But....pressing the J key will still show the task waypoint for the time it's being pressed right? That was the best feature ever.

I agree! It was a minimalist approach, one that showed only the necessary info. If you needed more, double tapping 'J' would bring up extra info.

No need for an option of its position, just hide it when player toggles 'J' for taskboard view and mark the current task properly on the taskboard itself.

There was also issues in vehicles as it overlaps the vehicle info bar. That's why I suggested a moveable element.

Don't worry, the Task Overview feature will stay. We will hide just the widget till it's functionality gets refined.

Were some changes made to the Task Overview feature yesterday? I noticed that when I press J that the tasks will slowly fade out, before the change the tasks would only show as long as one holds J pressed, which in my opinion is the better solution.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.

Tasks Overview is now using the same fadeout times as the remaining navigation and commanding elements. This is not final. We plan to improve on the feature in near future and tweak settings and behavior.

I can only emphasise how much better the old way was, and I am probably not alone with that.

• Like 1

In the past I had some issue in multiplayer with task. There was duplication. The task arent in the right order in the list, when JIP comes in some task were getting completed. Will the new task system make it more compatible with dedicated server/multiplayer? 

In the past I had some issue in multiplayer with task. There was duplication. The task arent in the right order in the list, when JIP comes in some task were getting completed. Will the new task system make it more compatible with dedicated server/multiplayer? 

The task system core behavior remains same. Tasks are still local. Their proper functionality in MP environment is still handled by scripted functions (e.g.: bis_fnc_taskCreate, bis_fnc_taskSetState,...). The scripted framework was updated to accommodate for the new functionality and there were several changes and fixes done to prevent occasional faulty behavior. In the current version of task framework there are currently no known issues.

In tasks overhaul we focused mainly on tasks UX and UI. The goal was to improve the players experience while playing and interacting with tasks.

Give it a try in 1.58 and if you find any faulty behavior, please report it on http://feedback.arma3.com .

Will the new task icons also be selectable via editor module?

Suggestion:

Would it be possible to add another parameter to the create Task Module, which allows mission builders to add a position for the task? Right now we only have "Module Position", which makes organising missions with many tasks difficult.

Most of my missions have quite a few tasks which are created and assigned in a specific order. The task layout can for example look like this:

eavCkJz.jpg

However, if I now want to also make use of task locations, I would need to put all those create Task Modules to various places all over the map, which makes it very cluttered and hard to understand if I come back to editing this mission later.

This could be solved by adding an edit box attribute to the create task module which allows one to copy in coordinates of where the task is supposed to be.

• Like 2

Mission Makers Feedback:

First off its amazing the work you guys have done so far. But I wish the Modules had some love for 1.58 (hoping for 1.60)

I've taken some screenshot to help with my ideas and points (all from dev).

Starting off with create task:

lIQVfg5l.jpg

1. Task ID is not auto assigned. If you don't change it it breaks the task completely.

2. Description box should be a multi-line box at minimum. Its a absolute pain to write anything more complex than isn't just "Kill this"

3. Formatting buttons would be a bonus here as well :D

4. What I assume to be task type could do with a drop down for default types and a custom box.

Create Diary Entry:

Hm4ACUTl.jpg

1. Description box should be a multi-line box at minimum its even more important this is as large as possible than create task.

2. Formatting buttons would be a bonus here as well :D

3. Owner options do not match task version:

rbaUc6Ql.jpgFwi8P2Kl.jpg

In terms of module ordering I'm not sure Intel is the right location for tasks (intel is fine for diary) instinctively I think objective.

On a side note has anyone else noticed a bug where for some reason triggers can fire during loading and using the set task status module changes the task from the original.

Anyway thats my 2 cents hope it helps

• Like 1

Regarding the new overhauled Task Icons/Tooltips, is there any easy way (via script) to determine which Task Icon has the mouseover or selection on the map, at any given time?

Edit:

Figured out the mouseover part: Using ctrlMapMouseOver on the main map works like a charm.  That's a mighty handy command too!  Can get Tasks, Task Tooltips, Markers, probably more.  Plus it gives back the associated local task (for tasks and task tooltips) or string name (for markers).

Any chance the following bug could be fixed before 1.60 is released?

When left clicking on a task on the map, the task description opens and closes 1 second later. It should either stay open until closed manually, or stay open as long as the left mouse button is pressed.

Any chance the following bug could be fixed before 1.60 is released?

When left clicking on a task on the map, the task description opens and closes 1 second later. It should either stay open until closed manually, or stay open as long as the left mouse button is pressed.

Can you still experience this issue?

• Like 1

Can you still experience this issue?

Nope, guess it was fixed. Thank you ! :yay:

dNjWR8k.jpg

Why not having a combo box which searchs the configfile and missionConfigfile for all task types? This tooltip which says visit the Wiki is incredible LAME.

Edit: Additionally, the marker attribute has no tooltip, I had to go to the config viewer to find out what function is being called by the module, then enter the function viewer to see what the function does with the marker just to see that it's calling another function, after which I was finally able to see what this does. Can we have a tooltip please?

• Like 4

It seems that this attribute isn't even working. If I type in "meet" (without quotations) the default icon is still used. Any suggestions?

The attribute input is case sensitive. Very bad solution, for a module which is supposed to be used by beginners. I'd like to see the input manipulated by toLower command.

• Like 1

There seems to be another bug I just noticed, or maybe it's intended. Succeeded (Maybe other stats too) tasks are not shown on the map anymore, even though the map still points at the position if I double click on the task description.

I was using task type "Truck" for a steal the truck type sub-mission.  The truck icon was absolutely perfect!  But unfortunately task type "Truck" seems to have disappeared from CfgTaskTypes.  Did this truck icon get moved somewhere else, or was it simply removed all-together?

I was using task type "Truck" for a steal the truck type sub-mission.  The truck icon was absolutely perfect!  But unfortunately task type "Truck" seems to have disappeared from CfgTaskTypes.  Did this truck icon get moved somewhere else, or was it simply removed all-together?

There's no mention of "Truck" on the wiki, maybe a class created by a mod? https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Tasks_Overhaul

Anyway, I agree, a default icon for transport type of missions would be handy.

• Like 1

I recall seeing perhaps as many as 10+ additional task types inside CfgTaskTypes that are no longer present, none of which were listed on the wiki at that time.  (Indeed I specifically recall a discrepancy between CfgTaskTypes and the wiki, and needing to go through them one at a time to see what was there.)

It's possible they were from a mod, but I don't think so.  In any event, I can't find any mod I was using that added them.  Another thing makes me think they weren't from a mod: At least one of the task types changed names from "Infantry" to "Rifle" (since previous version).  I also recall seeing a Tank in there.  My guess is the wiki had the ones that made the cut, and the rest got removed from the game config / data just recently,

Anyhow, all the extra task icons were really handy!  Helps differentiate when you have 6+ task icons going at the same time.  For instance, I have destroy truck and steal truck sub-missions.  Was using "Destroy" for destroy truck and "Truck" for steal truck (aka steal supplies).  Now I'm having to use "Repair" (which looks like tools) for steal truck, and it looks kinda silly.  Unless I'm shroomin, would be nice to see at least the vehicle related ones come back.

Clicking on a map task widget opens the relevant diary tab and then closes it immediately. I think the diary tab should stay open when this is clicked.

Clicking on a map task widget opens the relevant diary tab and then closes it immediately. I think the diary tab should stay open when this is clicked.

That was fixed with 1.61, guess I sneaked back in.

tasks appear broken or syntax/something has changed.

Got any details, example code, reproduction steps?  Tasks were working fine for me last night.