freegoon

Black boxes over textures

Hi there!

I have recently started noticing a strange graphical glitch. In low-light conditions (evening generally), textures are sometimes covered up with black shapes for a short period of time. I suppose the glitch has something to do with the lighting effects. I tested this using the Eden editor. I put a lightsource next to a furniture prop in editor and set the time to seven o'clock in the evening. Now, when I shot the prop it flickered black for a second, I suspect due to the muzzle flash of the gun that temporarily lit the surroundings. The same artifacts appear over explosions at times. I let a helicopter crash in Eden editor once and the resulting explosion was partly covered in a black shape that went away after a second. Strangely, this only happens from time to time and can often not be reproduced. I wonder if this might be related to my graphics card. My drivers are up-to-date and my GPU is only half a year old. I hope somebody can help me with this.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Here are a few screenshots of the issue:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198059934509/screenshots/

Well i don't see any black boxes in the picture of the explosion itself. Unless you mean the tiles in the background of the pause menu, but thats intended behaviour.

You sure the display drivers didnt crash at any point/card glitched an artifact onto your screen (and it getting stuck like that, sort of like two images layed over top of eachother with some transperency)?

Well i don't see any black boxes in the picture of the explosion itself. Unless you mean the tiles in the background of the pause menu, but thats intended behaviour.

You sure the display drivers didnt crash at any point/card glitched an artifact onto your screen (and it getting stuck like that, sort of like two images layed over top of eachother with some transperency)?

The first picture shows a pixellated black shape in place of the explosion. I had trouble making screenshots of the shapes because they only showed for a very short time (in the two other pictures the artifacts are visible left of the explosion). But I guess you are right. What you called transparency is probably the right way to describe it. The black shapes appear only for a few milliseconds on top of the explosions or around them. This happens only for the first few seconds. If I pause the game at the time of the explosion, minimize the game via ALT ESC and then open it up again the flickering also reappears while the game is paused (see the first picture). But I don't know what to make of this. Do you think it is the card?

could be the card, crappily manufactured it might cause artifacts like that, try reinstalling directX and your video card drivers first tho.

Any Mods?

No, I don't use any mods. I will try reinstalling my drivers and see if it helps.

It's not your GPU in my opinion. This is a relatively widespread glitch, and I have had it happen a few times to me-on two different cards. It seems to be when the card is struggling to render everything on screen for a large explosion. It happened more frequently on my GTX 760, but I now have a GTX 980 and it has happened once or twice on it as well. Running an addon like blastcore which makes explosions larger can increase the likelihood of the glitch occurring. 

How often does it happen? Is it a frequent occurrence? What are you system specs and graphics settings please?

EDIT : This actually just happened to me again today. I was being shot at by a heavy machine gun while there was heavy rain falling-machine gun muzzle flashes went black.

It's not your GPU in my opinion. This is a relatively widespread glitch, and I have had it happen a few times to me-on two different cards. It seems to be when the card is struggling to render everything on screen for a large explosion. It happened more frequently on my GTX 760, but I now have a GTX 980 and it has happened once or twice on it as well. Running an addon like blastcore which makes explosions larger can increase the likelihood of the glitch occurring. 

How often does it happen? Is it a frequent occurrence? What are you system specs and graphics settings please?

EDIT : This actually just happened to me again today. I was being shot at by a heavy machine gun while there was heavy rain falling-machine gun muzzle flashes went black.

That is interesting. To answer your question, the glitch happens to me only from time to time, always at night or in the evening. If I hadn't used the editor I probably wouldn't have noticed. It seems to depend on the distance between player and explosion, the terrain, even the type of vehicle. Letting an empty CH-67 Huron crash at the Stratis air base around 100 metres away from myself for example always causes the glitch for me. By the way, I doubt that it is a driver issue, I just refreshed my OS and reinstalled the drivers and the glitch is still there.

My system:

I7-4790K

GTX 980Ti

16GB RAM

1TB HD

Most settings are maxed out. Visiblity is set at around 3200 meters. I do not use any mods right now.

it's not a driver issue. This has happened on and off for over a year for me-but it is quite infrequent for me and I never worried about it.

I see. I guess it must be a relatively common problem. Maybe Bohemia addresses it in some of the upcoming patches. I wonder if it might even be worth reporting. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Usually, pixellated  black tiles occurs when the part of image is too bright. Often, in explosions by night. I did some tests with a "custom nuclear explosion". If everything came well by day, it was hard to "damper" the brightness with acceptable parameters to avoid these black tiles by night (NVG or not). This should not appear with Arma engine, only with some custom settings in scripts using setLightBrithness and such commands, unwisely. But,... everything is possible and there could be some weird visual effects since new NVIDIA drivers issue and/or new features for Arma.

Hi,

I post here since I can't create a new thread.

I have a really weird problem with artifacts. I have thin black lines that appear when there's quantity of of buildings.

It only appears when I'm playing Battle Royale. There's no problem in the vanilla game.

I searched but couldn't find someone complaining about the same issue linked to BR.

It didn't appeared at start but suddenly one day.

I thought it was linked to my GPU since it appeared after I overclocked it. But I've changed for a gtx 1070 and the problem is still there.

My CPU is also overclocked but the game ran perfectly with the OC setup.

Still it may be a hardware issue since it appeared after a night where GPU and CPU where running quite hot.

Though I have no problem with any other game.

It doesn't disappear even when turning AA off.

I am desperate... help

@ oneEyedCat Some mods did that, like Unsung. Problem of unclosed model vertices or something like that. But you should try different versions of your video driver. Sometimes a downgrade (or an upgrade if you're not up-to-date) can solve that! I experienced that on NVIDIA M series (for laptops).

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer! It's reassuring about my hardware.

It's complicated to downgrade my drivers since my GPU is from the new gen. There are not so much artifacts, I can live with it but maybe should I report the bug to the devs with hope they fix it?

maybe should I report the bug to the devs with hope they fix it?

Yes,.. but addon devs. If not on  Vanilla + DLCs, there is nothing to do with BI devs. There was some improvements on Unsung units + improvements on NVIDIA drivers also. It's difficult to understand where is the cursor between BI engine, moders imprecision and poor driver engine. Usually, these lines appears with the shadow settings, depending also on the version of your driver. You can also report at NVIDIA, but you will have to send screenshots and full configuration.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the answers. I already wrote to BR devs, will do also to the others. I'll also try to change shadow settings but I have no great hope...