jabeds

Terrain Builder Slowing PC And Eventually Freezing

When I start up terrain builder it immediately starts to slow my entire PC down, I am assuming it is being extremely CPU intensive. After just a few minutes it will completely freeze my PC and I will have to reboot. This issue was posted on the arma 3 feedback site but that has been down for weeks so I decided to post here.

I am running this on an i7 / GTX980

I have tried running as administrator, didn't help...

This sounds weird but run a verify integrity of game cache on a3 tools then open it and at the bottom of that you should see a diagnostic button. Try that and tell us if you get any errors.

Harry

It dose that for me also, and I have similar specs to you. I like to take small steps and save each time. I've lost a lot of work and time messing with Terrain Builder.

I am having the same problem. Exactly.

How did you set up everything? I was using Atlas tutorial. I used mikeros tools like it says. I don't see buldozer.exe anywhere. And I couldn't open Arma Tools exe or any of it's tools. I verified integrity of tool cache. It replaced missing files and I was able to use tools again. I still don't see buldozer and I believe the tutorial says to have buldozer point to a different location, but I can't change what isn't there.

I also have devbranch.

Maybe this info helps to figure out the problem. I have a slow connection for a couple days so I can't verify arma3 until a couple days. Maybe one of you can try it.

Plus everytime I restart my computer, the p drive disappears.

I am having the same problem. Exactly.

How did you set up everything? I was using Atlas tutorial. I used mikeros tools like it says. I don't see buldozer.exe anywhere. And I couldn't open Arma Tools exe or any of it's tools. I verified integrity of tool cache. It replaced missing files and I was able to use tools again. I still don't see buldozer and I believe the tutorial says to have buldozer point to a different location, but I can't change what isn't there.

I also have devbranch.

Maybe this info helps to figure out the problem. I have a slow connection for a couple days so I can't verify arma3 until a couple days. Maybe one of you can try it.

Plus everytime I restart my computer, the p drive disappears.

In Terrain Builder change the settings for bulldozer to your arma 3.exe

And that's normal for p drive to disappear on restart

I have this issue, too. As soon as I open Terrain Builder it immediately slows down my computer and eventually locks up and I have to reboot.

The program isn't even doing anything and it is using over half my CPU (i5 3.4Gz).

A previous post mentioned verifying the integrity of the game cache but I would like to know how to do that.

Any other possible solutions are welcome.

Same for me... my specs are:

• i7-5820k 3.30Gz
  • 16G RAM

Verified integrity and running as administrator but TB did't work properly (slow, crashes, freezes...)

Any ideas are welcome :)

Am I wrong or Terrain Building is not working properly? I´ve a lot of troubles trying to use it. Until May 27th, was fine, but since yesterday it´s not working. I started dealing with Buldozer, reinstalling and repairing a docen of times. Now I got it, it works, but can´t Generate Layers, when I Hit on Generate Layers, TBuilder crashes.

Has anyone the same trouble? 

Hi, I've the same troubles (slowing, buldozer.exe missing, etc), I solved that, reinstalling twice or three times, Arma 3 Tools and rebuilding P: (Yep, frustrating)

But, there is one more thing I can't solve. In TB, after loading Terrain, Sat and Mask, I try to generate layers, but once I click, TB crashes. I´ve been trying to fix it, surfed every post and forum, but... no way.

My proyect is to build a real terrain, so...

I´ve downloaded Terrain using Global Mapper (10240X10240 Meters), then exported it as .XYZ

I've downloaded Sat Image using  Universal Maps Downloader (Using Global Mapper Coordinates) in Zoom 15 (Then resized 10240x10240) in Gimp (.png)

I´ve created the Mask using Gimp and resized it too (10240x10240) (.png)

I´ve imported every file into Terrain Builder, setting the coordinates (Not to 200000 and 0), because of UTM Zone of real Island is 21 F, so I decided to fill easting and Northing using the real coordinates (EASTING:   357873.000 - NORTHING:  4252484.500)

Then went into Mapframe properties - filled in - (Samplers: 1024x1024 - 10 - 10240 - 1024x1024 - 10.000000 - 512x16 - 16 - 40.00x40.00
Hit on Rebuild Terrain - Then souced the layers.cfg and finally checked Export Sat, Export Mask, 4 Materials, Save RVMAT, Convert exported into .paa and Debug.

Hit on "Generate Layers" and...... Fu..... yea. TERRAIN BUILDER CRASHES. Definitely, I need help.

Hello,

i have the same Problem here. My PC stuck after any action in Terrain Builder. Operations like open, save or any other let Tb stuck and nothing helps. Only RESET!

I have imported my two maps from Visitor3 source into TB, all fine. If i try to work with the imported map, TB crashes or stuck.

This horrible tool is the point, why i made my maps with Visitor 3, for Arma II. I dont know, why Visitor was changed to this crappy and buggy TB?

My specs;

CPU:  Intel core i5-4670 @3,4 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

GPU: NVIDEA 570 GTX Black ED.
​Display: 1 x 32" Toshiba WIde

1 x 23" Acer Wide

System: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Can anybody help?

regards

falconsan

Hi,

i have tryed some options. My terrainbuilder now freezes only for a few seconds.

try this:

1.) Set in the taskmanager the CPU affinity of terrainbuilder to Core 1 and core 2.

2.) Set the Terrainbuilder.exe to Win7 compatible and check "running as Administrator".

EDIT:

I have changed the CPU affinity to only one core. Set priority in the Taskmanager to very high. Running Terrainbuilder without a running Steam.
​No freezes or crashes for four hours of work.

regards

• Like 1

Hi,

i have tryed some options. My terrainbuilder now freezes only for a few seconds.

try this:

1.) Set in the taskmanager the CPU affinity of terrainbuilder to Core 1 and core 2.

2.) Set the Terrainbuilder.exe to Win7 compatible and check "running as Administrator".

EDIT:

I have changed the CPU affinity to only one core. Set priority in the Taskmanager to very high. Running Terrainbuilder without a running Steam.

​No freezes or crashes for four hours of work.

regards

I love you.

Totally works here! Yay!