mrcurry

WY-55 Hellcat (Armed) will not attack engaged targets.

Since 1.56 (or the Hotfix, not sure when exactly) the Hellcat will not attack targets (assigned by player or self-acquired).

The appropriate radio messages plays and gets confirmed by the AI but no actual attack takes place.

Tested with other helicopters which work fine. It only seems to be the Hellcat that does this.

Edit: Also tested with other AAF vehicles, all of which attack the target as expected.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Place a player and a Hellcat and group the Hellcat to the player.

2. Place some enemies. Play.

3. Approach the enemies and assign a target to engage.

4. Watch as nothing happens.

• Like 1

Yes, I already posted that for Hellcat a while ago: you can't get ammo or someammo, and all behavior around are broken . Probably flushed with the feedback tracker!

The magazines classes are not declared at the same place than for other Arma helicopters. This seems another case for lack of standardization (for native Arma objects!).

Confirmed, really frustrating when vanilla things that should always work brakes like this. Hellcat gunship is useless atm.

Bug confirmed, WY-55 doesn't attack anything when it's AI-controlled, even when it has clearly engaged a target. It just circles around endlessly and doesn't bother using the rocket pods or miniguns. I thought I was just doing something wrong, but at least I know to give up on it for the moment and try some other helicopter. BIS, a fix would be very much appreciated!

Is there a ticket on the new feedback tracker for this issue?

Looks like there isn't a bug report for it yet. I tried to set up an account so I could add the bug report to the tracker and I was unable to receive the verification email. If anyone else wants to try, I did find this bug report which may be related: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T78612 Essentially, someone reported that the Hellcat used to be able to lock on and now it can't, so a mod that they made for it with guided missiles is no longer working. Obviously, the Hellcat normally does not have guided weapon systems, so I can understand why BIS might have taken away the lock-on feature. However, I wonder if returning lock-on ability would allow the AI to use the hellcat's weapon systems?

Looks like there isn't a bug report for it yet. I tried to set up an account so I could add the bug report to the tracker and I was unable to receive the verification email. If anyone else wants to try, I did find this bug report which may be related: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T78612 Essentially, someone reported that the Hellcat used to be able to lock on and now it can't, so a mod that they made for it with guided missiles is no longer working. Obviously, the Hellcat normally does not have guided weapon systems, so I can understand why BIS might have taken away the lock-on feature. However, I wonder if returning lock-on ability would allow the AI to use the hellcat's weapon systems?

It's not the same problem. Hellcat doesn't have any scriptable magazine. The BI commands ammo, someAmmo don't return anything for this helicopter. The class is not set like the other ones. You can do what you want, AIs don't know it's an armed helo.

I just checked and verified that someAmmo does actually work for the armed Hellcat. I'm still not precisely sure why the AI is unable to use its weapons though. I'm also still unable to submit a bug report since I can't create an account with the bug tracker. I need to get a verification email but I did not receive one, even though I had it try to submit it to me three times. It shows my email address and it's correct, and I've checked my spam folder etc. I think I may end up having to submit a bug with the bug tracker so that I can submit this bug with the Hellcat.

Alright, bug report submitted now that the feedback tracker email system appears to have been fixed. Here's the link to the bug report (WY-55 Hellcat (Armed) fails to attack targets) just in case BIS takes a while and someone ends up googling the same issue months or years from now. If you have any more information about it or a possible fix, please post it there.

R.I.P. WY-55 :(

Relax-I am sure it will be addressed. Have patience :)

• Like 1

On 8/24/2016 at 5:09 AM, ineptaphid said:

Relax-I am sure it will be addressed. Have patience :)

This, just be patient, check back in 2018 or something :) Its just AI anyways, have you looked at the server browser? barely anyone uses AI

Corrections for Vanilla Arma's Classes  just don't seem to be scheduled.

In the same vein:

- you can open/close the simple IFRIT's doors;

- but you can only open the  IFRIT's GMG or HMG + the simple HUNTER doors;

- but can't do anything with HUNTER HMG or GMG doors.

Simple inheritances to modify? BI is not talkative about this topic.

• Like 1

Tested on 1.68.140830; the Hellcat engages targets successfully when airborne.

I'll check back in another 12 months to see if the Blackfish is fixed.

On 09.03.2017 at 8:33 AM, fn_Quiksilver said:

it will be fixed in 1.68 (im sure of it, but dont ask how)

Nope :evil:

Still broken...
I play with AI a lot and independent faction doesn't have any chopper that can actually fire anything for now

I've confirmed lsd's post. The Hellcat is working again, at least for me as of version 1.76. If you're still having any problems with it, make sure you've set independents to be hostile to whatever faction you're using, give the Hellcat a DESTROY waypoint on yourself, crank pilot and copilot skill up to maximum and see what happens. In my test, the Hellcat easily killed me on its first pass. I updated the bug page with my findings.

However, the searchlight does seem to be broken now, and the Blackfish still isn't working.

• Like 1

Correction: Either I was mistaken about the searchlight or there was a ninja patch to fix it. It can only be activated from the copilot's seat. It also wasn't activating when I was using setPilotLight to turn on the Hellcat's lights while the AI was flying it. Looks like the correct way to get the AI to use the searchlight is actually "copilot action ["SearchlightOn", helicopter];" with copilot and helicopter being set as variable names for your copilot and your helicopter respectively.

Do you obtain a magnificent search light?  not me.

I'd rather script mine, in init field of helo:

0 = this spawn {
    _light = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal position _this;
    _light setLightBrightness 0.9;
    _light setLightAmbient[2.3, 2.3, 2.55];
    _light setLightColor[230, 230, 255];
    _light setLightIntensity 310;
    _light setLightUseFlare true;
    _light setLightFlareSize (getpos _this select 2);
    _light lightAttachObject [_this, [0,30,- (getpos _this select 2)] ]
};

Can be improved of course.

Combined:

0 = this spawn {
   (_this turretUnit [0]) action ["SearchlightOn", _this];
    _light = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal position _this;
    _light setLightBrightness 0.9;
    _light setLightAmbient[2.3, 2.3, 2.55];
    _light setLightColor[230, 230, 255];
    _light setLightIntensity 310;
    _light setLightUseFlare true;
    _light setLightFlareSize (getpos _this select 2);
    _light lightAttachObject [_this, [0,30,- (getpos _this select 2)] ]
};

• Like 3

On 11/17/2017 at 4:29 PM, SteveStevenson said:

Blackfish still isn't working.

You mean the attack? Sadly the gunner AI will only attack a target if it appears in it's fire arc, but the pilot will either just fly straight or perform head-on dives. We sorry but there's no plan to have better aerial AI attack routines. But a reasonable attack can be still achieved indirectly via Loiter WP.