted: BISclaimer: your PC will probably catch on fire and burn when you do this.

Woo, Arma 3 256 bits! Finally Arma 3 uses all CPU resources, but strangely it feels a bit more sluggish than 32 bit build... Needs more optimization!  ;)

Arma3%20256bit.jpg

I can actually load 12 with -nopause flag before they start crashing, but that's not 2^n so it doesn't count  :P

• Like 3

Woo, Arma 3 256 bits! Finally Arma 3 uses all CPU resources, but strangely it feels a bit more sluggish than 32 bit build... Needs more optimization!  ;)

I can actually load 12 with -nopause flag before they start crashing, but that's not 2^n so it doesn't count  :P

Well now you know you have a backup to cook on if your stove ever breaks...

• Like 1

if the networkcode is also 64bit there will be a good improvment that you can see if you play online.

but i really hope the networkcode is going to be 64bit. 

Explain that. 

I often got the feeling, that most people think: "Just use 64 bit - It makes everything better ".

Adressing more memory? Great. I got that. 

But how would a "64 bit netcode" help SO much?

Wow, I can't wait for the 64-bit exe to come out and crush everyone's dream. The level of incompetence in here is the reason why no devs are chiming in. 

• Like 1

You can see what 64 bit does to an old game right now with Skyrim Special Edition.

The game now needs twice the minimum reqirements of the original but looks or runs only marginally better than the original one on a now recommended setup, but old engine quirks and bugs are still the same.

• Like 1

You can see what 64 bit does to an old game right now with Skyrim Special Edition.

The game now needs twice the minimum reqirements of the original but looks or runs only marginally better than the original one on a now recommended setup, but old engine quirks and bugs are still the same.

Can agree. When I ran Skyrim Special Edition with the 64bit I instantly noticed heaps more frames and being able to render double the amount of shit on screen compared to the Vanilla Skyrim. Everyone says 64bit doesnt do much, which is fair enough, but holy shit did it do a lot with Skyrim performance. And yes, Skyrim is a different game, though if the 64bit can give that much improvement over the 32bit then there is hope haha. 

Can agree. When I ran Skyrim Special Edition with the 64bit I instantly noticed heaps more frames and being able to render double the amount of shit on screen compared to the Vanilla Skyrim. Everyone says 64bit doesnt do much, which is fair enough, but holy shit did it do a lot with Skyrim performance. And yes, Skyrim is a different game, though if the 64bit can give that much improvement over the 32bit then there is hope haha. 

If you tried to run it on the same machine as before you would not agree.

The same detail and lighting was achievable with some mods and .ini tweaks with less performance impact.

I had to upgrade from a GTX 760 to a GTX 1060 for the same frane rate in basically the same game.

The "bad performance" statements you see a lot mention good SP but bad MP performance, mostly in user made missions. Given the complexity missions can reach I don't think 64 bit will change that a lot when not terrain and objects rendering is stalling the performance but AI and scripts and synchronization of all that for 40 Players in realtime.

In CTI and COOP missions you can really feel the drop after a while when masses of AI spawn at a time when an new area of operations goes active and the firefight begins with fire, sounds and smoke.

If you tried to run it on the same machine as before you would not agree.

The same detail and lighting was achievable with some mods and .ini tweaks with less performance impact.

I had to upgrade from a GTX 760 to a GTX 1060 for the same frane rate in basically the same game.

The "bad performance" statements you see a lot mention good SP but bad MP performance, mostly in user made missions. Given the complexity missions can reach I don't think 64 bit will change that a lot when not terrain and objects rendering is stalling the performance but AI and scripts and synchronization of all that for 40 Players in realtime.

In CTI and COOP missions you can really feel the drop after a while when masses of AI spawn at a time when an new area of operations goes active and the firefight begins with fire, sounds and smoke.

Well I have been running it on the same machine. I haven't upgraded my PC at all. 

GTX 760

16gb RAM

i7 4770

Works perfectly fine, or in my case better with 64bit as I stated. All I'm interested in with 64bit is being able to run with higher viewdistance. Hoping the caching from the RAM allows the map to be loaded a bit quicker etc. 

• Like 1

I just wish they had some performance update like DayZ standalone had, use to play that game on 25-30 fps  1.60 droped in with performance update (and it is still 32bit) now i am runing 50-60 in towns and 80-120 outside of the towns,and i just dont get it why devs dont do the same for arma 3.
That is pissing me off the most,DayZ is getting everything from audio update from arma 3 from visual upgrade models etc. But Arma 3 devs dont take shit from them. XD

• Like 1

I just wish they had some performance update like DayZ standalone had, use to play that game on 25-30 fps  1.60 droped in with performance update (and it is still 32bit) now i am runing 50-60 in towns and 80-120 outside of the towns,and i just dont get it why devs dont do the same for arma 3.

That is pissing me off the most,DayZ is getting everything from audio update from arma 3 from visual upgrade models etc. But Arma 3 devs dont take shit from them. XD

Dayz uses a different engine now basically. Bohemia is not going to do the same massive engine overhaul to a game released 3 years ago.

dayz is the test-bed for BI's upcoming engine (enfusion). Test-bed means continuous changes etc etc

• Like 5

Dayz uses a different engine now basically. Bohemia is not going to do the same massive engine overhaul to a game released 3 years ago.

I am not so sure about that...I  can imagine that BI will keep Arma 3 as a platform for a very long time and will merge the Enfusion tech in the existing engine step by step (as far as possible). This is something they will have to do for future Arma projects anyway and would make more sense for me than starting a complete new Arma game. I mean there would be even no need for creating complete new maps, they could easily do a Chernarus + version for A 3 once DayZ has gone final and/or use some of the older and smaller maps like Zargabad, Utes, Proving Ground etc. for Project Argo. The other way round they could use especially Altis for a DayZ dlc.

just my thoughts :)

• Like 1

I am not so sure about that...I  can imagine that BI will keep Arma 3 as a platform for a very long time and will merge the Enfusion tech in the existing engine step by step (as far as possible). This is something they will have to do for future Arma projects anyway and would make more sense for me than starting a complete new Arma game. I mean there would be even no need for creating complete new maps, they could easily do a Chernarus + version for A 3 once DayZ has gone final and/or use some of the older and smaller maps like Zargabad, Utes, Proving Ground etc. for Project Argo. The other way round they could use especially Altis for a DayZ dlc.

just my thoughts :)

BI has already said quite a few times that they don't intend to change Arma 3 performance significantly over the life of the product. They have no plans to overhaul the games engine whatsoever. Performance will stay about the same for the rest of the games playable lifetime, that is BI's stated intentions.

In our recent Roadmap 2016-17 blog, Creative Director Jay Crowe briefly mentioned the 64-bit client of the game. While we plan to publish a separate OPREP on the topic closer to its Dev-Branch release, some details can already be shared now. Richard Biely, one of the programmers responsible for the development, throws some of the facts on the table: "Being able to utilize virtually all your system's memory, the performance of Arma 3 should become a lot more consistent. With the ability to cache a huge amount of data, less loading is required. This translates into less work for the game to do and ultimately into more fluent gameplay. Rather than introducing a miraculous framerate increase, an improvement in the performance will be most visible when playing the game with a long view distance. The amount of data to cache is rather large in this case and the game will benefit greatly from an increased amount of available RAM." Naturally, such a great change comes with some limitations. Players will not be able to run 64-bit Arma 3 on 32-bit operation systems, or 32-bit only CPUs.

That's all we get, while not a miracle it' still nice and I'm quite hyped for it.

• Like 1

DayZ is a Beta...

64bit will make a big difference to the game for people like me with a top end pc that is already set up correctly.

The 64bit skyrim has made a huge difference to me on my system.

Skyrim had stutter issues on windows 10 on both amd and nvidia. Im now running the game on ugrids 11 and it is totally smooth now. That jyst wasnt possible before. No crashes or stutters even near Riften.

Arma 3 since Apex has very bad stutters and hitches they started in the beta while the regular game had non.

The lods of grass and scrub have worse pop and transition changes. They constantly change shape right under your feet it is horrid and totally breaks immersion. It is definatly worse than before Apex.

I am hoping the 64bit will help with the loading of texture and lods and hopefully fix the stutter which may be to do with lod changes in Apex.

My fps is very high in game so i notice drops and stutter more than say someone with low fps.

64bit will give us more stable fps rather than higher and should give us larger view distances which will make the game much better as the landscapes are part of the combat and gameplay. It was not suposed to be a fog simulator.

So dont expect jumps in fps but more a more stable game. The Ai will still be a problem and as soon as the Ai inreracts you will still get huge fos drops.

Decent AI will need a new engine. Test the ai in the editor. I can have lots of frendly units on screen and still have very high fps add one enemy and the game takes a hot steaming dump. Even one enemy heli and one friendly cause large fps drops and a non smooth game.