fakematty

Porting arma 2 maps issue

I'm not sure of the exact reason, but I know that this map has always caused problems when porting is attempted. A  shame too, as it reminds me of home :)

Hi,

It's caused by the TerrainSynth parameter. in Arma 2 if I remember correctly, it created a kind of random heightmap outside the map to prevent an ugly flat map outside your terrain but in Arma 3 this is not supported anymore (it result to your picture and can cause crashs)...

So to fix that go in the config.cpp of the map and in the OutsideTerrain class, edit the following parameter : enableTerrainSynth = 1; to enableTerrainSynth = 0; to disable this functionality  ^_^

So your OutsideTerrain class should look like this: (or you can delete this to use the default CAWorld parameter or you can also create your own world class if you want some custom advanced parameters.)

class OutsideTerrain
{
	satellite = "A3\map_Altis\data\s_satout_co.paa";
	enableTerrainSynth = 0;
        class Layers 
        {
	        class Layer0
	        {
	               nopx = "A3\Map_Data\gdt_wild_grass_nopx.paa";
		       texture = "A3\Map_Data\gdt_wild_grass_co.paa";
	        };
        };
colorOutside[] = {0.227451,0.27451,0.384314,1};
};
  • Like 1

Hi,

It's caused by the TerrainSynth parameter. in Arma 2 if I remember correctly, it created a kind of random heightmap outside the map to prevent an ugly flat map outside your terrain but in Arma 3 this is not supported anymore (it result to your picture and can cause crashs)...

So to fix that go in the config.cpp of the map and in the OutsideTerrain class, edit the following parameter : enableTerrainSynth = 1; to enableTerrainSynth = 0; to disable this functionality  ^_^

So your OutsideTerrain class should look like this: (or you can delete this to use the default CAWorld parameter or you can also create your own world class if you want some custom advanced parameters.)

class OutsideTerrain
{
	satellite = "A3\map_Altis\data\s_satout_co.paa";
	enableTerrainSynth = 0;
        class Layers 
        {
	        class Layer0
	        {
	               nopx = "A3\Map_Data\gdt_wild_grass_nopx.paa";
		       texture = "A3\Map_Data\gdt_wild_grass_co.paa";
	        };
        };
colorOutside[] = {0.227451,0.27451,0.384314,1};
};

Great to see this might fix the issue-i have wanted this map in A3 for a long time. is this how the AiA and CUP guys fixed the issue when porting Chernarus and Takistan?

I have been trying to port an arma 2 map http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16435, I have been getting a weird issue on the edge of the map. does anyone have any ideas what may be causing it and how to fix it ?

Sorry to ask, but do you have permission from Bushlurker to port the map?

Sorry to ask, but do you have permission from Bushlurker to port the map?

I was thinking the same thing, he's still active on here as well so not like he can't ask...

Great to see this might fix the issue-i have wanted this map in A3 for a long time. is this how the AiA and CUP guys fixed the issue when porting Chernarus and Takistan?

Well, it's the only way as far as I know so they probably fix it like that, the best way to answer to this is to take a look in the Config.cpp of Takistan or Chernarus versions included with CUP/AIA/A3MP but I'm at work ATM so... I'll take a look once at home  ;)

Indeed, they set enableTerrainSynth to 0 (disable) if you want to take a look : "cup_terrains_worlds\CUP\Terrains\cup_terrains_worlds\DisableInfiniteTerrain\Config.cpp" ( or http://pastebin.com/BpKsD6fR)  ;) 

TerrainSynth on Arma 3 its working, Bis fixed it a few monts ago....

WLRPdtfl.jpg

porting a A2 map from our menthor and master without ask him :angry:

TerrainSynth on Arma 3 its working, Bis fixed it a few monts ago....

Hmm... Just tried and that didn't work on my side, that's create huge glitches on the screen, ugly hills & crash the game (since 2013â„¢).

i tried it on two terrains, without problems if you see the picture on the other post.

BIS fixed it last year with the famous tartan bug (or tried to fix ;) ) but created another Bug the "bottomline bug". :(

Hi guys...

Yes - BI did indeed "semi-fix" the Outside Terrain tech, though since CUP reputedly switches that off anyway then it shouldn't matter, since you'll need AiA, or MUCH better still, CUP in order to run these old Arma 2 terrains...

I've tried the standard A2 Carraigdubh in A3 with CUP and it seems to work fine for me with no errors

Carraig_OT_CUP_small_zpsmoglacyz.jpg

Not sure what combination of "BI Semi-Fixed Outside terrain" and "CUP switching it off" is going on there - the Outside terrain starts just where that road ends and as you can see, seems to be a series of widely spaced low ridges with pretty flat areas in between, rather than the nice gently rolling hills we got in Arma 2... However - it's working - glitch free for me...

Of MUCH more importance is the fact that there's a small pond up at the top left quadrant of the map - this WILL cause issues and would need to be disabled/removed or there's going to be visual glitches - or worse - over in that quadrant...

(Actually, I thought CUP "removed" pond objects too???)

Anyhow - until such times as I can - finally - get around to providing a proper Arma 3 version of this terrain, everyone has my Full Permission to mess with Outside terrain, Ponds or any other tweaks you find necessary to get this terrain working for your personal/team/group/clan use in Arma 3 - glad to see people still keen to have fun on what's really a pretty sparse little map... (it's the hedges, isn't it...? ;)

Have fun!

B

• Like 1