robaroo

Sound update ruined this game...

Really? 

Can you make a video showing it? Please?

Yes, so now please go ahead and post your enormous list.

• Like 1

Ok.

In your opinion the quality is the same?

Are you sure that the attenuation vs sound sources have the same quailty?

If yes, I rest my case. Everything has become clear.

Oh btw, and that in your sample is without "special effects". Just as a reminder with FMOD with or without "special effects" the quality is the same.

(ps. in your video what we have is ALL sound samples/sources being all attenuated in same way, according to distance, which is not exactly what is happening in the video that I have posted.

Anyway, for you and some other hollywood style folllowers, what is important are the effects, explosions, echoes, KABOOM loud as possible, For me is just the quality.

And the in the video I have posted we have quality, in yours we have just a mess of sounds).

(ps. in your video what we have is ALL sound samples/sources being all attenuated in same way, according to distance, which is not exactly what is happening in the video that I have posted.

How else are they being attenuated in your video then?

OK I'm done with this guy. You ask him to do something simple (provide proof for his claims about what I said) and he goes on to ramble about other things using words like "quality" and "special effects" without explaining at all what the hell he means.

Seriously bratwurste, I already have suggested giving you a warning by mods but the only thing keeping you afloat is that your bullshit posts don't break forum rules.

Damn man. Never happy this dude. You really must be fun at parties.

• Like 5

Ok.

In your opinion the quality is the same?

Are you sure that the attenuation vs sound sources have the same quailty?

If yes, I rest my case. Everything has become clear.

Oh btw, and that in your sample is without "special effects". Just as a reminder with FMOD with or without "special effects" the quality is the same.

Anyway, for you and some other hollywood style folllowers, what is important are the effects, explosions, echoes, KABOOM loud as possible, For me is just the quality.

And the in the video I have posted we have quality, in yours we have just a mess of sounds).

The new sound engine allows to specify different type of filters (lp/hp etc) as well as dynamic volume curves to each sound, additionally it offers multiple ways to handle stereo processing. I couldnt be arsed to make a hastle at 2 in the morning. Then again, I'm done with this, too, and you might want to play some other games that include your special effects.

• Like 1

Nope. Since the new engine is "new", it is separate from the main game core and runs in its own thread. No problems there.

I was about to call bullshit on that, simply because I haven't heard any developer stating that, and having seen some contrary proofs before.

But since I don't like making such claims lightly, I had to do some checking first.

A pleasant surprise to see that something about sound processing threads has indeed changed recently:

Here's a frame capture of a benchmark mission from a year ago : http://i.imgur.com/Cou7nS7.jpg .

Notice the sound process in the main thread takes about 5ms.

The same mission in the latest game version: http://i.imgur.com/Eh4upFC.jpg

While the sound is still in the main thread, it takes a lot less time than before. Also, there's now another parallel sound related job, (the one starting right afterwards on a line below, though the title is not visible because I had accidentally expanded it) which I assume is separated the from main sound thread.

So, no; the sound update didn't ruin the game, at least performance wise. B)

I was about to call bullshit on that, simply because I haven't heard any developer stating that, and having seen some contrary proofs before.

But since I don't like making such claims lightly, I had to do some checking first.

A pleasant surprise to see that something about sound processing threads has indeed changed recently:

Here's a frame capture of a benchmark mission from a year ago : http://i.imgur.com/Cou7nS7.jpg .

Notice the sound process in the main thread takes about 5ms.

The same mission in the latest game version: http://i.imgur.com/Eh4upFC.jpg

While the sound is still in the main thread, it takes a lot less time than before. Also, there's now another parallel sound related job, (the one starting right afterwards on a line below, though the title is not visible because I had accidentally expanded it) which I assume is separated the from main sound thread.

So, no; the sound update didn't ruin the game, at least performance wise. B)

Awesome nerd shit right there man! We need to get in contact, I like your style! Add me on skype!

I am actually working closely with the audio guys and they told me it's not running in the main thread. Oh well.

I am actually working closely with the audio guys and they told me it's not running in the main thread. Oh well.

I guess it wouldn't even possible to run completely separated without some input from the main thread, but it has clearly changed for the better with the latest updates.

Just make 6 different sounds that have different attenuation curves, filters etc. That's how it's likely also done in that FMOD video. I don't see how that couldn't be done technically.

OK I'm done with this guy. You ask him to do something simple (provide proof for his claims about what I said) and he goes on to ramble about other things using words like "quality" and "special effects" without explaining at all what the hell he means.

Seriously bratwurste, I already have suggested giving you a warning by mods but the only thing keeping you afloat is that your bullshit posts don't break forum rules.

Damn man. Never happy this dude. You really must be fun at parties.

Relax mate. For sound advisor/designer (or whatever you are) you are a bit nervous, I think. Maybe if you were a bit more relaxed you could give a better help for game sound.
Not going to waste my precious time with a senseless discussion about sound Api(s) when the facts speak for themselves and the facts about limitations of XAudio2 are pretty well known.
I don't know if FMOD (or similar Api) has some viability in matters of investment cost, but I have no doubt that could and would be a huge increase for game overall quality and surely would help with sales.
It is just sad to see a high quality concept (as ARMA undoubtedly is) being forced  to live with a low quality sound.

It is just sad to see a high quality concept (as ARMA undoubtedly is) being forced  to live with a low quality sound.

Actually, the truly sad part is you can't (or wont) admit how far the sounds have come in this series in terms of (...wait for it *dramatic drum-roll*...that's right, you guessed it) quality and special effects. Instead of posting about how shit the sounds are (I'm para-phrasing there), simply wind your neck in and appreciate how much difference one person (no, not you Megagoth, sit down! :P)  has made to the sound-scape of this game.

Instead of making piss-poorly researched and completely baseless comments such as "they should add $0.01 to the price (of the expansion) and add FMOD!" or whatever the hell you were rambling about, either install a sound-mod that caters to your tastes, or better yet, re-write the sound engine yourself and see how the community as a whole appreciate your efforts.

• Like 5

Yes mate, I like the way you think, Some uber awesome mods with some uber sound effects, like mega explosions,  awesome reverbs and shit related is all what we need,

Bratwurste and the follwoing people are just some insane guys,

FMOD has been integrated as a primary sound-effects system into the following game engines, what a fools,

All this people are just a bunch of crazy ones, why they just dont use the amazing XAudio2? Fools thats what they are.

Anyway mate, following your (and your mates) line of thought just made me to save some bucks.

Yes mate, I like the way you think, Some uber awesome mods with some uber sound effects, like mega explosions,  awesome reverbs and shit related is all what we need,

Bratwurste and the follwoing people are just some insane guys,

FMOD has been integrated as a primary sound-effects system into the following game engines, what a fools,

All this people are just a bunch of crazy ones, why they just dont use the amazing XAudio2? Fools thats what they are.

Anyway mate, following your (and your mates) line of thought just made me to save some bucks.

In case you can't tell from my obnoxious personality, I don't have any "mates".

Also, congratulations on actually getting around to adding links to back up your arguments (even if they are kind of pointless in this context), even if it is a tongue-in-cheek satirical quip at your own inability to form a well structured argument.

• Like 1

Relax mate, insults are not needed.

Also, In the post above Ive said that your right and I am wrong.

Relax mate, enjoy your beer (or whatever you are drinking).

Edit. 

Should have made a quote from your post, I see you removed the insult.

You see mate, I am forced to say thanks again for teaching me how the things are,

All of which are run-of-the-mill engines which nobody singles out for particular praise on the audio front.

Frostbite on the other hand is widely acknowledged as a leader (if not the very best) in game engine audio and guess what? It was developed in-house. I wonder why they didn't just license FMOD?

• Like 2

All of which are run-of-the-mill engines which nobody singles out for particular praise on the audio front.

Frostbite on the other hand is widely acknowledged as a leader in game engine audio and guess what? It was developed in-house. I wonder why they didn't just license FMOD?

Maybe because its a platform primarly made for consoles where the sound play a secondary role?

Just guessing.

Maybe because its a platform primarly made for consoles where the sound play a secondary role?

Just guessing.

*drinks beer*

Cross-Platform ≠ "primarily for consoles"

DICE initially created Frostbite during the development of Battlefield Bad Company with the intent to build a generic engine suitable for all future DICE titles.

We learnt a lot developing our first engine so with Frostbite 2 our team completely re-engineered all major systems to address issues and improve overall quality of our games. We also took this opportunity to make better use of existing console resources as well as take advantage of high-end multicore PCs which we firmly believed would be the base for all future platforms.

Also, a secondary role to what? Graphics? Surely they'd play more of a part on PC given console's inherent lack of upgrade-ability and static specifications.
  • Like 1

*drinks beer*

Cross-Platform ≠ "primarily for consoles"

Also, a secondary role to what? Graphics? Surely they'd play more of a part on PC given console's inherent lack of upgrade-ability and static specifications.

This time I am going  to quote (just in case).

What?

I'm sorry, please allow me to write it in crayon for you.

You claimed DICE's Frostbite engine was made primarily for consoles, however I refuted that erroneous statement by quoting the DICE website which states the engine was made as a cross-platform ([crayon]that means it works equally well on consoles as well as PC[/crayon]).

I also then questioned the part where you said that sound plays a "secondary role" on consoles, by attempting to elaborate on your somewhat vague and unstructured statement by merely suggestion that if sound is "secondary", what could possibly be "primary".

• Like 1

Just guessing.

Suggest you add that to your forum signature.

• Like 5

I'm sorry, please allow me to write it in crayon for you.

You claimed DICE's Frostbite engine was made primarily for consoles, however I refuted that erroneous statement by quoting the DICE website which states the engine was made as a cross-platform ([crayon]that means it works equally well on consoles as well as PC[/crayon]).

I also then questioned the part where you said that sound plays a "secondary role" on consoles, by attempting to elaborate on your somewhat vague and unstructured statement by merely suggestion that if sound is "secondary", what could possibly be "primary".

Mate, I dont know what to say. seriously.

Dam it, after some hard digging I have found my BF3 account, Look how much I love it (as PC platform)

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/HellFragger/stats/730417216/pc/(what?? 38 hours played with BF3? No wonder why I forgot mine Origin account credentials)

Btw, I was a big fan of BF2 and BFBC2 (PC)\

More digging, there is me with BFBC2 (PC)

http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/Cpt_Hoeflich

This makes me a Frostbite expert or what?

Some more digging, mine AA2 account.

https://battletracker.com/playerstats/aao/634601/%5BBAHAMUT%5D.Mohican/

This makes me a UE2 expert or what?

More digging, 1000 hours with AA3? That makes me a UE3 expert or what?

And what? 1500 hours with CSGO? That makes me a Source expert or what?

hkupaSa.jpg

Not to mention the freakin COD4, but at that time we could play it with Steam disabled so .. hours played did not count.

2ncaqJV.jpg

Man, I am just too nice. ;)

Mate, I dont know what to say. seriously.[...]

We get that.

Listen man, you seem to care, you just need to figure out a way to communicate your thoughts properly.

You post links to Wikipedia articles as proof that FMOD has been integrated as a primary sound-effects system into the following game engines? Yet when I type "fmod" into my browser "search in page" field I can not find FMOD anywhere. So if you're posting links, make sure they contain proof for the message you're communicating.

Again, you seem to care. But let's work together here, eh? I still need a mission to reproduce the case of "missing sounds in the middle of a firefight". If you would help me get a mission that triggers the issue 100% I'd be very happy.

*snip*

So, hang on. You're claiming that because you've played a lot of games on a lot of different engines, that makes you an expert on how those engines work

jvc45.jpg

I'd be more inclined to believe you if you'd said you'd actually developed games on those aforementioned engines, but simply playing games based on those engines means jack-shit in the grand scheme of things.