Sign in to follow this  
dragon01

MAV and MDV

So, the latest update brought us two vehicles. I say, they're a nice start. However, I see several issues with them. I know they're WIP, that's why I'm posting this (so that the issues don't appear in the final version).

1. The engines for MDV and the MAV main engine are a bit too obvious copies of the SSME. Unless MAV is going to use some sort of very large drop tank, I'd advise against copying a hydrogen/oxygen engine onto what is presumably going to run on methane. MDV engines are quite obviously using storable propellants (likely MMH+NTO) and thus should look more like MLM engines.

2. MDV interior is... weird. It looks like a bungalow, or perhaps a large sailing yacht. :) The wood, the tiles, everything seems like it'd be a waste of mass. Even if they're fake, they don't look like anything that I'd expect to see on Mars. 

3. MDV interior doesn't hold pressure (pretty sure that's a known issue, though).

4. Why does the MAV docking port look like a passive one? The docking target is specific to passive docking ports like ISS PMAs. Shuttle's docking port doesn't have it. Also, on the active port, the docking ring can be extended to "soft-dock" (lock the rings, but without a rigid seal) with the target:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/lmS2n.jpg
This allows less than perfect initial alignment to "snap" into the correct position. After soft docking is achieved, the ring retracts, creating a seal between spacecraft.

5. How is MAV supposed to attach to MDV? It either needs some sort of adapter (maybe the aforementioned droptank? It's a good idea even if it does run on Methane) or a rework of the tail part.

6. MDV is reusing Shuttle assets a bit too obviously, but at least we know the Shuttle will look good. :)

• Like 1