Freghar

eventhandler for entity (vehicle) creation/spawn

Hello,

can I somehow perform a piece of code whenever a new vehicle (unit, non-agent preferably) is created, either via the Curator or as createVehicle?

The use case is to be able to add a Killed EH for the unit, to add the hideBody menu action, as there's apparently no universal Killed EH that would trigger for any vehicle without prior registration for that vehicle.

Reading the wiki, I found https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Event_Handlers#Init, but I seem to be unable to register any EHs from description.ext, so I presume this is limited to addons. I also found https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/185201-apply-onkilledsqf-to-ai-spawned-from-a-module/ , where people suggest looping all units, which is certainly doable, although very inefficient, has to be performed repeatedly and creates a race condition (vehicle killed before the Killed EH is added).

Also, I don't have any way of checking if that Killed EH is already registered for a vehicle.

Any ideas, please? Can I use CBA's XEH for this somehow? Some of them seem to be usable from description.ext, although they seem to be limited to mission start.

Thank you.

CuratorObjectPlaced

For createVehicle, if you are using scripts to spawn objects, it should be trivial to edit the script and add an event handler right below the object creation

Thanks, I kind of started investigating the XEH idea as soon as I wrote it and it turns out to be pretty simple:

class Extended_Init_Eventhandlers
{
    class CAManBase
    {
        class XEH_MyOwnXEHTest
        {
            init = "0 = (_this select 0) spawn { sleep 5; deleteVehicle _this; }";
        };
    };
};
I wonder, though, if this could be done without CBA.

Use this

This unfortunately doesn't help me with mods which use createVehicle directly (and which I don't want to / can not edit). Needless to say, the XEH I posted does exactly what I wanted - it even triggers for crew in a Curator-spawned vehicle, which is awesome.

For anyone interested, it turns out there was actually a XEH for when any (from editor, Curator, createVehicle, ..) unit is killed,

class Extended_Killed_Eventhandlers
{
	class CAManBase
	{
		class XEH_HideBodyAction
		{
			killed = "(_this select 0) call your_fnc_hidebody;"
		};
	};
};
params ["_corpse"];

_corpse addAction [
  "Hide Body",
  {
    params ["_target", "_caller"];
    hideBody _target;
    _caller playActionNow "MedicOther";
  },
  nil,
  true,
  true,
  "",
  "(_target distance _this) < 2"
];
Too bad attachTo doesn't work on corpses, that would have been much better for hiding bodies away.

Thanks for helping anyway, I appreciate it. :)

addMissionEventHandler [ "EntityKilled", {
    params [ "_killed", "_killer" ];

if ( typeOf _killed isKindOf "Man" ) then {

_killed addAction [
          "Hide Body",
          {
            hideBody _target;
          },
          nil,
          true,
          true,
          "",
    ];
    };
}];
  • Like 1

create an addon with a base man class and have that base man class init some code. 

However having a CreateUnit, CreateVehicle EH would really help and be extremely useful, especially for HC.

This was raised as a suggestion for a new scripting command, but quickly dismissed with the attitude of "Create an addon for base class man and add some init code"

They also mentioned using XEH.

If your running 3rd party addons then write an addon that taps into XEH, this would probably only need to be dome on the HC and server

addMissionEventHandler [ "EntityKilled", {
    params [ "_killed", "_killer" ];

if ( typeOf _killed isKindOf "Man" ) then {

_killed addAction [
          "Hide Body",
          {
            hideBody _target;
          },
          nil,
          true,
          true,
          "",
    ];
    };
}];
Thanks, I missed that - it seems these (Killed/Respawned) are fairly new (1.55), cool. :)
  • Like 1