blackshad0w

group names not working in lobby (EDEN editor)

Hi all,

I have an issue with the group names.

They are perfectly named and sorted in the editor.

But when I launch the mission on the server and login it's all scrambled the names do not match.

It's renaming everything to alpha 1-1 etc.

In the 2D editor I would just open the mission.sqm and reorder the classes.

But that's no longer possible with the Eden sqm file.

Anybody that has a solution?

Regards

• Like 2

Got this issue aswell.

To explain further, I've made a blank mission with groups and roles in the 2D editor (NOT 2D view in Eden), saved it MP and all groupnames were ordered properly (Alpha 1-1, Alpha 1-2, Alpha 1-3, etc).

I then opened the same mission in Eden, saved it MP and all the groupnames got scrambled (Alpha 3-2, Bravo 2-1, Charlie 1-1, etc)

Eden is adding something during the conversion causing the groupnames to skip irregularly.

Got this issue aswell.

To explain further, I've made a blank mission with groups and roles in the 2D editor (NOT 2D view in Eden), saved it MP and all groupnames were ordered properly (Alpha 1-1, Alpha 1-2, Alpha 1-3, etc).

I then opened the same mission in Eden, saved it MP and all the groupnames got scrambled (Alpha 3-2, Bravo 2-1, Charlie 1-1, etc)

Eden is adding something during the conversion causing the groupnames to skip irregularly.

It orders by time of creation.

Hi all,

I have an issue with the group names.

They are perfectly named and sorted in the editor.

But when I launch the mission on the server and login it's all scrambled the names do not match.

It's renaming everything to alpha 1-1 etc.

In the 2D editor I would just open the mission.sqm and reorder the classes.

But that's no longer possible with the Eden sqm file.

Anybody that has a solution?

Regards

You've managed to name groups? How did you do it?

Yeah this is happening to me too.

Alpha 1-1 in the editor is now Lima something or other.

And player slot 1 is now 147 (not at home so the number might be off). The second slot is 148 instead of "2," etc.

They're ordered by time of creation.

I knew this was the case in the 2D editor, so I created my groups in order before I changed the names.

And yet my admin group that I created last, is somewhere in the middle :')

So it seems like Eden is also not really concerning itself by the order in the groups have been created.

• Like 1

Exactly. And it's not concerning itself with the actual group names or slots either (first player slot starts at 147 when I checked it last night. Strange!).

Where does a name like Lima even come from? It's 100% not something I did in the editor.

• Like 1

They're ordered by time of creation.

I know.

If you have NOTHING in the mission (including no init.sqf or description.ext) and create groups one by one, they should order themselves as Alpha 1-1, Alpha 1-2, etc.

But they are not.

Mind you: this ONLY happens in Eden, not in the "old" 2D Editor.

• Like 1

This should not working as far as i know. You can name a Group, but this should only be affect the displayed Names when one person of this Group will write something in the Chat. But the Name itself will not be showen in the List.

So if you Rename Alpha1-1 to MyAwsomeSquad

Alpha1-1 will still be visible in during join, but if some one stil write something on the Chat, the custom Name will be displayed instead of Alpha1-1

This should not working as far as i know. You can name a Group, but this should only be affect the displayed Names when one person of this Group will write something in the Chat. But the Name itself will not be showen in the List.

So if you Rename Alpha1-1 to MyAwsomeSquad

Alpha1-1 will still be visible in during join, but if some one stil write something on the Chat, the custom Name will be displayed instead of Alpha1-1

Agreed, renaming a group does not rename the group in the lobby. I think BIS is adding to the confusion to allow for editing the groupname in Eden.

The issue both me and HeroesandVilliansOS are adressing is the assigning of groupnames by Eden.

When a group is created in the old 2D editor, it's starting with Alpha 1-1 then Alpha 1-2, Alpha 1-3, etc. Exporting it as MP, it displays the groupnames correct in the lobby 

When a group is created in Eden however, it randomly starts with any groupname (e.g. Bravo 2-1) then continues with Charlie 1-3, Delta 4-2.

Also, whenever you convert a mission created in the 2D editor and load it in Eden and save it out again, the groupnames are scrambled.

Saving with Eden mixes up the groupnames.

EDIT:

I've been comparing the old 2D editor mission files and the new Eden mission files and Eden is incrementing ID's exactly according to the variable "autoGroupingDist=10;"

Strangely enough, adjusting the ID's manually to increment by 1 does not fix the groupnames when exported for MP.

Problem found and solved!

I'm pretty sure this a bug in Eden but I can't enter it on the feedback tracker anymore because it has been closed.

Anyway, here's what's happening:

Eden is assigning the ID of the group first, then increments it with one for each unit in the group (eg. id=1, id=2, etc.)

The ID of the group is assigned AFTER the units within that group.

It then moves to the next group and repeats the process.

I've created two groups, one with three units and another with five units.

In code it looks like this, notice the ID's (I've filtered out all other irrelevant code to make it easier to read):

class Entities
	{
		items=2;
		class Item0
		{
			dataType="Group";
			side="West";
			class Entities
			{
				items=3;
				class Item0
				{
					id=1;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_Soldier_TL_F";
				};
				class Item1
				{
					id=2;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_soldier_AR_F";
				};
				class Item2
				{
					id=3;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_Soldier_GL_F";
				};
			class Attributes
			{
			};
			id=0;  <--- GROUP 1 ID
		};
		class Item1
		{
			dataType="Group";
			side="West";
			class Entities
			{
				items=5;
				class Item0
				{
					id=6;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_Soldier_SL_F";
				};
				class Item1
				{
					id=7;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_soldier_AR_F";
				};
				class Item2
				{
					id=8;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_HeavyGunner_F";
				};
				class Item3
				{
					id=9;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_soldier_AAR_F";
				};
				class Item4
				{
					id=10;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_soldier_M_F";
				};
			class Attributes
			{
			};
			id=5;  <--- GROUP 2 ID
		};
	};

To make the groups order properly, ALL group ID's should be assigned first followed by the unit ID's.  

Here's how the code SHOULD be to display the groups properly in the MP lobby:

class Entities
	{
		items=2;
		class Item0
		{
			dataType="Group";
			side="West";
			class Entities
			{
				items=3;
				class Item0
				{
					id=2;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_Soldier_TL_F";
				};
				class Item1
				{
					id=3;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_soldier_AR_F";
				};
				class Item2
				{
					id=4;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_Soldier_GL_F";
		        	};
			class Attributes
			{
			};
			id=0;  <--- GROUP 1 ID
		};
		class Item1
		{
			dataType="Group";
			side="West";
			class Entities
			{
				items=5;
				class Item0
				{
					id=5;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_Soldier_SL_F";
				};
				class Item1
				{
					id=6;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_soldier_AR_F";
				};
				class Item2
				{
					id=7;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_HeavyGunner_F";
				};
				class Item3
				{
					id=8;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_soldier_AAR_F";
				};
				class Item4
				{
					id=9;  <--- UNIT ID
					type="B_soldier_M_F";
				};
			class Attributes
			{
			};
			id=1;  <--- GROUP 2 ID
		};
	};

Notice the difference in the ordering of the groups.

Edited by deleyt

I know.

If you have NOTHING in the mission (including no init.sqf or description.ext) and create groups one by one, they should order themselves as Alpha 1-1, Alpha 1-2, etc.

But they are not.

Mind you: this ONLY happens in Eden, not in the "old" 2D Editor.

I was refering by lobby slot order not their actual names.

I'm pretty sure this a bug in Eden but I can't enter it on the feedback tracker anymore because it has been closed.

I thought the problem was due to creating groups in other sides thus messing the naming convention, guess it just messes itself up.

How did you Read the SQM to change the Classes?

Anyway, here's what's happening:

Eden is assigning the ID of the group first, then increments it with one for each unit in the group (eg. id=1, id=2, etc.)

The ID of the group is assigned AFTER the units within that group.

It then moves to the next group and repeats the process.

Noticing huge number jumps in player slots as well. Old mission mission was 1-32, new converted mission is in the 700's.

I missed the part where you solved it?

A.) How did you convert the new mission.sqm to the old style?

B.) Is there a way to fix the bug without accessing the mission.sqm?

C.) Does Bohemia know about this?

I am also unable to access the role selection for some missions (on dedicated server) that I converted using EDEN, edited player slots and exported to multiplayer.

Wanted to add this in case Bohemia reads it. Specifically when editing a mission using Eden it's as though the squad callsigns are not being reset after deleting playable units. After twice deleting all of the units, the new callsigns when creating new units continued from where they had left off as though the old units were still existing. Instead of Alpha 1-1 the new units began at something like Kilo 1-3.

How did you Read the SQM to change the Classes?

- Start Eden and open your missionfile

- Go to ATTRIBUTES > GENERAL

- Unfold the MISC tab (if it isn't already)

- Uncheck "Binarize the Scenario File"

- Save your missionfile

- Use a text editor to open and edit the mission.sqm

Noticing huge number jumps in player slots as well. Old mission mission was 1-32, new converted mission is in the 700's.

I missed the part where you solved it?

A.) How did you convert the new mission.sqm to the old style?

B.) Is there a way to fix the bug without accessing the mission.sqm?

C.) Does Bohemia know about this?

I am also unable to access the role selection for some missions (on dedicated server) that I converted using EDEN, edited player slots and exported to multiplayer.

I'm not sure on this but I believe the numbers skipping is caused by the variable "autoGroupingDist=10;". Whenever a new group is created it skips the amount set in the variable.

A.) I did not convert the new .sqm format to the old style.  I just saved my mission with Eden (with binarize set to "off", see above) and edited my mission from there.

B.) I don't know about any other solution except accessing it through the mission.sqm with a text-editor. I've tried it multiple times within Eden but that didn't work.

C.) The feedback tracker is offline, so I'm mentioning it here. I don't know where to address this issue otherwise.

Regarding the roleselection: I haven't used my mission on a dedicated server (yet). I did only test it as a MP host. You might want to check in your Eden saved mission that all playable units are actually set to "playable", but I guess you have.

They Binarized the file for faster loading times etc.

So i would like to keep it that way, i just hope Bohemia fixed this issue and make it that you can order the groups.

They Binarized the file for faster loading times etc.

So i would like to keep it that way, i just hope Bohemia fixed this issue and make it that you can order the groups

Reload the mission when it's text-edited, set it back to Binarize and save it out again.

Did groups ever get an Id before the Eden update?

I looked at some of my .sqm - files that were created in the 2d editor and didn't find any Ids for groups.

It used to look like this:

class Groups
	{
		items=2;
		class Item0
		{
			side="WEST";
			class Vehicles
			{
				items=3;
				class Item0
				{
					id=0;
					vehicle="B_Soldier_SL_F";
				};
				class Item1
				{
					id=1;
					vehicle="B_soldier_AR_F";
				};
				class Item2
				{
					id=2;
					vehicle="B_Soldier_GL_F";
				};
			};
		};
		class Item1
		{
			side="WEST";
			class Vehicles
			{
				items=1;
				class Item0
				{
					id=3;
					vehicle="B_officer_F";
				};
			};
		};
	}; 

And that worked totally fine.

But now it looks like deleyt described it; with entities that have datatypes and ids and stuff.

Maybe that's the issue?

hi..

i just cut those other Alpha groups out  in starting with last group and used UNDO to put the groups back. Now they are  right in multiplay roll assigment.