muf

Difficulty Overhaul

detectedMines

At the moment this reveals mines to everyone if anyone comes across a mine regardless of their skill set or equipment, which I think this is a poor implementation of this difficulty setting.

For this reason we have it disabled.

I believe a better implementation would be.

Engineer/Explosives expert equipped with a mine detector, detects a mine, IED

The mine is then revealed to all players and AI on that side and a marker showing the location of that mine is then created at that position on the map for that side.

This I believe is a much better and more realistic condition for this difficulty option

You don't need to be a extensively trained EOD professional in a bomb suit with the latest detection gear to say "Maybe don't step on that artillery shell with wires coming out of it in the middle of the road, mmmkay?"  I can see maybe changing the range of knowledge, like if some random grunt finds one he marks it with spray point or something so you only know it's there if you're 50m away or something but if EOD marks it they run it up the chain and all datalinked units get a warning on their BLUFOR trackers about the location (ie, markers on the map and 200m view range of the symbol or something).

You don't need to be a extensively trained EOD professional in a bomb suit with the latest detection gear to say "Maybe don't step on that artillery shell with wires coming out of it in the middle of the road, mmmkay?"  I can see maybe changing the range of knowledge, like if some random grunt finds one he marks it with spray point or something so you only know it's there if you're 50m away or something but if EOD marks it they run it up the chain and all datalinked units get a warning on their BLUFOR trackers about the location (ie, markers on the map and 200m view range of the symbol or something).

1) I was thinking more of a scenario where you couldn't see them such as bouncing betty's in grass

2) its a bit tedious to mark every mine manually every time you come across a mine, so auto marking per side is advantageous for that reason

3) In your scenario, then what is the point of having a mine detector

4) its a bit too gamey and pointless placing mines on the map if all that is required to "find" them is being near them without any detection equipment

Some player not even looking for mines, has the ability to reveal them to everyone else automatically just because the distance between him and the device is "X" meters. Can you really support that system ?

So my idea required an EOD Spec/Engineer equipped correctly (Or maybe any unit equipped with a mine detector) should be the only condition where mines are automatically marked on the map as and when the detector detects them (A Nice "Bleep" from the detector would also be better than some hint or system message).

If a player comes across a mine/eod and does not have detecting equipment but can visually see them, then they can mark them on the map manually.

surely that is a way better implementation and then creates a good role for someone with a mine detector

have you ever tried spotting AP mines in grass, its nigh on impossible........

• Like 1

edit: never mind. Figured it out.

I have the same issue, would you mind sharing your solution?

I think we should have both the ability to define multiple custom classes, and the ability to change custom settings as a logged in admin while the game is running.

When you want to have 2 presets available for a server you will want the multiple classes, and when you want to try out a new option or change something without restarting the server, you will need the manual edit while server is running.

Ultimately, it would be best if those custom configurations could be edited and saved by the logged in server admin (optionally disabled by server config).

• Like 2

I think that mine detection in general needs an overhaul. Metal detectors that I've seen were bulky things, so I think a mine detector should be a much more substantial object. It could take up your "launcher" slot (it could be collapsible, so that you could still carry one in your pack) and need to be equipped to work, with a corresponding way to force your engineer to equip it. It'd have a small display attached (not unlike the Squad Radar, but diegetic) that would, when the detector is turned on, show you all "metal" objects in a certain radius (correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, that's how a modern metal detector actually works). Mines, but also metallic magazines, weapons and other junk, to avoid making things to easy. Once a mine is detected and visually spotted, you can report it, as usual. Ideally, it'd be reported with some actual details instead of a generic "spotted a mine!" shout that doesn't tell you where to look for it. Of course, if you can't see it, well, you'll have to crawl towards the indicated locations, watching the display and the ground, hoping that your next move won't get you blown to kingdom come. :)

Of course, the current behavior should be left in for those who don't want to bother with it. "Automatic mine detection" or something that would only require you to have the detector on your person. 

• Like 2

1.58. I have a dedicated server and my .Arma3Profile looks like this:

class CfgDifficultyPresets{	defaultPreset="Custom";	myArmorCoef=1.5;	groupArmorCoef=1.5;	fadeDistanceStart=40;	fadeDistanceSpan=10;	recoilCoef=1;	visionAidCoef=0.80000001;	divingLimitMultiplier=1;	animSpeedCoef=0;	cancelThreshold=0;	showCadetHints="true";	showCadetWP="true";	class CustomDifficulty	{		displayName="$STR_Difficulty_Custom";		class Options		{			reducedDamage="false";			groupIndicators=0;			friendlyTags=0;			enemyTags=0;			detectedMines=0;			commands=0;			waypoints=0;			weaponInfo=1;			stanceIndicator=1;			staminaBar="true";			weaponCrosshair="false";			visionAid="false";			thirdPersonView="false";			cameraShake="true";			scoreTable="false";			deathMessages="false";			vonID="false";			mapContent="false";			autoReport="false";			multipleSaves="false";		};	};};

But anyway there is no stamina-bar and stance-indicator, when I'm playing.... why???

The autoreport issue seems to have made a comeback.

In short:

We are using the "custom" difficulty with autoreport set to 0. However, player characters are still calling out spotted enemies. All other values work as expected.

• Like 1

Hello,

it seems that the difficulty setting is affecting the icon color in "high command" mode but I've been unable to pinpoint which settings is affecting it.

Instead of having the regular bluefor/opfor/indep/civ color, every icons are light blue like this:

1052516c-81f5-4e97-b83a-3106dfc8ff83.jpg

Can anybody help me ?

Thx !!

Hi there,

just a quick update. We have recently updated the difficulty presets so that the Waypoints flag is now set to Fade out on Regular difficulty and both Waypoints and Commands flags are now hidden on Veteran difficulty. We do believe that is more suitable default setup for given difficulty options. Would you agree ?

Thank you.

• Like 5

The recent change to Regular difficulty preset changing Waypoints visibility to Fade out was reverted. On Regular difficulty waypoints are once again always visible, setting was set back to Show.

Waypoints appearance, mechanics and both official and community content were designed around the presumption waypoints are visible on Regular. Changing that at this point would net more issues than benefits.

• Like 3

The last Bis A3 update? (09/03/21) when using forcedDifficulty Custom,  seems to have removed waypoints, personnel markers, & mission task markers, on our Dedicated A3 Server. all the other "custom" difficulty settings still seem active & working. & if you host on your own PC with same settings  (waypoints=1;) they all show, but  NOT on the Dedicated server ?? any help with this problem would appreciated...

PS also tactical ping, & Commands not showing????

forcedDifficulty Custom on Dedicated servers  problem

After trying a number of different things I believe the problem is that, on a Dedicated server, the game in NOT using the "server.Arma3Profile" in the path  Users\server\server.Arma3Profile, but its using the hard programmed default "Custom" difficulty settings instead. which is supposed to not be defined there?

Not seeing any "Welcome Message" when joining server also???

On 4/13/2021 at 12:37 PM, jgaz-uk said:

forcedDifficulty Custom on Dedicated servers  problem

After trying a number of different things I believe the problem is that, on a Dedicated server, the game in NOT using the "server.Arma3Profile" in the path  Users\server\server.Arma3Profile, but its using the hard programmed default "Custom" difficulty settings instead. which is supposed to not be defined there?

Not seeing any "Welcome Message" when joining server also???

Works fine in my tests.
server.Arma3Profile

class DifficultyPresets
{
	class CustomDifficulty
	{
		class Options
		{
			groupIndicators=0;
			friendlyTags=0;
			enemyTags=0;
			detectedMines=0;
			commands=0;
			waypoints=0;
			weaponInfo=2;
			stanceIndicator=0;
			reducedDamage=0;
			staminaBar=1;
			weaponCrosshair=1;
			visionAid=0;
			thirdPersonView=1;
			cameraShake=1;
			scoreTable=0;
			deathMessages=0;
			vonID=0;
			mapContentFriendly=0;
			mapContentEnemy=0;
			mapContentMines=0;
			autoReport=0;
			multipleSaves=0;
			tacticalPing=0;
		};
		aiLevelPreset=1;
	};
	class CustomAILevel
	{
		skillAI=0.5;
		precisionAI=0.5;
	};
};

Works nicely.

Using this as base https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile#Server_Difficulty_Example

Seems it was our ISP Server problem. which they eventually fixed, all good again Yay!