Shift

How to improve visibility range?

Sorry for noob question, but i am a noob so. My problem is whenever i play there's always this kind of fog thing that limits visibility to about 1-2km especially when flying aircrafts. How can i get full visibility of at least 5-10km? My visibility in video settings is maxed out. I tried different missions, tried creating my own missions and making weather as clear as i could (remember i'm noob so maybe i just dont know tricks in weather setup to get clear sky). I have two computers and i have this problem on both of them. I cant even land a Nephron properly because by the time i spot the landing strip i'm already misaligned or too high and fast or too low and slow, just because i didnt see it until like 2km away. Its really frustrating.

For visibility at that range you need to set Objects to Ultra.

Will it remove this fog-like white thing? because its not that i get just clean low-res terrain and dont see objects, i see nothing, its like clouds but all the way to the ground.

Assuming the fog is not mission related (weather), you need to set Bloom to 0 (zero) for having a clean view.

Where do i set this bloom? Here's a screenshot of what i'm talking aboutLXMeDtvr48M.jpg

Will it remove this fog-like white thing? because its not that i get just clean low-res terrain and dont see objects, i see nothing, its like clouds but all the way to the ground.

All you need to do is move the view distance slider and object view distance sliders up. For flying I keep them at about 4000mtrs. It depends what your hardware can handle before losing framerate.

It has nothing to do with bloom, or setting object quality higher.It's just the view distance sliders.

• Like 1

How can i get full visibility of at least 5-10km? My visibility in video settings is maxed out.

Well, he said in first post that he had visibilty in video settings maxed out.

Also, objects view distance is also related with objects quality.

Meaning that if we have view distance maxed out for objects, but we have set quality to low, we can see the objects after a few hundred meters, beacuse they are not rendered.

Well, he said in first post that he had visibilty in video settings maxed out.

Also, objects view distance is also related with objects quality.

Meaning that if we have view distance maxed out for objects, but we have set quality to low, we can see the objects after a few hundred meters, beacuse they are not rendered.

I know that-you are right. But he specifically said that he was getting the white fog-which is caused by the visibility sliders. I can't understand how he is getting the fog so close if visibility is maxed out..

Okay-here's what you do. Put view distance to 5000, put object view distance to 3000,  then put texture quality ,object and terrain quality all to high/very high. Flying should then look perfect.

Judging by the screenshot posted of the rangefinder on Stratis airbase, you view distance is not maxed out-it seems to be set at about 2000. Maybe post a pic of your video settings page?

This is what my game looks like with view distance set to 3200,and object distance to 2000,All settings on very high.

0pXXjmK.png

• Like 2

Yes, It is weird how he gets so much fog, I believe is weather related.

I have BLOOM set to 100 and this is what I get.

Visibilty Distance 12000

Objects View Distance 12000

Objects Quality Ultra

g9q9Cw3.jpg

Visibilty Distance 12000

Object View Distance 12000

Objects Quality Low

8SQw6us.jpg

Yes, It is weird how he gets so much fog, I believe is weather related.

I have BLOOM set to 100 and this is what I get.

Visibilty Distance 12000

Objects View Distance 12000

Objects Quality Ultra

Visibilty Distance 12000

Object View Distance 12000

Objects Quality Low

Can you maintain any kind of framerate at those distances,or is it just for the picture? ;)

Nah, in Ultra the max I can get is 6000 view distance (in a acceptable performance), stil not for long, because after some time the RAM load becomes high and starts struggling.

But, with graphics settings in High I have no major issues, at 6000.

Well hopefully the OP will post his settings screen pic and we can see what is going on.

0pXXjmK.png

Picture looks really good. Like real life.

it looks like slider has not been moved beyond 2000 ish. Just needs to get himself /herself familiar with options. View distance will tax your machines capability running arma smooth.

Be aware shift some servers force view distance settings.

Let us know how you get on. Will be on arma today myself so will check into it.

Here, i made screenshots. This is what i'm talking about. The mission is BECTI Zerty, i chose clear weather in mission options.HSNthcNW2c0.jpg

h_e4FrZx-J0.jpg

vmvDpjhLVQs.jpg

my PC which is actually a gaming laptop is quite weak though, maybe it has something to do with that?

Okay-that makes no sense.I never put my view distance above 4000 and can see way further than that. I mean-you are playing with very high view distance-i would not be able to get any kind of stable framerate at 12000 mtrs like that.Are you sure the mission does not set a limited view distance?Is it the same when you just open the editor and place a unit? This is...very bizzare

Your laptop being weak wont affect viewdistance-but it should kill your framerate..

With 12000mtrs view distance,you should be able to see halfway across Altis in that picture from the jet. See my pic above-That is on less than 3000mtrs

Picture looks really good. Like real life.

Thats because I am using RealLight/ReShade.

• Like 1

Here, i made screenshots. This is what i'm talking about. The mission is BECTI Zerty [...]

Maybe the mission sets a view-distance. Some CTI-style missions have imposed limits that are adjustable via a separate menu (within the mission) to make it balanced for everyone.

The problem you are describing leads me to think it is mission based, especially given you haven't stated whether this issue occurs in the editor or not.

Also, view-distance of connected clients can be overwritten by the server's config (again to balance it so everyone is on a level playing field), however if you're the admin/host in the above screens this would not be the case as your settings would be used as a baseline.

• Like 2

Maybe the mission sets a view-distance. Some CTI-style missions have imposed limits that are adjustable via a separate menu (within the mission) to make it balanced for everyone.

The problem you are describing leads me to think it is mission based, especially given you haven't stated whether this issue occurs in the editor or not.

Also, view-distance of connected clients can be overwritten by the server's config (again to balance it so everyone is on a level playing field), however if you're the admin/host in the above screens this would not be the case as your settings would be used as a baseline.

I thought so too-but he did say in his first post " I tried different missions, tried creating my own missions and making weather as clear as i could"

That would imply he has tried the editor.

Oh yes sorry i forgot that BECTI has maximum 4km view distance which i set to maximum, but when i just place a unit in editor and go to that mission its the same like on those screenshots

Oh yes sorry i forgot that BECTI has maximum 4km view distance which i set to maximum, but when i just place a unit in editor and go to that mission its the same like on those screenshots

Okay-well Becti having a 4k view distance limit would explain your problem...but you say it is the same in the editor...this is very odd.

[...] but when i just place a unit in editor and go to that mission its the same like on those screenshots

I may be mis-reading you here, but are you loading the CTI mission in the editor too? If so, start a completely fresh mission (i.e. just place a unit down on an empty map) and try it.

I may be mis-reading you here, but are you loading the CTI mission in the editor too? If so, start a completely fresh mission (i.e. just place a unit down on an empty map) and try it.

I keep saying this on so many threads-whenever anyone has an issue with graphics,performance,mods anything-go to the empty editor,place one unit,and see if it is resolved.This has to be the first step for everything.

• Like 2

Ok i made detailed screenshots. On the screenshot one i create a simple mission named 1 in editor with just me in a plane sitting on the runway, i set all weather to 0

HdWE6M6JOw4.jpg

I save it into multiplayer missions, go to multiplyer, press New and choose the mission named 1

s4ct3Prf15o.jpg

The mission starts and immediately we see some kind of fog/haze which becomes totally non-transparent at about 1.5-2km

3Sg78WHdh0M.jpg

I tried to play with the visibility settings, i noticed that i only see changes when i go under 600m. If i go under 600m some object that are in front of the fog/haze dissapear (note the red marked area)

jCdfmSWsthc.jpg

If i set visibility to any number higher then 600m nothing changes, you can only see changes when visibility is below 600m. When it is above there's no difference when it's 4km or 12km

yzjC0OwSKGc.jpg

View in flight. In flight it looks like the haze/fog is about 3-4km away from the point of view regardless of visibility settings

nQHNP8fwGJU.jpg

zagjVNQ1Sf0.jpg