muf

Difficulty Overhaul

disagree about 3rd person being able to be overidden in user preferences. sometimes mission makers want to be able to lock their mission to 1st person only to prevent that looking 360' around while in cover. right now there's a very hacky way to do so but having a simple command that mission makers can choose to use would be a sure win.

• Like 2

disagree about 3rd person being able to be overidden in user preferences. sometimes mission makers want to be able to lock their mission to 1st person only to prevent that looking 360' around while in cover. right now there's a very hacky way to do so but having a simple command that mission makers can choose to use would be a sure win.

Agree, a simple script command to limit 3rd person (overriding individual user's 3rd person preference setting) would be a very nice indeed...  In addition to the option to disallow 3rd person per server.

My point was 3rd person (and crosshair) should continue to be allowable in Veteran mode... otherwise I can't get a proper combo of difficulty options for my SP (and LAN) play-style.

• Like 2

otherwise I can't get a proper combo of difficulty options for my SP (and LAN) play-style.

Regardless what the presets are in the end you will always be able to create whatever combo suits you by using "Custom" settings.

sometimes mission makers want to be able to lock their mission...

This seems like the good old platform vs. game dilemma :) By this you'd also create space for more confusion when player has something enabled and suddenly in one mission it doesn't work. Wouldn't you want to keep features under difficulty settings a "territorial sea" of the player?
  • Like 2

Regardless what the presets are in the end you will always be able to create whatever combo suits you by using "Custom" settings.

I seem to recall needing Veteran or above to overcome some hard coded game behaviour that pulled from the Configs... now that I think about it, perhaps all the way back in ArmA1.

Anyhow, good to hear oukej.  As long as we can adjust everything in the settings (or otherwise via script command), I'm a happy camper.  :)

Backward compatibility has been mentioned as important, but Arma 2 and 3 all had FOUR difficulty presets, Recruit, Regular, Veteran, and Elite.  What was the rationale for combining Veteran and Elite into one preset?  Why not have 4 presets + Custom instead of 3 + Custom?  Wouldn't having 4 presets ensure even great backwards compatibility, especially for SP?

I play on (old) Veteran 95% of the time (with crosshair disabled), and really liked the differences between Vet and Elite, so eliminating Veteran and replacing it with Elite seems pointless and an unnecessary complication.  I've always seen Veteran as a preset where all helpers are removed by default, enemy AI skill is at EXPERT, but you can still enable/disable crosshairs, some HUD elements, or third-person view if you want.  Elite is where ALL helpers, HUD elements, and 3rd person are gone, period.

I think that the weapon resting indicator should be preserved in all presets*, and perhaps the stamina bar also.  They could always be turned off for Custom. 

* Only because there is no way in game to determine if a weapon is rested (not deployed) other than the indicator. IRL one could tell when the weapon is rested.

Great news, I hope you touch the Auto reporting as well (AFAIK, right now you cannot disable it). Essential for PVP.

Custom preset means that you can finally change every setting, right?

+1 for this, I'd love to disable it even when I'm playing coop.

Hi community! We decided to release second batch of difficulty changes well ahead of the Apex release, in the upcoming 1.58 update. It is still work-in-progress, but you can try it out on the dev branch right now. Check out the details on the Community Wiki.

• Like 1

Commands (command and informational icons displayed in the 3D space - heal, get in, injured in etc.).

Awesome!

I also love the new interface for difficulty options, now we just need some proper explanation in form of tooltips or similar.

• Like 1

Any pictures from the good folks on Dev branch - hard to follow a text-only debate and curious as hell ;)

Any pictures from the good folks on Dev branch - hard to follow a text-only debate and curious as hell ;)

http://imgur.com/a/iuye6

• Like 2

Allright, thanks. So no differentiation between enemy AI and own AI - wasn't that in A2 or am I starting to imagine things ?

-OP

It even was in A3 for a while, but was removed eventually, can't remember the reason, though.

@devs:

Any chance you could add controls for some of the sub skill classes? I'd really like control for the spot distance for example.

• Like 1

It even was in A3 for a while, but was removed eventually, can't remember the reason, though.

U can find more info in this OPREP and this thread (you'll find the reasoning behind the friendly/enemy differentiation removal answered and discussed in there too)

Any chance you could add controls for some of the sub skill classes? I'd really like control for the spot distance for example.

I believe your 3den Enhanced mod does the job perfectly ;) Together with the Eden feature like the mass attributes adjustments it allows for simple tweaking of subskills across factions, squads or layers, groups of units.

• Like 2

U can find more info in this OPREP and this thread (you'll find the reasoning behind the friendly/enemy differentiation removal answered and discussed in there too)

Thanks for the links, gonna refresh my memory.

Edit: It's really cool to see that you haven't forgotten about things you mentioned in a SITREP from 2014. All those things  are now going to be implemented.

I believe your 3den Enhanced mod does the job perfectly ;) Together with the Eden feature like the mass attributes adjustments it allows for simple tweaking of subskills across factions, squads or layers, groups of units.

Fair enough ;)

does setting the ai level mean that, as a host, what i set is the ai level for a server?

Love the new distance feature.

On another note: I noticed that when I  host a session my difficulty settings are not used for that session. That's probably confusing for newer players, at least it was for me. Any chance we could get a checkbox to apply SP difficulty settings also to hosted missions, or even a new tab in the difficulty settings so one can customise the settings ingame via a nice UI instead of opening the server.cfg?

• Like 3

yes, it would be cool, if - as admin - you could use the nice difficulty UI also on dedicated server, when selecting missions with "#missions"...

sometimes you just want to restart/replay a mission with slightly different settings without intricately editing a config file...

Love the new distance feature.

On another note: I noticed that when I  host a session my difficulty settings are not used for that session. That's probably confusing for newer players, at least it was for me. Any chance we could get a checkbox to apply SP difficulty settings also to hosted missions, or even a new tab in the difficulty settings so one can customise the settings ingame via a nice UI instead of opening the server.cfg?

yes, it would be cool, if - as admin - you could use the nice difficulty UI also on dedicated server, when selecting missions with "#missions"...

sometimes you just want to restart/replay a mission with slightly different settings without intricately editing a config file...

These are great ideas!

The new screenshots with explanations look good. Only some of them seem like they are drastically cropped and others could focus a little bit more on the difficulty feature.

Fixed: The difficulty settings was not applied correctly to directly hosted multiplayer games

Could you elaborate that a little bit more? For me, my default difficulty settings are still not applied when I host a server.

Additionally, I thought you wanted to add a difficulty setting which hides all those white icons from the action menu, is that still in the works?

@devs:

A spot distance option is my number one wish. Good suggestion.

Could you elaborate that a little bit more? For me, my default difficulty settings are still not applied when I host a server.

Sure! It's a fix to a bug that was introduced on the 1st of March when the first phase of difficulty overhaul hit the dev branch. Back then, we slightly modified the Create Game screen (Play -> Multiplayer -> New) - we have replaced the list box with difficulty presets by a static text which displays current preset and also added Game options button which can be used to change difficulty as well as individual options.

However, this screen was also using parameter difficultyMP from user's profile (i.e. file username.Arma3Profile in Documents\Arma 3). The changes on dev branch from the 1st of March were supposed to make the parameter obsolete - the application was no longer able to change its value and the parameter was not created in user profiles anymore. However, it had not been removed completely and upon launching the mission, the current difficulty preset was overridden by value of difficultyMP (or by Regular difficulty if the parameter was not found in user profile). This issue is now fixed and difficultyMP is really obsolete. :)

What exactly do you mean by default difficulty settings? Could you describe the issue you encounter a bit more so that we can look into it?

Additionally, I thought you wanted to add a difficulty setting which hides all those white icons from the action menu, is that still in the works?

We are looking into it but cannot promise anything right now - as the icons are intertwined with the action menu, it's a bit more complicated and there are still some possible issues that we must consider.

• Like 2

I am very curious why the option to have teammates white square markers fade away was removed?It seems they can only be on/off or only seen up close in options now. I thought having them fade away was a great feature-and most other hud elements still have the "fade" option.

• Like 1

@TisovcikRasto

Thanks for the thorough explanation.

We are looking into it but cannot promise anything right now - as the icons are intertwined with the action menu, it's a bit more complicated and there are still some possible issues that we must consider.

Thanks for the info.

What exactly do you mean by default difficulty settings? Could you describe the issue you encounter a bit more so that we can look into it?

What I mean is that the difficulty settings which are used in singleplayer are not applied when one is hosting a mission. To me, that would only be logical, since one will most likely want to use the same difficulty settings in a hosted game and in singleplayer.

What I would suggest is a checkbox in the difficulty settings which can be checked to automatically apply those settings when hosting a mission.

• Like 1