a1994114a

What is the correct way to use air to air missiles?

Looks like accuracy of A2A missiles depends on how you use it a lot. What's the correct way to use an A2A missile? I'm terrible at it and my skill is like 10 fired 1 hit.

Fired whilst following directly behind the target that hopefully doesn't know you're there until you lock on.

It also helps if you're inverted.

2dtt5ky.jpg

• Like 2

4080c9fb6d.jpg

Same concept with Air to Air. 

Depending on which missile you're using should determine the effective range. 

Some missiles work ok on a head-on shot (as they should if the engine isnt well masked, or if radar lock is used), but flank shot is always a no-no due to evasion angle.

from experience, the AI will often detect your lock and fire CMs just after your missilelock is live. i normally wait a heartbeat and out comes the flare/chaff, then fire TWO missiles in quick succession - for a guaranteed kill.

if he's evading in a tight left turn, turn harder left and aim ahead of him, assuming you still have the lock. this will enable the missile to track faster towards his tail.

also, if you're using amraams vs asraams this will make a difference - asraams are shorter range, so for example when we load up a plane in our mods, we always put the amraam first in the weapons list after the cannon, as these should be your default weapon selected when cruising about.. firing an aim9x (asraam) at a target 10km+ away is great in real life, but not always in arma! go for the aim7 / aim120 any day unless target is within 3km.

oh and viewdistance makes a big difference also. if you cannot lock him far away, you're always going to be in a tail-chasing dogfight - not ideal conditions for the more powerful amraams

as eggbeast said, fire 2 a2a missiles per target :D

first to force countermeasures, when those are deployed, fire the second quickly, timing is key, sometimes works against human players too :)

i should add, if you are in a 2-seater aircraft like the Su34, and you select manual fire, then lock an enemy aircraft or tank with a missile, be sure to count the time required for the lock delay to expire - this is usually about 5-6 seconds, depending on the missile.  normally you hear a locking tone but in command of another turret using manual fire, this sound does not play. as a result you must count the time in your head before firing, if you wish your missile to track the target correctly.

Also i forgot to say that if you are in a 2 seater plane or chopper, you must localise the gunner turret if you wish missiles to work properly when operated as a pilot using manual fire. This means getting in as gunner before getting in as pilot and taking off.

I've learned that it's better to use short-range missiles (Falchion-22, Sahr, ASRAAM) in closer-range engagements such as dogfights, since they're more maneuverable. Zephyr missiles are terrible in close-range as they're painfully slow to turn, and are overall better used over longer distances.