gc8

helicopter waypoint bug

I'm pretty sure I have found bug in helicopter movement. what I wanted to do was to make the helo move using Move waypoint. this works fine first, but when I put some enemies on the mission the helo doesnt move along the waypoint but just makes small movement and stops there.

here's link to the mission that shows the problem:

download

Notes:

I'm using this in the init field of the helo: (group this) setCombatMode "BLUE"; so that it wont engage the enemies.

also the enemies dont have ammo.

Seems like setCombatMode is used for allowing a unit to return fire. https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setCombatMode

Try using setBehaviour instead. https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setBehaviour

I recommend using "CARELESS" if you want the heli to ignore all enemies.

I know setcombatmode BLUE means the unit wont fire. thats how I want it. I tried (group this) setBehaviour "CARELESS"; and although the helo moves to waypoint it also fires at the enemies.

I am having an issue with creating waypoints period.  After making sure I have the 'waypoint (f4)' option selected, and the marker selected, I double click and no waypoint generator appears.  If I double click again, the marker is de-selected.  I tried it several times, it failed to work correctly.  I switched out my mouse, to a newer one and had the same exact result.  I suspect this might be some kind of bug.  I am not sure if anyone else is having the same issue?

I am having an issue with creating waypoints period.  After making sure I have the 'waypoint (f4)' option selected, and the marker selected, I double click and no waypoint generator appears.  If I double click again, the marker is de-selected.  I tried it several times, it failed to work correctly.  I switched out my mouse, to a newer one and had the same exact result.  I suspect this might be some kind of bug.  I am not sure if anyone else is having the same issue?

make sure that after selecting the waypoint tab, you select the group you wish to give the waypoint and then select the type of the waypoint from the menu on right. after that you can click on the map to place a waypoint. I always use the map mode to place waypoints.

Ah, yea use both of them then. :)

thats it! it now works :)

i still think that its bit buggy behavior that the helo wont move when combat mode is BLUE. but its up to  BIS to decide whether they'll fix this.

thats it! it now works :)

i still think that its bit buggy behavior that the helo wont move when combat mode is BLUE. but its up to  BIS to decide whether they'll fix this.

thats definetely not a bug its a feature.

As you can read in the wiki setBehaviour sets the general behavior of a unit/group independent from the fact if there are enemies nearby or not. Its just the setting how much they care about enemies. "Careless" means they dont care about any enemy.

setCombatMode is different from that cause it sets the rules of engagement. So it is the behavior in a combat.

If you set the combat mode to "BLUE" then it means that the ai has the order to not fire. But if the behavior is set to combat then they behave as if they could fire, looking for a good position to fire.

That makes sense if you want a squad to watch all angles for enemies and get a good fire position (setbehavior "combat") but let the enemy come near the squad (setcombat "careless").

And if the enemy is near enough kill em all (setcombat "yellow"). 

thats definetely not a bug its a feature.

As you can read in the wiki setBehaviour sets the general behavior of a unit/group independent from the fact if there are enemies nearby or not. Its just the setting how much they care about enemies. "Careless" means they dont care about any enemy.

setCombatMode is different from that cause it sets the rules of engagement. So it is the behavior in a combat.

If you set the combat mode to "BLUE" then it means that the ai has the order to not fire. But if the behavior is set to combat then they behave as if they could fire, looking for a good position to fire.

That makes sense if you want a squad to watch all angles for enemies and get a good fire position (setbehavior "combat") but let the enemy come near the squad (setcombat "careless").

And if the enemy is near enough kill em all (setcombat "yellow"). 

sure I understand but its still quite odd that the helo just hovers over there and doesnt fly circles for example... after all its supposed to react to the enemy presence so why just stand still and not do combat maneuvering? (while waiting for the command to open fire...) that or following the waypoint is proper way to act IMO.

sure I understand but its still quite odd that the helo just hovers over there and doesnt fly circles for example... after all its supposed to react to the enemy presence so why just stand still and not do combat maneuvering? (while waiting for the command to open fire...) that or following the waypoint is proper way to act IMO.

thats true but not a bug of those commands. its just bad behavior from the ai itself in the given situation.

if u need better behavior then u can try to find a suitable ai addon like vcom or asr ai. but most of them optimizing infantry combat i think.

you can also try to enhance the behavior by scripting sqf or fsm files.