liamdawe

Linux - Textures always reset to Low

Has anyone else noticed the issue of Textures always resetting down to Low?

Sometimes I don't even get the option in the dropdown box to go above Low as well.

Hi.

Yep. Had this since the first beta. Was posted by many people in some other thread already (look here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/184459-public-beta/), but nothing has changed so far. Can run with ultra-textures on windows7 with same hardware, but only gives me low on linux.. looks very ugly... and sadly no-one up til now came with a working solution / workaround..

small addition:

most likely it's an nvidia only issue, especially when running high resolution (4K in my case)...

as someone already found out:

in the logs of the graphics-wrapper (see: ~/.local/share/bohemiainteractive/arma3/eon.txt) you might find something like this:

[thread 00000001][34]:     Available texture memory (from NVidia extension): 6291456 kB
[thread 00000001][34]:     NVidia card: restricting reporting of available memory to 768 MB

so, when only that much memory is made available, it's no wonder there's no possibility to get higher res textures...

they must have negotiated a good deal with amd/ati to do stuff like that....

got curious, so I started looking around and generated the following output:

strings "/games/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Arma 3/arma3.i386"  | grep -i nvidia

NVIDIA
    Detected NVidia card
    Available texture memory (from NVidia extension): %u kB
    NVidia card: restricting reporting of available memory to 768 MB
    NVidia card: detected 358.00 NVidia driver, kernel version >=3.11 and glibc >=2.19, NOT RESTRICTING memory
NVIDIA_PhysX_Help.mht
NVIDIA Corporation

so it seems like they have VERY specific requirements for the environment they expect....

feeling a bit silly keeping my drivers up to date (currently 361.28)...

but I don't think it's me who should reconsider strategies...

Just want to chime in and say I'm not having this issue on my Nvidia laptop (specs in sig). I need to confirm my driver version - I'm not sure it's the latest.

NVidia card: restricting reporting of available memory to 768 MB

This makes me wonder if it's worth experimenting with the -maxVRAM launch parameter.

I'm actually having this issue on OSS drivers and 390x card. However I also have issue whenever I spawn or travel within  4km of a island (can use VR and spawn in far OCEAN ok).

This makes me wonder if it's worth experimenting with the -maxVRAM launch parameter.

nope, unfortunately no difference... seems like those parameters are for the windows version only...

had this issue on two linux boxes: 

- openSuSE tumbleweed with i7, 8GB RAM, GTX970

- mageia5 with i7, 16 GB RAM, GTX980Ti

funny thing: bioshock inifinite also uses eon and there it has no problem using the full vram on the linux box when looking at the logs in eon.txt

Hi.

Yep. Had this since the first beta. Was posted by many people in some other thread already (look here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/184459-public-beta/), but nothing has changed so far. Can run with ultra-textures on windows7 with same hardware, but only gives me low on linux.. looks very ugly... and sadly no-one up til now came with a working solution / workaround..

small addition:

most likely it's an nvidia only issue, especially when running high resolution (4K in my case)...

as someone already found out:

in the logs of the graphics-wrapper (see: ~/.local/share/bohemiainteractive/arma3/eon.txt) you might find something like this:

[thread 00000001][34]:     Available texture memory (from NVidia extension): 6291456 kB

[thread 00000001][34]:     NVidia card: restricting reporting of available memory to 768 MB

so, when only that much memory is made available, it's no wonder there's no possibility to get higher res textures...

they must have negotiated a good deal with amd/ati to do stuff like that....

Im getting the same issue with my 980ti (responded in the original thread mentioned above) using 364.19

Am running in 1920x1080 and am restricted to standard textures which look ok, cant run any sampling over 100%.

i checked with nvidia-smi and the game never uses above 768Mb vram and seems to stream in and out a lot but still runs great.

I tried both 358.09 and 358.16 to see if that would 'un-restrict' it but it was the same. There is no 358.00???

Apparently they havent fixed this in the 1.58 update, hopefully they fix this for 1.62. Im running 1920x1080 and even the texture streaming is annoying especially when going to and from the map. I also have to keep enabling 4X AA all the time because it keeps getting switched off. Why are they restricting the reporting of Vram to 768Mb on nvidia?? makes no sense.

Just to let you know, that the videoram is now limited to 768Mb on my system too, so limiting VRAM is not nvidia only issue anymore. More info in the generated .rpt file at "~/.local/share/bohemiainteractive/arma3/AppDataLocal/Arma\ 3/". I still can set the textures to high, so this issue with low textures is propably caused by something else.

Thought I drop in and say this still occurs with mesa 17.04, I have a FuryX and run at 4k (was able to get 50-60fps with most things on high minus blur).

I did notice if I drop it down to 88% scaling I can select the high texture option which appears to persist so I guess that is one work around. I hope the devs working on this port can get 1.68 and fix this texture limit issue, there was a time not long ago where it would not work correctly at all with MESA (except in the VR mode or middle of ocean), so good progress has been made.

I don't know if battleeye works or not, can't seem to connect to any servers atm even thought some are 1.64.