gingerlikeme

Import Stratis Into Terrain Builder

Hi,

I Want to add more islands around the island of stratis, like people did with taviana.

How would i import all the files into terrain builder to add these island?

What is the easiest way to add the islands And where is the directory?

Thanks in advance

Harry

If you're looking for the "easiest way" to do anything terrain related, terrain modeling probably isn't for you.  If you haven't already found the directory on your own, then you definitely aren't ready for it and you won't get much help here since you haven't taken that initiative.  Start by making a very small map, maybe just 4 km square, all ocean with a little island in the middle of it.  Figure out how to get that running.  That will give you a manageable project on which to learn.

I can use terrain builder but I can't seem to find the stratis map. What I meant by easiest way was that I don't won't to redo all the config.

You didnt do your homework. Never wondered why there are no modified Altis or Stratis maps around?

If you did look around a bit in your P-drive you might have found the pbos conatining stratis, but if you do already know terrainbuilder you might have recognized something else:

Might have to do something with the fact that they are binarized, so no .tv4p or- .wrp to load into Terrainbuilder.

Bohemia did not allow modification so far for those islands, so they did not release unbinarized files like they did for the A2 maps.

If you want do do something similar to stratis with more islands you have to build it up completely by yourself from scratch or use some of the old free-to-use maps from A2 etc

• Like 1

I did notice that Cosmo that's the point of the post. I was just clarifying that there was no way.

I want to thank you all for such fast replies!

comments like "you didn't do your homework" are not appropriate. You could of said the same thing but in a nicer way.

Please acknowledge that not everyone is pro at terrain building.

Again thank you for the fast responses and I will see you all later.

He's under no obligation to say anything in "a nicer way."  He was right.  You don't know the first thing so we're trying to help you learn that first thing.  We know "that not everyone is pro at terrain building" and in fact offered you some good advice on how to learn it based on experience. 

Make a tiny practice map and get it working; you'll get lots of help if you do that, and you'll gain the knowledge to later on build whatever you can imagine. 

• Like 1

You didnt do your homework. Never wondered why there are no modified Altis or Stratis maps around?

If you did look around a bit in your P-drive you might have found the pbos conatining stratis, but if you do already know terrainbuilder you might have recognized something else:

Might have to do something with the fact that they are binarized, so no .tv4p or- .wrp to load into Terrainbuilder.

Bohemia did not allow modification so far for those islands, so they did not release unbinarized files like they did for the A2 maps.

If you want do do something similar to stratis with more islands you have to build it up completely by yourself from scratch or use some of the old free-to-use maps from A2 etc

It's totally possible to unbin this .wrp into a .pew (with WrptoPew from Mikeros Dos Tools) and import it later in TerrainBuilder, only the satellite imagery, normal map and the mask will need to be created again (mostly from the current splited layers...), objects and terrain settings will be the same as the original terrain ( http://i.imgur.com/vvK4tPX.jpg ) (@Gingerlikeme Stratis files are located in A3/map_stratis and some secondary files likes ground textures and CAWorld config are stored in A3/map_data if you want to know).

And to remake the Mask, Normal Map and Satellite Imagery It will take what... maybe 1 or 2 hours ? Then edit some quick configs lines or build a new config file if you want and rock'on.  ;) It's could be a nicer way to learn some basics things before creating his own terrain latter I think but who know, everyone have their own preferences. And of course, you can do that with Altis or VR World too if you want for some reasons.

AFAIK BI allow this as is under APL-SA license.

It's totally possible to unbin this .wrp into a .pew (with WrptoPew from Mikeros Dos Tools) and import it later in TerrainBuilder, only the satellite imagery, normal map and the mask will need to be created again (mostly from the current splited layers...), objects and terrain settings will be the same as the original terrain ( http://i.imgur.com/vvK4tPX.jpg ) (@Gingerlikeme Stratis files are located in A3/map_stratis and some secondary files likes ground textures and CAWorld config are stored in A3/map_data if you want to know).

And to remake the Mask, Normal Map and Satellite Imagery It will take what... maybe 1 or 2 hours ? Then edit some quick configs lines or build a new config file if you want and rock'on.  ;) It's could be a nicer way to learn some basics things before creating his own terrain latter I think but who know, everyone have their own preferences. And of course, you can do that with Altis or VR World too if you want for some reasons.

Did you miss the part in his posts where he asked "What is the easiest way to add the islands And where is the directory?" and "... I don't won't to redo all the config"    He ain't ready for what you describe.  But he is interested in modifying terrain, so if he takes the basic simple steps to learn how to get a basic island in game, he can eventually.

• Like 1

Modifying Arma 3 Maps is clearly NOT allowed!

Idk where you got that information but its clearly false.

Edit: also, APL-SA does not mean "yea I can rip it apart how I like".

Explicit permission from the author must be given when the APL-SA is applied.

Modifying Arma 3 Maps is clearly NOT allowed!

Idk where you got that information but its clearly false.

Why then can you edit features like weapons, vehicles, functions and create a mission scenario with custom placed objects and release them as a mod? Why you can't edit the terrain itself? Some people have already do that in a certain way, Blastcore Phoenix with Blastcore Skies, Bad Benson with is awesome Midrange terrain texture or Super-Truite & Makelovenotwar with ArmAGeddon by editing the config file of islands.

Edit: also, APL-SA does not mean "yea I can rip it apart how I like".

Explicit permission from the author must be given when the APL-SA is applied.

APL-SA stand for Arma Public License - Share Alike what that's globally means it's that you can modify the original creation released by the author if you release your final product as the same license. You can modify the original content without the permission of the author as the APL-SA means you can edit the content freely under certain conditions.

Bornholm for example use this license and you don't need the permission of egilsandfeld if you modify the terrain and release it as the same license. 

With this licence you are free to adapt (i.e. modify, rework or update) and share (i.e. copy, distribute or transmit) the material under the following conditions:

• Attribution - You must attribute the material in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the material).
  • Noncommercial - You may not use this material for any commercial purposes.
  • Arma Only - You may not convert or adapt this material to be used in other games than Arma.
  • Share Alike - If you adapt, or build upon this material, you may distribute the resulting material only under the same license.

Did you miss the part in his posts where he asked "What is the easiest way to add the islands And where is the directory?" and "... I don't won't to redo all the config"    He ain't ready for what you describe.  But he is interested in modifying terrain, so if he takes the basic simple steps to learn how to get a basic island in game, he can eventually.

I just give him some ways to do what it want, I leave him free to do as his feel it, if he wants to start with a tutorial such as those of Bushlurker or Jakerode, fine, it's just that people who scream it's impossible every time piss me off.

Hey,

to the best of my knowledge, the Arma 3 terrains have never been released under APL-SA, so that license does not apply.

The data, which we have released under the APL and similar licenses are available for download here  https://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/licensed-data-packages. Each pack has the correct license (or licenses) marked in its file name and also one copy should be attached to it in the file itself.

• Like 3

Hey,

to the best of my knowledge, the Arma 3 terrains have never been released under APL-SA, so that license does not apply.

The data, which we have released under the APL and similar licenses are available for download here  https://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/licensed-data-packages. Each pack has the correct license (or licenses) marked in its file name and also one copy should be attached to it in the file itself.

Thanks for make it clear. I thought all generated content from BI for Arma 3 (if we exclude DLC) is part of the APL-SA license. So you confirm that we have the "right" to edit the map for our personal purpose but we can't publish it?

Thanks for make it clear. I thought all generated content from BI for Arma 3 (if we exclude DLC) is part of the APL-SA license. So you confirm that we have the "right" to edit the map for our personal purpose but we can't publish it?

Id say no. Unpacking the A3 material is prohibited by their license I think as they are not released as open packages. 

Currently all the data in Arma 3 is distributed under EULA (https://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/arma3-end-user-license) . If  you take such content like Altis Map and you want to edit it, you would have to debinarize it by using external tools, which would fall under disassembly or reverse-engineering and such use of the data is expressly forbidden by the EULA – whether you publish it or not is irrelevant.
There might be practical issues with enforcing such provisions when it is done at home and no one knows about it, but that does not mean it is allowed or that it complies with our licenses.
For editing Arma 3 terrains, you will have to wait for if and when the data is released under more permissive license such as APL-SA (Disclaimer - this is not a promise of such release and it is still something we will have to determine in the future.)

I think everything has been clarified and there isn't anything to add, therefore: topic closed  :292: