xxbbcc

Looking for server rental opinions...

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask about this but it is related to Arma 3: I'd like to play online with a few friends of mine and I'm considering renting a game server, rather than buying and running my own. I've never tried this before so I don't have any experience with hosted gaming servers and the features / control panels and the performance of the game. (I ran my own Arma 1 server before but there I had full control of the server.)

I looked at a few rental companies and found that www.gameservers.com offers servers in Dallas where we live. I'd appreciate some feedback if anyone used this service before. I looked at their site but I couldn't find a lot of information, especially about uploading addons / maps / missions. (This is not an ad for the company and I'm not affiliated with them.)

Simple ARMA3 Server ManagementOur custom control panel allows you to configure and customize your ARMA3 server, upload files using FTP, install plugins and mods, switch locations, and add additional administrators.

says it right on their arma 3 server page, which means yes you can put mods and other stuff on there.

In my honest opinion and because I've already come across with many game server providers, with several games, the best thing is to rent/host a dedicated box with a decent hardware configuration.

When you go for a server (like gameservers or any other) provide, you are sharing the hardware with some other clients and games and in most cases the hardware is not able to provide a decent performance just because is shared and also because they rent more than the machine can provide, some server providers even rent shared virtual servers.

Still, gameservers have decent dedicated servers, with machines having an acceptable configurations.

If you are planning to host the server for long time the best thing is to build yourself the hardware and then rent a rack with some company that is providing those services.

I dont know your location, but from my experience and myself being in UE, I've had for some time a dedicated ARMA (2/3) server hosted by http://www.gamingdeluxe.co.uk/and I have no complaints, excellent support and decent price.

Even when  ARMA 3 was in Alpha, I had a Dev server hosted by them, always working flawless.

Oops, now I see you are located in Dallas, I believe gamingdeluxe have their services also in Dallas, still not sure.

, I've had for some time a dedicated ARMA (2/3) server hosted by http://www.gamingdeluxe.co.uk/and I have no complaints, excellent support and decent price.

Check your server regularly for virii and bitcoin miners.

https://www.gameservers.com/dedicated/

If you are planning to host the server for long time the best thing is to build yourself the hardware and then rent a rack with some company that is providing those services.
I dont know your location, but from my experience and myself being in UE, I've had for some time a dedicated ARMA (2/3) server hosted by http://www.gamingdeluxe.co.uk/and I have no complaints, excellent support and decent price.

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure about dedicated servers - they're clearly superior to anything shared but they're also very expensive. I only have a handful of people to play with (8 or less) so paying $70(-ish) a month is a tad too expensive for a hobby that we can't play more than probably once a week (if we're lucky - all people involved have families, some more than one kids, etc.).

The shared hosting looks a lot more sensible, if it works - this is why I posted the question. Your answer somewhat reinforced what I thought: that shared hosts simply over-rent their computers. Since Arma 3 is very CPU-intensive game (even on the server), I'm worried that shared hosting (cheap as it is) will just be a poor experience. I may just end up buying a computer and then inviting people over to directly connect to it from my home when we play.

I have had good luck with Jetfox Gaming Servers... worth a look.

I had 3 on our Server just now and fps was good and the ping from europe was around 100 for the the EU guys.

Good Service and price for a small private group.

I have had good luck with Jetfox Gaming Servers... worth a look.

I had 3 on our Server just now and fps was good and the ping from europe was around 100 for the the EU guys.

Good Service and price for a small private group.

Thank you, I'll check it out. I found other mentions of them on these forums now that I searched for the name and they seem to have a decent reputation.

..I'm considering renting a game server, rather than buying and running my own...

My pal who runs the Mission4Today flight sim website has to pay 1500 GB pounds (2100 US dollars) a year for it, but no problem, the members all donate towards it and cover the costs so its no problem.

You say you've got 8 pals, so if you each donated towards buying or renting your own server the cost would be spread around easily enough.. :)