nice. but please give mission makers the option to not have the distance shown on every way point? maybe simply replaced with custom text. that way they dont get an auto distance measuring for things like sniper or survival missions where map reading is important but hand holding isnt.

We are not changing the logic controlling distance indicators visibility. On higher difficulty setting the distance indicators are not shown as before task overhaul changes.

Feedback tracker is down due to haxx0rs so I'll put it here for you.

Start new MP Game (hosted)

Put this in debug console:

_return = [
"sample_task",
true,
["Title.","Spam","Spam"],
[99999,99999,0],
"CREATED",
false,
true,
"",
false
] call BIS_fnc_setTask;

Errors out on my PC.

Thanks.

I created an empty mission in VR and dropped your code to init.sqf. The task is created, no errors were fired.

I might have overlooked something, or misunderstood the actual implementation, but does this mean that the visibility of these tasks can be made dependent on the gear the player is wearing in-game?

E.g. one needs to wear smart-glasses to be able to see the 3D markers, and a GPS to see those on the map?

There went something wrong with tasks and triggers I think. When a trigger set to e.x. "any group member" it can only be activated and will only be updated for the groupleader. This prevents my scenario from progressing for all players. If someone can confirm this it would be great if this gets fixed soon, might breaks a lot of scenarios.

I created an empty mission in VR and dropped your code to init.sqf. The task is created, no errors were fired.

Hmm, fair enough and thanks for checking, I'll do some more digging as it happens all the time on my PC (no mods).

I just thought - are you using 2D or 3D editor?

Thanks devs for giving tasks a makeover!  I've been knee deep mucking about with the task system the past couple weeks... Here's some quick feedback (hopefully useful):

Unassigned tasks are shown in HUD only when diary is opened or when they are configured to do so. (i.e. by default only assigned task is shown)

I'm really hoping with the new system, we can do the following (via script commands):

1. Hide all task indicators in the HUD (including the assigned task indicator), all of this while the journal is up in 3D with the assigned task selected.
  2. Simultaneous to above, show the task indicators on the 2D map, including assigned task indicator having it's own "highlighted" mark.

Will this be possible?

nice. but please give mission makers the option to not have the distance shown on every way point? maybe simply replaced with custom text. that way they dont get an auto distance measuring for things like sniper or survival missions where map reading is important but hand holding isnt.

Very good idea, I have this issue myself with always knowing the distance to the objective, and being able to zero my gun accordingly.  That is to say perfectly zero it, especially with grenade launcher (which feels like a major cheat).  Hope devs reconsider this one!

Next, I advocate for an easy way to maintain Task order, when switching to a new character.  The problem is that when a task is created (via BIS_fnc_taskCreate), and subsequently a new unit is created that the player switches to (via selectPlayer), he won't have that task (yet).  If other tasks were created in the mean time (before the selectPlayer), and later the original task info gets updated (via BIS_fnc_taskSetState or similar), the new unit gets the original task, but the tasks end up all out of order!

I scripted a solution to all this, and it works great.  (Basically, upon player switch, it strips all tasks and associated variables locally from the unit, the reapplies the tasks locally and in order.)  Anyhow, would be nice to see an official solution to preserving Task Order.

Lastly, I advocate for (optional) Multiple Destinations per Single Task.

Example:  I have an "Enlist Fighters" objective system I apply to various missions, that places joinable fighters on the map, periodically and when the player completes certain objectives.  Basically it's a way to replenish your losses.  If you can get to the fighters, you get an action and they join your group.  Originally each fighter group had it's own Task.  Sometimes in long missions, 10 or more of these Tasks were ending up in the journal, cluttering it up!  I'd prefer one Task, with multiple indicators on the map that the user may highlight on the map, just like any other task indicator.

I scripted a solution (single Task, multi-Obj) and it works great, but it was a real bitch. (Mainly due to my insistence on allowing the assigned task to be highlighted on the 2D map, simultaneous with hiding it in the 3D HUD.  I ended up having to detect the map opening and closing via EHs, and set the task destination to objNull to while map was down, and back to the destination while the map was displayed.)  Lol, there has to be a better way.

Very good idea, I have this issue myself with always knowing the distance to the objective, and being able to zero my gun accordingly.  That is to say perfectly zero it, especially with grenade launcher (which feels like a major cheat).  Hope devs reconsider this one!

On this point warkonaut already replied further up this page, but your suggestions sound nice.

Lastly, I advocate for (optional) Multiple Destinations per Single Task.

This!

• Like 1

Thanks chortles.  I read warkonaut's response on hiding the indicators in the difficulty settings, which is certainly nice.  I rather prefer Twisted's idea of the option to leave the indicator visible, just take the distance text out.  And I understand that's probably beyond the scope of this development effort.  In any event, should be fairly trivial to hide the real indicator (via script command or settings) and simply display our own scripted "distance-free" variant.  ;)

Regarding your point about tasks not showing - there is an issue related to tasks referring to objects. If the object is not known to player, the task position is also hidden to player and so task is not visualized in map and 3D (until the object is revealed to player). Might that be your case?

I've made some more tests and yes, this seems to be related. Is this a bug that will be fixed? Though, I've moved to the position and the task still did not show up- can this be, because I sometimes used game logics as task pointers which are always invisible (at least visually) to players?

FEEDBACK/SUGGESTION:

So i'm currently using the enhanced tasks in current build.  One annoyance i am seeing is that when a task completes, it disappears from the map, unlike the old tasks taht would show it marked as completed with a check box.

To replicate:

Create a task, then run game and complete the tasks.  Look at your map and the icon disappears.

Sorry if this was mentioned or if its fixed in your build.  Thanks!

Experiencing a crash related to Tasks, though It may be 'End Game' centric:

Starting a new LAN MP game End Game Feres.

On the initial map briefing screen (before joining actual play) if you click on 'Unassign' from the 'Establish FOB' map task, the game will crash.

Reproducible every time.

Crash report below:

Link

EDIT:

Further testing appears to show that anything related to Assigning and Unassigning tasks will cause a crash.

One annoyance i am seeing is that when a task completes, it disappears from the map, unlike the old tasks taht would show it marked as completed with a check box.

Agree, option to either continue showing or hide the task indicator on the map upon task completion (via script command, etc), would be nice.

I've made some more tests and yes, this seems to be related. Is this a bug that will be fixed? Though, I've moved to the position and the task still did not show up- can this be, because I sometimes used game logics as task pointers which are always invisible (at least visually) to players?

Can you please make an sue isolated repro of your problem? Either a code I can test or a mission I can try. If it is a mission, make it simple, only the problem.

Experiencing a crash related to Tasks, though It may be 'End Game' centric:

Starting a new LAN MP game End Game Feres.

On the initial map briefing screen (before joining actual play) if you click on 'Unassign' from the 'Establish FOB' map task, the game will crash.

Reproducible every time.

Crash report below:

Link

EDIT:

Further testing appears to show that anything related to Assigning and Unassigning tasks will cause a crash.

Thanks for repro. I have created a ticket, our programmers will look at it.

Thanks for the repro! The issue is fixed now and I will publish the fix today.

Super - thanks for the prompt fix  :)

The currently assigned task window (no clue what it's called) needs to be repositioned. Check out the upper right LEFT corner of the following screenshot.

kLeWKLC.jpg

I flagged this up a couple of days back, I believe it needs a new UI element to be added to the layout options, so players can move it to their preferred location.

EDIT: also it's top left not right ;)

I flagged this up a couple of days back, I believe it needs a new UI element to be added to the layout options, so players can move it to their preferred location.

Yep I agree, and thanks for pointing out it's on the left side. It's definitely too late already.

No need for an option of its position, just hide it when player toggles 'J' for taskboard view and mark the current task properly on the taskboard itself.

We are going to disable the assigned task widget for 1.58. It might come back with upcoming improvements to tasks overview feature.

We will look at the placement and overlapping issue.

But....pressing the J key will still show the task waypoint for the time it's being pressed right? That was the best feature ever.