robaroo

Sound update ruined this game...

I have 1300+ hrs and played with alot of regulars. I hate to say it but the new sound changes really have ruined this game.

Please for the love of Beer and Boobs give us a client side option to revert to the old sounds.

I need your update in regards to your issue.Do you run any mods that might not be updated for latest game version

and result in sound problems?

For me soundscape never sounded as good as now because of distant sounds, beefier explosions, 3d positional

audio and 3d position of sonic cracks.

All that successfully achived due to Audio engine refactoring, new sound configuration (which took them months to get here)

transition curves, distant samples, additional sound samples, sonic crack improvements, frequency attenuation and global sound parameters.

Lots of tehnical words, but are explained in this blog

I have 1300+ hrs and played with alot of regulars. I hate to say it but the new sound changes really have ruined this game.

Please for the love of Beer and Boobs give us a client side option to revert to the old sounds.

You have to be far more specific-what exactly are your complaints?

I guess it's a matter of taste. As far as ruined the game goes. I'm amazed that anyone feels this way. Yes there is still work to do and tweaking. But Anyone I have played with said it's amazeballs in comparison to 1.54.

Guess having a client side deactivation if it's not so much hassle or breaks anything is not unreasonable. or maybe I just want that beer.

Guess having a client side deactivation if it's not so much hassle or breaks anything is not unreasonable. or maybe I just want that beer.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that configuring and distributing a menu option for two entirely different sound sets would actually be a pretty big god damn hassle. Nobody ever thinks through these "MAKE IT AN OPTION!!1" posts.

• Like 4

What?

The new upgraded audio is freaking AWESOME!

This last update was a huge step forward. :D

• Like 3

Lol, game sound is so much better now compared to 1.54 , it's like comparing opera to rave music :D

• Like 4

Shots from about 800m + sound great. 

Issue seems to be close range. Was it all recorded in a closed firing range? I used to be able to tell where shots are coming from...now it just sounds like echoes that give no idea where its coming from.

I love the game but the way i see it...i play "Squad" and the sounds sound amazing. When i get back into arma 3 (again 1300+ hrs) i just cant enjoy it anymore. Maybe its me..(and the other 3 on TS) but something just doesnt seem right :(

when they changed the weapon sounds the first time... this was a real dealbreaker..

but now... these new sounds... OH MAN... FUCKING AWESOME!!!

everyone who plays on our servers likes the new sounds...

New sounds are a massive improvement, we have come a very long way since A2.

Issue seems to be close range. Was it all recorded in a closed firing range? I used to be able to tell where shots are coming from...now it just sounds like echoes that give no idea where its coming from.

I love the game but the way i see it...i play "Squad" and the sounds sound amazing. When i get back into arma 3 (again 1300+ hrs) i just cant enjoy it anymore. Maybe its me..(and the other 3 on TS) but something just doesnt seem right :(

I would have to say quite the contrary.  I can now better detect where shots are coming from because they have an associated tail and not just a lame, dull single shot with no feeling to it.  Maybe something isn't right on your end.  

I don't understand how tails have a positive or negative effect on locating the sound source.

Without wanting to suggest that all updates are an improvement (I'm looking at you New-Fatigue-System), when people struggle to come to terms with changes that are widely held to be positive I'm reminded of the A3 launch tag line;

SURVIVE . ADAPT . WIN

• Like 4

Robaroo, you must have some issues with your Arma installation. The latest sound update is abolutely great.

Check if your souncard is configured for 5.1 channels and you are actually using a stereo system or headset.

Anyway, your claim is far from general opinions as you already can see.

• Like 1

I do think the new system is improving but I really can't understand how people can like the WAY overdone reverb on distant shots.  It sounds like they are coming from a tin can.  I guess the sound boys were so excited by it that they put it on max ;)

It needs to be toned down a bit.

The new sounds are by far excellent. I can sort of tell when silenced shots impact and a general direction!

The new sounds are better and I can actually tell where they emit from now unlike previously. Don't see an issue.

The new sounds are amazing!, i guess you prefer the paintball sounds ( classic sounds )

You have my support.

That is how it is in real life. The first few seconds of a fire fight are confusing as hell trying to figure out where the fire is coming from.  

New sounds are great!

• Like 1

You have my support.

Try use a 5.1 audio system ... even a headset with real 5.1... you will be amazed for sure. In this moment I even prefer vanilla sounds over JSRS ...

With the new sound I barely hear anything. It sounds like a twig snapping, when someone shoots from around 100m away, like a silencer in a Hollywood movie. Not sure what is wrong (I guess it is related to my system) but everyone claiming that OP is wrong should consider that sound quality can vary depending on the PC. Obviously the sounds should be better than before, but for me this whole update is acting strange.

It could be something related to some sound drivers maybe. I do have an dedicated Creative Z sound card with a real 5.1 channels headset and everything works just great. Sounds are more consistent, explosions can literally be felt now, low frequenices are more natural. Sound positioning is now better. I have encountered some flaws also, but  they are just exceptions and I am sure they will be solved in time.

I tried the Dyna Sound and even the newest DragonFyre sound mods but I had to return to vanilla because it is better adapted for now. However I am sure DragonFyre will soon evolve into something greater, but it is just not yet there.