MikeW

Arm3 Stuttering/FPS Lag spike

Hey, I really need help with this annoying issue. I'm currently trying to run this game but keep coming across lag spikes FPS wise. My Rig

i3 4170

8gb RAM

1 TB hard drive

GTX 960 2gb

Before my GTX 960 I had a GT 740 and I was running Arma 3 on Standard steady 40fps and now I have a 960 it's running at 20-40 and lag spiking after 10 min of game-play. I've messed around with the setting, put it down to LOW textures low res and my game looks ugly as hell. I've checked all youtube suggestions and methods but still getting the issue :( 

Is this in Sp or on a server? How does it run in an empty editor? Are you running mods? View distance settings?

Have a look at this and see if it applies to you- https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187802-workshop-content-tries-to-update-every-time-i-try-to-launch-arma-3/

If not,come back and I we will try and get you sorted.

In Arma3,  FPS are CPU dependant, not GPU bound.

The main effect of switching from GT 740 to GTX 960 is you can get "Ultra" settings.

You can get small FPS increase due to the global enhancement.

The main effect of having a GTX 960 and switching to "Low" is to get low quality display.

Do you have lag or are you disappointed not to get a huge FPS jump ?

To get more FPS -even if I believe that getting 40 FPS is OK- , the only way is to upgrade your CPU.

To have no more lag, you need a better Internet connexion.

Arma3 stuttering is a different issue, mainly related to amount of textures loaded in-game.

Here, the only way is to upgrade your HD to SSHD or switch to SSD for Windows and Arma*

Is this in Sp or on a server? How does it run in an empty editor? Are you running mods? View distance settings?

Have a look at this and see if it applies to you- https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187802-workshop-content-tries-to-update-every-time-i-try-to-launch-arma-3/

If not,come back and I we will try and get you sorted.

Happens in both single player and multiplayer. And no that does not apply to me.

So it is severe spikes? Or just generally low fps? When you say it lags after 10 minutes, is that even in the editor with just one unit there?

Can i ask you graphics settings?Specifically view distance?

And if possible, could you run the Altis benchmark mission from this link and tell me what your fps score is? http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19802

So it is severe spikes? Or just generally low fps? When you say it lags after 10 minutes, is that even in the editor with just one unit there?

Can i ask you graphics settings?Specifically view distance?

And if possible, could you run the Altis benchmark mission from this link and tell me what your fps score is? http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19802

it like drops to 10 fps then shoots back up to 50.

My settings are on Standard and draw distance is 7500

Avg fps

Stratis:53

Altis: 42 

Draw distance is 7500? That is very high. I'm running a GTX 980 and an i5 4690k and I keep my distance at about 2500.Try putting it down-it should improve.

In Arma* the so called video parameter "Visibility" is in fact a 100% CPU parameter.

It's related to the way terrain is calculated before rendering.

From my own experience with a i3-4130, the safe limit is around 3000m.

In Arma* the so called video parameter "Visibility" is in fact a 100% CPU parameter.

It's related to the way terrain is calculated before rendering.

From my own experience with a i3-4130, the safe limit is around 3000m.

Exactly-I have never seen someone run at 7000m. I think we may have found the solution here :)

Exactly-I have never seen someone run at 7000m. I think we may have found the solution here :)

I'm still lag spiking :(

I'm getting nasty FPS drop spikes recently too.

I was away for a couple of months then came home, updated 2 months worth of updates, upgraded to windows 10 and now I'm getting FPS spikes every 5 to 15 seconds - each spike lasts around 1-2 seconds (enough time to get shot). I'm not certain why the spikes are happening. Whether it was the OS upgrade? Maybe a hardware issue? I'm at a loss. Apart from the spikes, the game runs silky smooth, as it did before.

My PC Specs

i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX 770
16GB RAM

500GB SSD << OS & ArmA drive

2TB HDD
Windows 10 Pro

Any help would be greatly appreciated because this is making playing the game unbearable!