muf

Difficulty Overhaul

Default is Custom. All presets are equal only weaponInfo is on, everything else is turned off except the shared values like myArmorCoef , groupArmorCoef, which are left on default.

Dont want to kidnap a thread here, so if you have any further questions please use Steam Workshop page from now on.

Ad. forced difficulty - we are now considering a solution that would allow you to force server to use only one specific difficulty, essentially overriding difficulty preset that can currently be selected by connected players. That way, you would simply set options for your custom difficulty (the one that's stored in profile) and tell server to use "Custom" at all times. Would that work for those of you who wish to enforce a particular difficulty on your server(s)?

Just like it was before the overhaul, yes please.

• Like 1

question that relates to difficulty level as an occasional mission maker.

Right now markers have a distance next to them. This is actually rarely a good thing as it means the player has no need to consult their map for more info or to map their route better, and worst of all it gives them instant and exact distance to target. Which makes sniping and longer range shots unnecessarily trivial. in essence it takes any challenge any - which can kill the point of the mission.

is there a way, with the new difficulty overhaul, for a mission maker to remove then range next to markers?

Another question, does reducedDamage determinates if egine will use myArmorCoef and groupArmorCoef values. if true will it uses 1.5 default value and if false 1.0 value ?

Ad. forced difficulty - we are now considering a solution that would allow you to force server to use only one specific difficulty, essentially overriding difficulty preset that can currently be selected by connected players. That way, you would simply set options for your custom difficulty (the one that's stored in profile) and tell server to use "Custom" at all times. Would that work for those of you who wish to enforce a particular difficulty on your server(s)?

Has this been implemented? I see that the hotfix is out but it doesn't say anything about this, and when I just tried, the server automatically goes to the difficulty settings of the admin, which doesn't make the slightest bit of sense since it basically forces the admin to use the same difficulty as the server, even for single player.

Is this by design? Did you really design it so that an individual setting of a player that logs in as admin is used as a setting for the server?  Or is this a bug? Really, I do not understand this.

Having a global setting for the server that says "this sever uses these difficulty settings" is urgently required.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that by "using the admins settings" I mean the general difficulty class (Regular, Custom), not what he has in terms of custom settings. The problem remains the same, though - a client (that happens to be logged in as an admin) settings are used for the server.

• Like 6

Has this been implemented? I see that the hotfix is out but it doesn't say anything about this, and when I just tried, the server automatically goes to the difficulty settings of the admin, which doesn't make the slightest bit of sense since it basically forces the admin to use the same difficulty as the server, even for single player.

Is this by design? Did you really design it so that an individual setting of a player that logs in as admin is used as a setting for the server?  Or is this a bug? Really, I do not understand this.

Having a global setting for the server that says "this sever uses these difficulty settings" is urgently required.

Yes. This is what we need. BIS. you can't leave us without the ability to set dedicated servers with THEIR OWN customized difficulty settings. It just makes no sense. 

• Like 2

This indeed does not make any sense AT ALL.

You basically open up the door for most servers that have the ability to vote for an admin to wreak havok on the server. Everyone can set the difficulty to whatever they want.

Why not simply make the server ALWAYS use custom setting. From your own poll you saw that an overwhelming number of people (i.e. nearly everyone) used modified settings, anyway, so I don't understand how the difficulty update was a good idea in the first place. For servers, this is definitely completely worthless.

Please, just make the server always use custom and have the server owner/administrator decide what difficulty is played on the server.

And most of all, do not enforce the difficulty the current admin has set for his own single player games onto the server whenever someone enters #missions. This is ridiculous, and I wonder how honestly thought that this was a good idea to begin with. How can you design something in that way ? It's totally beyond me

• Like 3

If this really is the way it was designed and not a bug I'm just speechless. It just seems totally ludicrous too me. Who in the world thought this would be a good design???

• Like 1

Have to add my voice here.... The server difficulty setting should be configurable via the config and remain constant independent of individual player settings.

Unless the admin specifically changes them in the mission lobby. Only sensible way to do it

If this really is the way it was designed and not a bug I'm just speechless. It just seems totally ludicrous too me. Who in the world thought this would be a good design???

Yes, it's completely intransparent and inconsistent.

The server's difficulty is reflected by the difficulty preset the admin choses, i.e. Easy, Normal, Hard, Custom. However, if choosing Custom, his custom settings are NOT used but rather those defined in the server. Meaning, if my custom setting on my client enables third person view but the server's profile doesn't, then you will not have third person view on the server. In other word, only part of the settings are transferred, and it doesn't really tell you which ones.

If there has been confusion about this, then it is because confusion is part of the design.

To re-iterate, and I just verified this on our server:

• The admin's preset is used for the server, i.e. Regular, Custom or whatever the admin sets
  • The individual settings are NOT used on the server.

I really think the server should be using either a per-mission setting (when you have a rotation defined) or use the diffiuclty="xxx" set in the server's profile. Using the admin's personal preset is confusing and nonsensical. If you want a UI element, it should be a separate one.

• Like 3

The server difficulty setting should be configurable via the config and remain constant independent of individual player settings.

up! up! up!!!

• Like 1

Have to add my voice here.... The server difficulty setting should be configurable via the config and remain constant independent of individual player settings.

Unless the admin specifically changes them in the mission lobby. Only sensible way to do it

It should be possible to define it in the preset/server profile so you don't have to specify it each time you run a mission for your team that plays with the same settings every time. Simplier.

It should be possible to define it in the preset/server profile so you don't have to specify it each time you run a mission for your team who plays with the same settings everytime. Simplier.

Yes, but if the admin's preset is going to switch the server. If the server is configured for Custom difficulty but the admin uses Regular, the server will switch to regular.

and if you select Custom, the client Custom config will be used, NOT the server Custom config... lol

the only way i found to make the server work as I expected was by using jastreb mod AND arma3profile custom setting, changing all the settings inside the mod with all the same values, so despite of the difficulty selected by server or client, the values will be always the same, no matter what shows in the lower left corner when you press (esc).

• Like 1

Yes, but if the admin's preset is going to switch the server. If the server is configured for Custom difficulty but the admin uses Regular, the server will switch to regular.

Have you actually tested this? Because config default is Regular, so Im thinking it defaults to regular ignoring server.arma3profile now. More likely but I might be wrong.

Proposed fix is to force server to read server.arma3profile and to implement back default=Value; or add new defaultForced=Value; which would effectively grayout game options or difficutly options in mission selection/setup screen, and make it display in read only fashion the current server forced values, with no ability to change it, or ad as option for only logged in admin to be able to overide it, but not the voted one.

This is the cleanest fix as it can get, since config doesnt have to be touched, no modding required to achieve what you want, and players have the freedom to do whatever they want to, on their own machines. On my own server Im setting the rules.

Optionally a mission description.ext value wouldnt hurt, to allow mission makers to make the call how is mission played.

Hierarchy going like this:

Game config first,

Voted admin or logged in admin second,

Mission description.ext value third,

server.arma3profile fourth and the top value which overides them all.

At very least should be restored as it was before the overhaul in the server profile part.

Have you actually tested this? Because config default is Regular, so Im thinking it defaults to regular ignoring server.arma3profile now. More likely but I might be wrong.

I have a server side mod that sets the default difficulty to Custom, it still switched to Regular.

My preferred solution would be to have a way to force the server to Custom or another specific difficulty setting, as it is now it doesn't really make a lot of sense

and if you select Custom, the client Custom config will be used, NOT the server Custom config... lol

Actually, no. It does use the server Custom settings, not the clients. It's even inconsistent with that. If your client's config for example has third person enabled, and the server doesn't, you will not get third person. It only takes the profile setting (easy, regular, veteran, custom), but NOT your settings.

Principle of applied confusion.

• Like 1

well...when i tested it, that was the behaviour.

arma3profile custom values in server:

3rd person view enabled.

when i entered as admin and changed mission, if i select custom difficulty in the new (not grayed out because i was admin) select menu, the 3rd person view was disabled, that's why i said the config of the client connected was used.

the only way i found to fix that, was by adding the difficulty mod in server and edit the values of default Cfg custom config to enable de 3rd person view despite of the difficulty selected.

OK, just had three missions in a row on a dedicated server as an admin with no problem in custom difficulty. After three missions that were completed automatically (success or fail by trigger), I had to use #missions. The next mission was with Regular difficulty... The Difficulty option was grayed out. I selected another mission, and in the slots screen I used #missions again, and now I am able to set the difficulty (not grayed out).

Conclusion: the #missions problem was NOT fixed in the hotfix.

My Feedback on the Difficulty settings update.

No.1 and the biggest of them all

The Priority overwrite should be

1. Mission design
  2. Server setting
  3. Player setting.

In an MP environment, the player should not be able to counter/overwrite any setting set by the server difficulty setting

The server setting or Player setting should not be able to overwrite the Mission settings.

To that extent, the Players difficulty menu should be fully disabled in an MP environment.

(I was getting confused when logged in as admin, as to whether the settings I was adjusting were for my client or for the server)

At the very very least there should be a serverside setting in these params that does not allow overide by the client

No.2

The serverside configuration should allow the ability to set a condition but hide that option from the options menu

So for example, lets say as a server admin, the only option I want a Game Admin (Somebody logged into the A3 server as admin) to be able to adjust is 3rd person

Then I should be able to define what option value I want to define on the server and what options I want an admin to be able to select.

So for my particular example above, something like the following

Take note that the AI preset has also been omitted from an option to be changed by a Logged In Game admin

(Admins would play about with this setting and can completely screw up a mission for a server community that is used to having a certain value always run for this

class DifficultyPresets

{

class CustomDifficulty

{
        class Presets

{

groupIndicators=0;

friendlyTags=0;

enemyTags=0;

detectedMines=0;

commands=1;

waypoints=1;

weaponInfo=2;

stanceIndicator=2;

reducedDamage=0;

staminaBar=0;

weaponCrosshair=0;

visionAid=0;

thirdPersonView=1;

cameraShake=1;

scoreTable=1;

deathMessages=1;

vonID=1;

mapContent=0;

autoReport=0;

multipleSaves=0;

};

class Options

{

thirdPersonView=0;

};

aiLevelPreset=3;

};

class CustomAILevel

{
         class presets
         {

skillAI=0.7;

precisionAI=0.7;
          };
         class options
         {

};
    };

};

};

• Like 3

Anyway to use old difficult system?

Don't understand why BI change this ... never see any people angry with old system ... but see many of them not really happy to see new system ...

Added: A new forcedDifficulty server.cfg parameter

Any documentation on how to use it would be awesome, so we don't have to reverse-engineer it and create urban myths in the process. Does it use the server profile for preset definitions?

Not saying it has to be done NOW, just eventually is fine. :)

Thanks for adding that.

forcedDifficulty will be global setting in server.cfg , when defined it will apply to all missions

yet, if mission has difficulty defined in missionCycle, then that will override the forced one

note: not MP compatible with previous main branch stable binaries so can't be merged to profiling branch performance binaries

• Like 1

Forced difficulty

Today we introduce new difficulty related feature to the dev branch - a new server config parameter forcedDifficulty that allows admins to force a particular difficulty preset for all missions that are (and will be) played on the server.

To force a particular difficulty preset on your server, simply add the following line to your server.cfg file and set the preset to your liking:

forcedDifficulty="Veteran";

As you can see, the value that's given to the parameter is name of the difficulty preset (to be more precise, it's the name of a difficulty class from CfgDifficultyPresets), i.e. Recruit, Regular, Veteran or Custom.

If a server uses forcedDifficulty parameter, there is no way for any player to override (e.g. by voting) this preset. Admins who log in using the #login command cannot override forced difficulty either.

UI changes

Along with the new parameter, we have also made a few changes in the user interface.

First of all, we removed the Game Options button from the remote mission selection screen (Create Game) and reintroduced the list box with difficulty presets. This change only affects mission selection screen on dedicated server - when hosting a MP game without using DS, the Game Options is still present for the player who hosts the game on their machine.

If the forcedDifficulty parameter is used, all clients that connect to the server are informed of it and the UI on the client's side is slightly modified to avoid confusion. As you can see on the screenshots below, the list box which allows you to choose/vote for difficulty preset is disabled and replaced by name of the preset that is forced by the server. The same applies to the voting screen where text "Most wanted difficulty:" is replaced by "Forced difficulty:"

http://imgur.com/a/22sci/

Additional details

The forcedDifficulty parameter should find its use mostly on dedicated servers without mission cycle (as the mission cycle allows admins to specify difficulty for individual missions). However, the parameter can be used on servers with mission cycle as well. If defined, it sets a "base" difficulty for all missions in the cycle. This "base" difficulty can then be overridden for selected individual missions by specifying the difficulty for a mission. This is the only situation in which forcedDifficulty can be overridden by other setting.

In the example mission cycle below, difficulty in missions 2 and 4 is set to Veteran (thanks to the forcedDifficulty parameter) while in missions 1 and 3 it's set to Custom and Recruit, respectively.

forcedDifficulty = "Veteran";

class Missions
{
  class Mission01
  {
    template = "MP_COOP_m01.Stratis";
    difficulty = "Custom";
  };

class Mission02
  {
    template = "MP_COOP_m01.Stratis";
  };