anthariel

[WIP] Tilos Island - 2016 Version

Tilos Island - 2016 Version

7gCtl86.jpg

Hello!  ^_^

After a little less than a year after stopping the project Tilos due to a lack of origanisation from my part, I decided to remake this terrain from scratch, so if you are interested in supporting its development, read what is described below  :) :

What is Tilos Island?

Tilos Island is a terrain that I've created back in 2015, this land was my first terrain in Arma, however due to a lack of organization and time, I decided to stop development of the project, leaving the Beta version back to March/April 2015.

For this new version of Tilos,I restarded on good and proper foundations and in addition of new technical modifications, this project will be fully open source version once arrived in beta.

What is new?

Well, basically almost everything, besides being almost twice as large, every place has been redesigned for large military operations. The open source is also a big part of the new things, the map is designed to allow the people to add for example others island near Tilos, modify existing places or just if you want to learn how to create a terrain and all the source will be of course documented in French & English (English version may be delayed).

Apart from all this, some parameters have been modified such that the cloud system and the ocean to give a personal touch to the island.

Technical Specification:

• Grid Size : 4096 x 4096
  • Cell Size : 6.0
  • Terrain Size : 24576 (Similar to real life size terrain, the island itself have ~72Km²)
  • Satellite / Surface / Normal Maps Size : 24576 (1p/1m)
  • Texture Layer Size : 48.00
  • Estimated Alpha Addon Size : 475 - 525Mb (without external dependencies required)
  • Estimated Source files Size : 18 - 22Gb

Medias:

http://imgur.com/a/gtfHj

Roadmap:

Here the planned roadmap:

• May : 0.25 Alpha release (64km², ~31km² of Island)
  • June : 0.35 Alpha update (corrections, new objects, new places)
  • July : 0.5 Alpha update (corrections, new objects, new places)
  • July / August : 0.75 Beta release (Sources files, 85% of the island is mainly done)
  • September - October : 1.0 Final release (100% of the island is done), futures update are not exclude

That it! If you have any feedback, ideas or suggestions to give, please let me know!  :)

• Like 24

Such map,

much hype,

:hyper:

Great to see you back in the work! I looking forward it. :)

Greets DonbassCZ

• Like 1

Thanks for you support everyone!

@DonbassCZ, hope we'll see a new verson of Tilos Military Airport from you on this terrain  :P

• Like 1

Hola, hâte de voir ça ! Bon courage pour le développement ;)

Merci pour le soutien camarade  :lol:  

Here are some news pictures of some caves and other stuff. I'll try to upload some screenshots of new areas every week from now  :P

http://imgur.com/a/BHAOH

• Like 2

Great job!! Will there be something new around Tilos Airport?? :)

Greets DonbassCZ

• Like 1

Merci Wiki  ;)

@DonbassCZ, there is an underwater "secret" passage (this https://i.imgur.com/0OQr9mS.jpg and this https://i.imgur.com/WvbMzFr.jpg ), a new big radar station like Mike-26 on Stratis and a better harbour https://i.imgur.com/bqTAdbf.jpg ), as the map is bigger, the airport is bigger too, so more opportunities.  :681:

• Like 1

I can't wait for this map, the old version is one of my favorite maps. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Thanks mate! Hope you will enjoy this one as the first version  :) I just have some issue with my clutters from now  (only 5 materials per cell, yuck), it's the only major concern that I have met since the first day of the island so I hope I can stick to my roadmap and even be a little ahead over it.

As the major configurations files and systems like weather, lighting, simulweather, ambient... is pretty much done, I can now focus myself on the object placement (22.000 objects so far and 50.000 are planned for the alpha, twice as much of the oldest beta version of Tilos if a remember).  ^_^

I'll start this week the pre-production of Megalo Chorio for those who remember this town  :P

• Like 3

Loved the original Tilos. Great news that it's getting bigger!

• Like 2

Map looks great..I'd like to offer a few suggestions..make it a stand alone map,I'd also love to see Maps made without Military bases but with a couple three options of places the client can build their own bases,most maps have bases that seem suited for one or another game play style but by leaving that part up to the client/player you reach a bigger audience and with the advent of the Eden editor I think more people would be more than happy to build their own bases...looking forward to the release of this.

Diesel

• Like 2

Map looks great..I'd like to offer a few suggestions..make it a stand alone map,I'd also love to see Maps made without Military bases but with a couple three options of places the client can build their own bases,most maps have bases that seem suited for one or another game play style but by leaving that part up to the client/player you reach a bigger audience and with the advent of the Eden editor I think more people would be more than happy to build their own bases...looking forward to the release of this.

Diesel

I second the idea of leaving open spaces for the community to place their own Military bases. Keep up the excellent work on the Island!

• Like 1

Diesel

For the first suggestion I'm not sure to fully understand (sorry...) if you mean by standalone map that the map must not have dependency, it's the case, no external dependency will be required to play this map (such as CUP, JBAD, AIA...).

And for the second suggestion, this is an interesting point. However I can not afford to don't make the map without any military base on the island knowing that a lot of people request that to me and the fact that those are integrated directly in the basement of the map result not only results in with some performance fix but also with a kind of a solid foundation to which every mission maker can stand with.

However there are two possibilities that I see to solve this problem:

• The map will be open source, so for example you could delete those military bases later and release a version without those, but I understand that create 40 billions versions of the same map is not the best option (still a good option if you want a custom map only for your team)

• Or the second option is that I do 50/50, what I mean by this is that for example on the north part of the map, all of the military bases are almost pristine and on the southern part, most of military base are dismantled and empty, a little like some FOB on Stratis. This way, the players have enough room to modify and create their "own bases".

Anyway,Tell me if you're ok with that or if you have other ideas and thanks!

@CrazyCorky @Cosmic10r, Thanks mates, much appreciated!

• Like 2

For the first suggestion I'm not sure to fully understand (sorry...) if you mean by standalone map that the map must not have dependency, it's the case, no external dependency will be required to play this map (such as CUP, JBAD, AIA...).

And for the second suggestion, this is an interesting point. However I can not afford to don't make the map without any military base on the island knowing that a lot of people request that to me and the fact that those are integrated directly in the basement of the map result not only results in with some performance fix but also with a kind of a solid foundation to which every mission maker can stand with.

• The map will be open source, so for example you could delete those military bases later and release a version without those, but I understand that create 40 billions versions of the same map is not the best option (still a good option if you want a custom map only for your team)

• Or the second option is that I do 50/50, what I mean by this is that for example on the north part of the map, all of the military bases are almost pristine and on the southern part, most of military base are dismantled and empty, a little like some FOB on Stratis. This way, the players have enough room to modify and create their "own bases".

Funny thing is not even 10mins after my post I thought about that.

Anyway keep it up!

• Like 1

I think you should release a map with only minor military bases mostly empty and a map with them all built the way you had them just bigger and better. If its possible I would think it would work but I'm no expert. 

• Like 1

I think you should release a map with only minor military bases mostly empty and a map with them all built the way you had them just bigger and better. If its possible I would think it would work but I'm no expert. 

It is possible and not possible at the same time  :angry:

What I mean by that is that is it's possible since it is just a config file to create, remove the bases from the island and make a kind of a double of the .wrp file. So it will take 10 minutes and it will add ~75 to 115mb to the final mod size.

However, If we want things to be done well, I also need to change the satellite imagery and mask to match with that and that means increasing the total size of the addon from 200 to 275mb. So yeah... not good unfortunatly.

Hey, I also realized that I had forgot to show you a little more in details the small coastal town of Agios Antonios (+ some random pictures) : 

http://imgur.com/a/aEaKJ

• Like 5

You are correct sir I was wondering if it would rely on another Mod or not..thanks for the reply..and I really like the 50/50 idea..giving the client/player the option to build and expand on the small or unfinished bases on the map already...for me at least and the guys I game with we are reaaly more of an infantry squad so we don't ever use anything like most of the maps have with big bases..all of our stuff is usually a FOB type setting someplace with very minimal equipment and we focus a lot on logistics so we don't have vehicle respawn. Really like the isialnd so far the screenshots look great..thanks for replying and taking into consideration our suggestions..great work!

Diesel

• Like 1

Great to have you back! Still use the beta of the original, I love the attn to detail you put into it. Really looking forward seeing this progress!

• Like 1

It's looking fantastic! Can't wait for a reimagined version, those narrow road passages surrounded by rocks look great! The more of them, the better :D

• Like 1