Sign in to follow this  
Repetence

Arma 3 2DEditor and you! Please leave feedback!

@weaponsfree: So far the warning in the 2D Editor has been that it'll be deprecated when Apex (both update and DLC) release.

@weaponsfree: So far the warning in the 2D Editor has been that it'll be deprecated when Apex (both update and DLC) release.

Ah, right.

Well BIS should organize a 2D editor wake. Maybe a forum post where people can leave some experiences from the last 10 years of 2D editing.

Or maybe I'm being overly emotional over an in-game editor :P

The only thing I have used the 2D editor for is to fix a mission so that I could load it into the 3D editor, and that could have been done with Notepad++. But since the dev build release of the EDEN editor, I have not used the 2D editor at all. EDEN is the way forward. Placing buildings and small items correctly in place is so much easier than with the 2D editor. Or even the old hidden 3D editor that I assume was removed. And I do not need to actually test the mission as often. But I have a question. If I use the loadout editor to create a custom loadout for a unit such as a civilian, will this persist during a respawn?

Thanks.

However I find it to be a bit clunky in some respects, specifically in orienting units using the shift key. Was a piece of cake in the 2D editor, but it seems to take some kind of precision in 3den. I'm a bit sad in losing the 2D editor, but I understand that it's not efficient to keep. I just hope we get a clear warning when an update will officially cut it. I want to make a last 2D mission for old times sake.

Just press M in Eden and you can do all the 2D stuff there in more or less the same way.

I think you should make your "last 2D mission" on the map ONLY, in Eden after going through the automated 1min "Whats different" tutorial in the upper right corner of Eden. Which basically says: Empty units, hold alt while placing a AI unit. Sync lines, right click object and choose connect and I think something about sync to map markers not working, but I have never used that so...

2D to 3D import error seems to be linked to 2D editor sync lines.

Just remove them in the 2D editor and save or save as and then import it from Eden again and reconnect the sync lines via the new method.

Do this and I think most will start to switch mentally.

Because at times you will actually press m again to see the full 3D and just swap things and then back to 2D map until you actually start to "get it". (Just remember to turn off "automated save" in the Eden Settings tab.)

Just press M in Eden and you can do all the 2D stuff there in more or less the same way.

I think you should make your "last 2D mission" on the map ONLY, in Eden after going through the automated 1min "Whats different" tutorial in the upper right corner of Eden. Which basically says: Empty units, hold alt while placing a AI unit. Sync lines, right click object and choose connect and I think something about sync to map markers not working, but I have never used that so...

2D to 3D import error seems to be linked to 2D editor sync lines.

Just remove them in the 2D editor and save or save as and then import it from Eden again and reconnect the sync lines via the new method.

Do this and I think most will start to switch mentally.

Because at times you will actually press m again to see the full 3D and just swap things and then back to 2D map until you actually start to "get it". (Just remember to turn off "automated save" in the Eden Settings tab.)

Yeah, I'm already making new brain maps for Eden, I switch between the map and 3D using M a lot already. I find each mode has its advantages depending on the action. The shift-click rotation function is the action I've had the most trouble getting right, but it's fine. Most other issues I've been able to resolve with the tutorials.

My desire for a last 2D mission is purely for symbolic reasons. I've been using it since 2001, so it will be nice to have one last go at it before it's removed.

But I have a question. If I use the loadout editor to create a custom loadout for a unit such as a civilian, will this persist during a respawn?

Actually curious about this myself. Do we need a special respawn script to keep the custom kit? Or does it revert to the units base kit like arma vanilla from before? I always felt that respawn system was unfortunate, the vanilla Instant respawn system should just keep the kit the player had when killed.

• Like 1

Tweaked: The 2D editor is now hidden (it can still be accessed by pressing the CTRL+O keys in the Editor Menu, but is considered deprecated and unsupported)

RIP 2D editor :)

Tweaked: The 2D editor is now hidden (it can still be accessed by pressing the CTRL+O keys in the Editor Menu, but is considered deprecated and unsupported)

RIP 2D editor :)

Thank goodness it's still there. The 3d editor, even in map mode, is awful.

In your opinion. In mine, the 3D editor is the best thing to happen to mission makers :D