muf

Difficulty Overhaul

Just took a look at the new difficulty options.  I like the cleanliness of the new menu and the customization options. 

Just some feedback below:

• Stamina indicator should be on a fade-out/hide/show system as well.  Default for veteran should be fade-out and for everything else it should be show. This information is something that you are completely lacking awareness of in the game so to have it be hidden on any difficulty does not make sense IMO.
  • Some sort of description for each setting would be helpful.  Most I think are self explanatory but there are some which are not easy to understand which could benefit from this.  Having this consistency would also be good for newcomers to the Arma series.
  • Like 1

I really wish there was an option to select our difficultly in the normal menu and transfer the option to our server if we host it locally. And also in the meantime some kind of guide for how to do this manually because I'm using TADST and have no clue what to do.

Okay, that happend:

All Difficulty Settings made in the A3profile.

Settings in the server.cfg:

class Missions
{
    class Mission_1
    {
        template = "MyMission.MyIsland";
        difficulty = "Custom";
    };
};

------------------

1st Server:

I had to go use #missions and change the Difficulty to "Custom"

------------------

2nd and 3rd Server:

I just had to change it in the server.cfg

------------------

All changes, that i made in the "Difficulty Menu" were beeing ignored. It only took the Settings from the CustomDifficulty Profile.

I am 100% confused now.

Custom difficulty worked on my server. However, killfeed is turned off. Which setting controls the on and off of killfeed?

Update: Never mind. It is related to mission codes.

Sent from my L50t using Tapatalk

Some sort of description for each setting would be helpful.  Most I think are self explanatory but there are some which are not easy to understand which could benefit from this.  Having this consistency would also be good for newcomers to the Arma series.

That's already on dev branch and I have no clue why it didn't make it into 1.58.

You can add your own difficulty presets to CfgDifficultyPresets and then use them in the missions cycle in server config. Avoid using the name Custom for your classes, since this is a reserved one. Loading of own custom classes from the profile doesn't work anymore.

Could you provide an example of the second difficulty preset in CfgDifficultyPresets? It's not working for me :(

This new stuff requires some tactical wiki documentation guys :) its not in dev build anymore and has half the server admins of arma searching the forums for info (the other half dont even know their difficulty presets arent working anymore). External documentation can stand in for UI tooltips for now.

There is a pretty serious flaw too. As a server admin, if you use #missions once a mission has been loaded, the difficulty gets reset to Regular and the ability to change it is disabled. Server has to be rebooted to change difficulty.

if the difficulty tab is grey (unusable), just go back into the MP lobby and use the #missions command again - this will let you access the difficulty tab without a sever restart.

This still helps me none as the darn system is broken....lol.  Has anyone managed to get this working.  All I want is the option for 3rd person with no crosshairs etc :)

I will add to this that if you were already in a mission when you type #missions, it will be stuck on Regular difficulty and the Difficulty tab will be disabled until the next server reboot. I have discovered a workaround - select a mission and go to the slotting screen, then do #missions again and go back to the Game Options to see the Difficulty tab is unlocked again.

Unfortunately this is unintentional behavior - the Difficulty button in Game Options dialogue should be enabled when not in the mission. Sorry for the inconvenience, we're working on the fix.

Hello,

my Linux Server Irgnoered all my Changes. I have do

- a new server.Arma3Proifle

- i have the custom difficulty createt and in the server.cfg maked.

// MISSIONS CYCLE
class Missions {
class ARMA3 {
template = "Altis_Deployment.Altis";
difficulty = "Custom";

and this here its form my server.arma3profil

class Custom
    {
        displayName ="$STR_Difficulty_Custom";
        optionDescription ="$STR_Difficulty_Custom_desc";
        optionPicture ="\A3\Ui_f\data\Logos\arma3_white_ca.paa";
        class Options
        {
            reducedDamage =0;
            groupIndicators =0;
            friendlyTags =0;
            enemyTags =0;
            detectedMines =0;    
            commands =0;
            waypoints =1;
            weaponInfo =1;
            stanceIndicator =0;        
            staminaBar =0;
            weaponCrosshair =0;
            visionAid =0;
            thirdPersonView =1;
            cameraShake =0;
            scoreTable =1;
            deathMessages =0;
            vonID =0;
            mapContent =1;
            autoReport =1;
            multipleSaves =0;

All this Changes ignoiered my server. But he say we played on Custom.

and after server start say the console. ->  Warning Message: 'server.cfg/Missions/ARMA3/' -> no idea what he want.

Is there anyway to force a certain difficulty on the server so even admins can't change it before the mission?

Found a solution.

I made a server side pbo that overwrites current difficulty settings.

And apparently server sends not only the difficulty name but the whole set of settings to clients anyway.

Config is here if someone wants to take a look.

https://gist.github.com/rebelvg/9035b58265a9303f9837a8e974a059c7

From my experiences today, "class Custom" as it is in the wiki documentation does not work but "class CustomDifficulty" does (and behaves as "class Custom" should). Example below...

.Arma3Profile

class DifficultyPresets
{
	class CustomDifficulty
	{
		class Options
		{
			groupIndicators=0;
			friendlyTags=0;
			enemyTags=0;
			detectedMines=0;
			commands=0;
			waypoints=2;
			weaponInfo=1;
			stanceIndicator=1;
			reducedDamage=0;
			staminaBar=0;
			weaponCrosshair=0;
			visionAid=0;
			thirdPersonView=1;
			cameraShake=1;
			scoreTable=1;
			deathMessages=1;
			vonID=1;
			mapContent=0;
			autoReport=0;
			multipleSaves=0;
		};
		aiLevelPreset=3;
	};
	class CustomAILevel
	{
		skillAI=0.60000002;
		precisionAI=0.30000001;
	};
};

and this in your server.cfg

class Missions
{
	class MyMission
	{
		template = "A_Mission.Stratis";
		difficulty = "Custom";
	};
};

From my experiences today, "class Custom" as it is in the wiki documentation does not work but "class CustomDifficulty" does (and behaves as "class Custom" should). Example below...

.Arma3Profile

class DifficultyPresets
{
	class CustomDifficulty
	{
		class Options
		{
			groupIndicators=0;
			friendlyTags=0;
			enemyTags=0;
			detectedMines=0;
			commands=0;
			waypoints=2;
			weaponInfo=1;
			stanceIndicator=1;
			reducedDamage=0;
			staminaBar=0;
			weaponCrosshair=0;
			visionAid=0;
			thirdPersonView=1;
			cameraShake=1;
			scoreTable=1;
			deathMessages=1;
			vonID=1;
			mapContent=0;
			autoReport=0;
			multipleSaves=0;
		};
		aiLevelPreset=3;
	};
	class CustomAILevel
	{
		skillAI=0.60000002;
		precisionAI=0.30000001;
	};
};

and this in your server.cfg

class Missions
{
	class MyMission
	{
		template = "A_Mission.Stratis";
		difficulty = "Custom";
	};
};

some of those are wrong and should be true/false instead of 1/0

A lot of people (including me) seem to have issues with this. This is mostly due to the conflicting/bad documentation on the wiki.

1. The values and classnames on this page are wrong. There are no false/true flags and the class names are possibly wrong.

2. The classnames on this page are possibly wrong. The main class name is apparently wrong and possibly the class name for the custom difficulty as well.

Here is our server .Arma3Profile which applies the custom values correctly in mission. Notice the the first two class names. I am not 100% sure if the class name for custom needs to be "customDifficulty" but the main class definitely needs to be DifficultyPresets not cfgDifficultyPresets.

version=2;
blood=1;
singleVoice=0;
gamma=1;
brightness=1;
sceneComplexity=1000000;
shadowZDistance=100;
viewDistance=3800;
preferredObjectViewDistance=3200;
terrainGrid=3.125;
volumeVoN=10;
maxSamplesPlayed=96;
vonRecThreshold=0.029999999;

class DifficultyPresets
{
    defaultPreset = "Custom";

// Parameters that affect difficulty and which are shared among presets
    myArmorCoef = 1.5;
    groupArmorCoef = 1.5;

//Parameters that affect the Limited distance choice for Group Indicators, Friendly Name Tags, Enemy Name Tags and Detected Mines.
    //They determine on which distance the indicators are fully visible and how many more meters it takes until the indicator fades-out completely.
    fadeDistanceStart = 40.0;
    fadeDistanceSpan = 10.0;

recoilCoef = 1;
    visionAidCoef = 0.8;
    divingLimitMultiplier = 1.0;        //Multiplier to limit capacity of lungs for soldiers.

animSpeedCoef = 0;
    cancelThreshold = 0;            //Threshold used for interrupting action.
    showCadetHints = 0;
    showCadetWP = 0;

//There is conflicting information whether the class name needs to be "custom" or "customdifficulty"

class CustomDifficulty
	{
		class Options
		{
			groupIndicators=0;
			friendlyTags=0;
			enemyTags=0;
			detectedMines=0;
			commands=0;
			waypoints=1;
			weaponInfo=2;
			stanceIndicator=1;
			reducedDamage=0;
			staminaBar=1;
			weaponCrosshair=0;
			visionAid=1;
			thirdPersonView=0;
			cameraShake=1;
			scoreTable=0;
			deathMessages=0;
			vonID=1;
			mapContent=0;
			autoReport=0;
			multipleSaves=0;
		};
	aiLevelPreset=3;
	};

class CustomAILevel
	{
		skillAI=0.85000002;
		precisionAI=0.15000001;
	};
};

I put the class preset under the xxxxx.arma3profile file right?

and the custom under the server config which I did,

crosshair is gone, i don't know if all the other settings are changed but the third person which i am trying to make work, is still not working, ugh :L

The code I posted is the full content of our server config file, which is the .arma3profile file.

A lot of people (including me) seem to have issues with this. This is mostly due to the conflicting/bad documentation on the wiki.

1. The values and classnames on this page are wrong. There are no false/true flags and the class names are possibly wrong.

2. The classnames on this page are possibly wrong. The main class name is apparently wrong and possibly the class name for the custom difficulty as well.

Here is our server config which applies the custom values correctly in mission. Notice the the first two class names. I am not 100% sure if the class name for custom needs to be "customDifficulty" but the main class definitely needs to be DifficultyPresets not cfgDifficultyPresets.

version=2;
blood=1;
singleVoice=0;
gamma=1;
brightness=1;
sceneComplexity=1000000;
shadowZDistance=100;
viewDistance=3800;
preferredObjectViewDistance=3200;
terrainGrid=3.125;
volumeVoN=10;
maxSamplesPlayed=96;
vonRecThreshold=0.029999999;

class DifficultyPresets
{
    defaultPreset = "Custom";

// Parameters that affect difficulty and which are shared among presets
    myArmorCoef = 1.5;
    groupArmorCoef = 1.5;

//Parameters that affect the Limited distance choice for Group Indicators, Friendly Name Tags, Enemy Name Tags and Detected Mines.
    //They determine on which distance the indicators are fully visible and how many more meters it takes until the indicator fades-out completely.
    fadeDistanceStart = 40.0;
    fadeDistanceSpan = 10.0;

recoilCoef = 1;
    visionAidCoef = 0.8;
    divingLimitMultiplier = 1.0;        //Multiplier to limit capacity of lungs for soldiers.

animSpeedCoef = 0;
    cancelThreshold = 0;            //Threshold used for interrupting action.
    showCadetHints = 0;
    showCadetWP = 0;

//There is conflicting information whether the class name needs to be "custom" or "customdifficulty"

class CustomDifficulty
	{
		class Options
		{
			groupIndicators=0;
			friendlyTags=0;
			enemyTags=0;
			detectedMines=0;
			commands=0;
			waypoints=1;
			weaponInfo=2;
			stanceIndicator=1;
			reducedDamage=0;
			staminaBar=1;
			weaponCrosshair=0;
			visionAid=1;
			thirdPersonView=0;
			cameraShake=1;
			scoreTable=0;
			deathMessages=0;
			vonID=1;
			mapContent=0;
			autoReport=0;
			multipleSaves=0;
		};
	aiLevelPreset=3;
	};

class CustomAILevel
	{
		skillAI=0.85000002;
		precisionAI=0.15000001;
	};
};

I had the same problems trying to set our custom settings...but after your post I've solved.

I followed your suggest "I am not 100% sure if the class name for custom needs to be "customDifficulty" but the main class definitely needs to be DifficultyPresets not cfgDifficultyPresets." (actually I've changed also the class name of custom in "customDIfficulty") and now it's working as expected.

Thank you very much.

Please BI...if these suggestions are right, as it seems, please modifiy documentation because it's not so clear...

Thanks in advance

some of those are wrong and should be true/false instead of 1/0

It's working perfectly for me with 0/1.

To make things a bit clear - the Arma 3 Difficulty Menu page mentions config classes, not content of the profile. Will try to emphasize it on the page to prevent further confusion. The mentioned classes/parameters are correct and valid for the config.

Information mentioned on the server.armaprofile page in part Arma 3 are not valid for the profile. Somebody copy-pasted the config classes there, that won't work with in the profile. Will update the page.

To make things a bit clear - the Arma 3 Difficulty Menu page mentions config classes, not content of the profile. Will try to emphasize it on the page to prevent further confusion. The mentioned classes/parameters are correct and valid for the config.

Information mentioned in the server.armaprofile page in part Arma 3 are not valid for the profile. Somebody copy-pasted the config classes there, that won't work with in the profile. Will update the page.

Wich "config"?

Wich "config"?

The config placed in game's data, that contains CfgDifficultyPresets class. It's placed in data_f.pbo

• Like 1

Information mentioned on the server.armaprofile page in part Arma 3 are not valid for the profile. Somebody copy-pasted the config classes there, that won't work with in the profile. Will update the page.

Thanks for the quick update. One question: Is aiLevelPreset counted from 0 or 1? So would aiLevelPreset=2; refer to Elite or Custom?

In my local file it writes =3; for custom AI skill so I'd assume the latter. Maybe add a clarifing comment into the sample code?

Thanks for the quick update. One question: Is aiLevelPreset counted from 0 or 1? So would aiLevelPreset=2; refer to Elite or Custom?

In my local file it writes =3; for custom AI skill so I'd assume the latter. Maybe add a clarifing comment into the sample code?

Good point:) aiLevelPreset is counted from 0 and can have following values:

• 0 - AI Level Low
  • 1 - AI Level Normal
  • 2 - AI Level High
  • 3 - AI Level Custom (Values of skill and precision are stored to the profile to the class CustomAILevel under class DifficultyPresets).

Will add it to the documentation.