Maff

CfgAmmo - Hit - Value randomisation

I have been working on a small collection of addons for Arma 2:CO for myself and a few friends.

This started as a simple weapon, equipment and unit renaming addon but as I've been reading through the ACE, BI and VBS2/JCOVE configs the ideas have been flowing!

I have started to experiment with creating my own ammunition and magazines just to see if I can do it.

The below examples are from JCOVE Lite and I'm guessing these values are intended to be randomised with each hit.

Is this correct?

If so, is this possible to do in Arma 2/3 and are there any issues with doing this?

I have tried to test with "B_556x45_Ball" ammunition in Arma 2 but I honestly can't tell - My targets are dead in one shot using;

class BulletBase;
	class B_556x45_Ball: BulletBase
	{
		hit = "6*1.2";
	};

*** As I'm typing this, I recall using a script that displays target damage and where they have been hit. I'll look that out and crack on ***

EXAMPLES FROM JCOVE LITE;

class vbs2_ammo_B_556x45_AP: vbs2_ammo_B_556x45_Ball
	{
		hit = "8*1.2";
	};
	class vbs2_ammo_B_556x45_Silent_AP: vbs2_ammo_B_556x45_Silent
	{
		hit = "8*0.80*1.2";
	};
	class vbs2_ammo_B_127x99_Ball: vbs2_LargeBullet
	{
		hit = "(15 + (7))";
		typicalSpeed = "0.75*855";
		airFriction = -0.00068;
		tracerScale = 1.5;
		model = "\vbs2\data\bullettracer\tracer_red";
	};

If you're calling from Bullet_base you're gonna need more info than just the hit damage. 

You could always call from the default 556 rounds in the game. Then just put in you're own "hit" value.

Kinda confused what your question here is. But hey I tried.

If you're calling from Bullet_base you're gonna need more info than just the hit damage. 

From what I understand...

B_556x45_Ball gets all the relevant values from BulletBase (Which is already in Arma 2) and I need to update the hit value (or any other value I want to alter) for B_556x45_Ball.

You could always call from the default 556 rounds in the game. Then just put in you're own "hit" value.

Is that NOT what I've done? Do I not need "more info than just the hit damage"?

Kinda confused what your question here is. But hey I tried.

Don't worry.

Can someone tell me what the hit values mean in the VBS2 config examples in the first post.

I thought they were a sort of "formula" to give a random amount of damage with each hit.

If this is the case, I was wondering if it was possible to use this "formula" in Arma 2 and how it is calculated.

From what I understand...

B_556x45_Ball gets all the relevant values from BulletBase (Which is already in Arma 2) and I need to update the hit value (or any other value I want to alter) for B_556x45_Ball.

Is that NOT what I've done? Do I not need "more info than just the hit damage"?

Don't worry.

Can someone tell me what the hit values mean in the VBS2 config examples in the first post.

I thought they were a sort of "formula" to give a random amount of damage with each hit.

If this is the case, I was wondering if it was possible to use this "formula" in Arma 2 and how it is calculated.

You're calling from bullet_base not B_556x45_Ball 

you can use bullet_base but you'd have to look into what it has already defined and what it hasn't. Bullet_base is shared by all calibres, that's why it'd be better to use a pre defined 556 class. To make things easier.

If you wanted to call from B_556x45_Ball you would need 

Maff_556x45_Ball: B_556x45_Ball 
{
         hit = "6*1.2";
};

the "hit" value is not randomized. Basically what happens is the game handles where the bullet lands each hitpoint on a vehicle/body has a different multiplier that times the "hit" value in your ammo config. Which then represents how much damage is delt.

the VBS rounds basically translate from 8*1.2  to 9.6 (* represents multiply)

What i was explaining, if you call from bullet_base you will need more information than just hit. if you call from B_556x45_Ball you can just use the hit value.

btw. some more info https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgAmmo_Config_Reference

You should read this carefully, bullet damage takes into a lot of values other than "hit", such as indirect hit, indirect hit range, muzzle velocity etc.

Ahhh, right!

I was sure I was modifying B_556x45_Ball itself.

I was getting different hit values each time I updated the config.

Do you know if there's any particular reason why it's been done that way?

I mean, why put "8*1.2" instead of just 9.6? It seems daft.

I've been using the config references. Very handy.

Not entirely sure why some do it like that. It may be linked to hitpoints etc. You'd have to research it more. 

But as far as i know general numerical values have the same behaviour.