A.I.M

AiSS - Feat of Arms V2.0.0

So I've done a bit of testing with this mod, and have a little feedback.

1. Needs - More - Aggression. The idea of "try to stay alive" is good, and that's something that should be maintained, but the AI needs to be more aggressive. Move up on the enemy, flank his position, gain elevation, and if that can't be achieved, perform a fighting withdrawal. The AI is too willing to get pined down in the interest of not taking risks. This is just as fatal as a bad charge. Locate the enemy, fire on him directly, or suppress him while your buddy moves, then change position.

2. The desire to move to cover is good. Once fired upon, units spread out to nearby cover - IF there is cover to be had. HOWEVER, I've noticed a lot of instances where a unit will move NEAR cover, and not place it between themselves and the enemy - Standing in front, or beside the rock or wall that could save their life.

3. Abandon hopeless positions. If the enemy is caught in the open, there needs to be an override to get them to disengage, retreat, and regroup. Currently they seem to look for cover, and if it's too far, they just give up and return fire indefinitely.

Hey guys in the middle of job change, and a big move. So update obviously is being delayed. Hopefully I'll have one here soon. NO PROMISES. :P

@blackthorne

1) Bis leaves very little room to play with AI manuevering especially while under fire. Until they come up with a disengage command for scripters I cant do much else.

2)Same as above.

3) same as above. Use to be able to give them the careless command and they would run any were you want them to, but they changed something so that now careless makes them walk. My hands are tied up in most cases. I'll keep plugging away at it you never know. lol

Thanks for the input. :)

@gpgpgpgpgpgpgpgpgpgpgpgpgpg

There is an exclude feature for mission makers. Its in module form. Just sync the module to group leader and they are excluded. That being said. We are working or were working on a menu feature to replace userconfigs so that if it messes with certain missions you can turn it off. This does need to be done. Hopefully in the future it will be so. ;)

The next update will most likely be minor stuff and working on slowing up FOA's start so It doesn't mess with intro scenes.

• Like 1

Quick update: I'm working on Adding static weapons to fray. Also the fix. Just gotta find the missions thats delayed because of FOA. Once thats done New stuff will be Units with static weapon backpacks mod and vanilla will deploy and undeploy weapons, hopefully fix the delay in some missions, and a new AI respawning/spawning feature.

• Like 2

By the way, FOA works perfectly well in dedicated servers. AIs are more responsive and reactive, and FOA doesn't seem to slow down the speed of script since extra calculations are well handled by the server's powerful CPUs. I had to make some script changes at "fn_FOAVO.sqf" to make units' say3ds MP synced (implementing "remoteExecCall"), and fixed minor "variable not defined" errors in FSMs showed up in RPTs. Have been tested for several months at my group's server, and immersion is really improved from vanilla. Nice work, mikey74!  :D

There is an exclude feature for mission makers. Its in module form. Just sync the module to group leader and they are excluded. 

Will definitely look into that. Can't wait to go through vanilla campaigns again with FOA!  :)

Bis leaves very little room to play with AI manuevering especially while under fire. Until they come up with a disengage command for scripters I cant do much else.

There is some kind of work-around. Consider using disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT", disableAI "TARGET", disableAI "AUTOTARGET" and turn the group into safe or cautious mode, and after things are done, enable those AI features back on. Kinda troublesome, but it somehow works when you're eager to deal with something but find yourself out of choice.   ;)

For some reason any time text appears on the screen, like in the mission intros or when opening option menus, the engine will seriously lag out. It's weird but it definitely this mod causing my problem. Apart from that it works like a charm ;)

So, i just downloaded the FOA mod. GREAT MOD btw. I was in the editor and decided to create a paintballesque type of setting in the Virtual Reality map with virtual Blocks randomly placed in a fenced in area and whatnot (pretty fun!), a couple problems i ran into is when i place the AISpawn module down in the starting area for where i want the AI to "re spawn" after they die, they randomly end up spawning outside the fenced starting area even though i have the spawn radius set to the minimum of 1. I have the spawn module synced to each group that i want to re spawn in the starting area and have a Patrol module set inside the area where the obstacles are and that's also synced to them as well so the two groups end up detecting each other and go at it.  Even with spawn on group selected they still end up spawning outside the wall. Is there a way to where i can get them to re spawn inside the starting area and not outside? Another issue i've run into is with ACE3. It's supposed to provide a "more realistic feel" to the game. When I get shot, i go unconscious and then when i wakeup, i cant move and i am lying down face down. I've tried the medical contols, but they don't allow me to get back up. Im not sure if it has to do with the respawn module, but i though i would inform you. I will try without the ACE3 and report back as i haven't had the time to try it without. Thanks a bunch and keep up the great work!

EDIT: So i tried the mod without ACE3 and it seems to work just fine,  But if its loaded, you cannot get up after you re spawn. I think it has something to do with healing yourself? and I still haven't found a way to keep the A.I. from spawning/respawning inside the starting area. 

Not sure what I will do with FOA. Apex has improved AI a ton sense its release. So if you are a fan. Try Arma without FOA. Then try FOA. Then put your suggestions in here. If there is enough interest I'll see about an update or rewrite. AI programing is very time consuming. lol

On 27.8.2016 at 1:33 PM, mikey74 said:

Not sure what I will do with FOA. Apex has improved AI a ton sense its release. So if you are a fan. Try Arma without FOA. Then try FOA. Then put your suggestions in here. If there is enough interest I'll see about an update or rewrite. AI programing is very time consuming. lol

I need help getting your mod to work properly:

I installed the latest version of AISS 3.0 (v2.0.1) by inserting the unzipped "@A.I.S.S. 3 - Feat of Arms V2" folder into Arma 3 root directory. Then I started the Arma 3 Launcher, loaded the AISS mod from there, and then launched Arma 3.

Well, I can't tell whether the mod works or not, because I cannot test it - Arma 3 becomes very sluggish (very strong delay in everything - AI, Gameflow, Ingame-Notifications, etc.) and even the framerate drops massively (I got 19fps on some spots!!).

Is this a bug or did I something wrong while installing/configuring this mod??

PS: I've got other mods/addons installed, too - among them are also AI mods ("Advanced AI Command" and "C2")

I have set "AI Skill" to 0.75 and "AI Accuracy" to 0.25 ("Game Options" -> "Difficulty")

BTW, about Apex/Arma 3 Vanilla AI: no, not really - the AI is incredibly dumb, and what's much, much worse, they (enemy AI) are dumb AND skilled alike - more brainless than zombies but 100% accurate when shooting at me, with almost superhuman reaction times (they literally shoot immediately once I get into their Field of View) and sometimes spotting me from hundreds of meters away; and to top that, it appears that they often detect me *before* actually seeing me - especially enemy tanks/vehicles are notorious for this, starting to fire at me before I even see them (or they see me)...

To put it in metaphors: the enemy AI is like a super-dumb robot with Laser-eyes, supercomputer reflexes and thermal vision...

So much about the Vanilla AI...

T.S.O.M. 

What happened to FOA? Is it dead? I see it is no longer on steam workshop?

Yeh to many people having to many problems. So I pulled it sense I do not have the time to work on it like it deserves.

I need help getting your mod to work properly:

I installed the latest version of AISS 3.0 (v2.0.1) by inserting the unzipped "@A.I.S.S. 3 - Feat of Arms V2" folder into Arma 3 root directory. Then I started the Arma 3 Launcher, loaded the AISS mod from there, and then launched Arma 3.

Well, I can't tell whether the mod works or not, because I cannot test it - Arma 3 becomes very sluggish (very strong delay in everything - AI, Gameflow, Ingame-Notifications, etc.) and even the framerate drops massively (I got 19fps on some spots!!).

Is this a bug or did I something wrong while installing/configuring this mod??

PS: I've got other mods/addons installed, too - among them are also AI mods ("Advanced AI Command" and "C2")

I have set "AI Skill" to 0.75 and "AI Accuracy" to 0.25 ("Game Options" -> "Difficulty")

BTW, about Apex/Arma 3 Vanilla AI: no, not really - the AI is incredibly dumb, and what's much, much worse, they (enemy AI) are dumb AND skilled alike - more brainless than zombies but 100% accurate when shooting at me, with almost superhuman reaction times (they literally shoot immediately once I get into their Field of View) and sometimes spotting me from hundreds of meters away; and to top that, it appears that they often detect me *before* actually seeing me - especially enemy tanks/vehicles are notorious for this, starting to fire at me before I even see them (or they see me)...

To put it in metaphors: the enemy AI is like a super-dumb robot with Laser-eyes, supercomputer reflexes and thermal vision...

So much about the Vanilla AI...

T.S.O.M. 

Ive not experienced that. Usually they are smart. They have flanked me without FOA. They take cover now without FOA. As for the shooting skills turn down the accuracy, and turn up there I forget what its called but its there sway of there weapon. I've not really seen very much interest in FOA so its pretty much gone the way of the dodo. The dodo did come back, but cant promise that with FOA. Right now just helping others when asked and when needed. I've written up a few programs for a couple other mods and couple missions. I don't have as much time to dovout to FOA as it would need. Every time I get it good. Bis makes an update and it goes to poopoo. lol Anyways Try Bcombat, ASR, Vcom, Dac, and/or Hetman. Those are all pretty good AI mods. Those guys know way more about coding than I do.  ;)

Going to have this thread locked. If you need anything regarding FOA. Shoot me a message. I cant promise much but may help.

4 hours ago, mikey74 said:

Going to have this thread locked. If you need anything regarding FOA. Shoot me a message. I cant promise much but may help.

At least I would like to try out myself how good (or bad) Your mod is - but I can't do that, if I can't get it to work properly ;) (see error description in my post You've quoted)   

Those guys know way more about coding than I do.  ;)

Don't be so hard on yourself - I'm new to Arma 3, but I have heard only good things about your AISS mod and when it comes to AI mods, Your mod was frequently and highly recommended :)

T.S.O.M.

On 25/02/2017 at 10:41 AM, mikey74 said:

Yeh to many people having to many problems. So I pulled it sense I do not have the time to work on it like it deserves.

Sad but understandable. How about making it PD? Let other people continue it?

11 hours ago, isenhand said:

Sad but understandable. How about making it PD? Let other people continue it?

What's a PD? I've offered to give it to a few people and I've asked for help. No one has shown interested in either.

There is a file in the download off this forum thread that has the scripts. Its editable. All I ask for is to be recognized if you release anything.

• Like 1