bezzer

Why was ARMA 3 set in the future?

Don't count on it being that simple, even if the filer shouldn't (or would lose if the developer/publisher chose to fight it in court). Heck, the HK416 name was due to H&K getting sued by Colt for originally naming it the HKM4.

Yeah I remember the IL-2 legal troubles with Grumman  :(

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=357349&postcount=9

• Like 1

I like the futuristic theme. I think it adds some variety to the ArmA series.

With mods everyone can get what they want.

RHS Escalation for more modern gameplay, and Operation Trebuchet for halo fans. Iron Front and Unsung Vietnam War mod for historical fans. ArmA is not just a game it is a platform for a community of modders and mod consumers. Some of the best ArmA content can be found in mods. While ArmA is a good game, in my opinion, the ability to have mods greatly improves it.

The source for what mdcclxxvi described would be several interviews, including one with Arma 3's producer and former project lead, and before that a years-ago one with the CEO and other Bohemia personnel that elaborated:

At least there you know where the Greek island thing came from. ;) Although the interesting version about this one is that it sounds like it wasn't meant to be a first-person game at all at first, i.e. possibly more in the vein of Arma Tactics...?

Take zeus and add resource gathering + a way of building and destroying bases on a rated way and you got yourself the next gen command and conquer already...

Hi guys,

A friend and I have been talking about this quite a bit recently. The only criticism he had about the game was the setting. He felt it was a weird choice to set it slightly in the future he felt it was unnecessary and led to some weird weapons and vehicles. To an extent I agree with him BUT I don't mind It as much. We came to the conclusion that we hope the next one is set in the present day as technology and weapons seem to have come a long way since the arma 2 days and we would enjoy it more. Thays just our opinion. My actual question is what was the developers’ reason for the semi futuristic setting? Do we know anything at all about the future of arma? (Next game etc.)

Thanks.

Near future isnt "future" in a SCI-FI way.

Arma 3 is based in a near future premise and all the research development is based and designed in that way.

To me is a great idea to move the game in the right direction - Arma 2 OA has a big shadow -.

BIS instead living in the "Nostalgia" make a great game to present and future generations.