Sign in to follow this  
MarcusJClifford

Resistance patch 1.87 beta

1.87 has improved lag a little.

However,

On 1.87 Directplay we get 49 fps at start and downwards as the game hots up.

On 1.87 Sockets we get 32 fps at start and downwards as the game hots up. 17 frames adrift.

Our server generally runs well with 22 players but now thats down to 12.

Razor

Hi, i am representing Stoners House of Pancakes, in the absence of Stoner.

1.85 Patch gave spurts of desync

Missions not displayed in admins map selection screen

1.86 Patch Resolved the missions issue, but the desync stays the same

1.85 Patch with / without the throttleguarantee=1 command in the flashpoint.cfg file  hasn't changed the desync problem in anyway.

Have tried using different settings throughout the cfg files but to no avail.

On the positive side of things

The server as a whole seems to be more stable, having seen no ghosts created, very few lost connections.

Unfortunately i haven't managed to carry the server up to 1000 connections without a reboot, due to the reduced number of connections of players caused by these latest issues and my changing the cfg settings numerously.

The OFP community seems to have died somewhat over the last week due to this latest patch release.

This type of error kills gaming communities

As for the ammo bug. We haven't seen it triggered to the extent it was in the past, but i have seen a small amount of spillage

Framerate has not deteriorated, remaining the same 46 to 50 fps

Summary, more downsides than positive

Why did u put a bloody bicycle in the game, there are literally hundreds of addons made by some very competent folks out there and some of them are brilliant. Why didn't you use these and spend more time getting the meat of the program right

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Terox @ Oct. 18 2002,23:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why did u put a bloody bicycle in the game<span id='postcolor'>

Probably because it's their patch and they can do with it as they please, don't like don't use smile.gif

wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Terox @ Oct. 19 2002,18wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why did u put a bloody bicycle in the game, there are literally hundreds of addons made by some very competent folks out there and some of them are brilliant. Why didn't you use these and spend more time getting the meat of the program right<span id='postcolor'>

Isn't this the first vehicle/object that allows animation of the player while "in" the vehicle...  It seems to me like this would be a GREAT step forward for the mod making community.  Or have we always been able to animate the character INSIDE the vehicle?

Ive noticed in 1.85 in the mini when driving, you can see the ai's foot move as to press the gas! Really neat smile.gif

Tried 1.87 server patch again for an extended session this evening...this time, as an experiment, I tried to set the ThrottleGuaranteed=value to 5 (in between the value of 1 which was set in 1.75 and 10 set in 1.86)...it really didnt seem to make much difference. There were still intermitant spikes of desync. Processor usage also seems to be higher than in 1.75...maps which previously ran under full load of players at 23+fps now run at 11-15fps (the processor usage starts fairly high and seems to decrease more rapidly than before)...I was unable to take a look at the processor usage in 1.86, but I am considering moving back for tomorrow to have the opportunity to compare the 2. I dont see a whole lot of difference in the lag/desync issues between these 2 patches, but Id lake to take a closer look for myself just to be sure. Ill post anything I find.

Played a bit tonight, it seems the ping in 1.87 has lowered significantly but the dysnc has gone up, many times it got up to 10,000 and everything was frozen around me. Only one game I played when it managed to stay at 0.

Progress Report on 1.87

Mostly the patch seems very good, but there are still spikes, some of which cause everyone to freeze up with the (now enlarged), "No Message For ## Secs" and then disconnect. On one instance this also crashed the Server so bad that it needed the old "Turn power OFF and ON agian" fix, but not quite the Big Sledgehammer Treatment. Sorry for being too Technical. I'll wait to see if this happens again. The server sometimes crashed the "Flashpoint has encountered an error and needs to close"  Screen with 1.75, but never crashed Windows..

Did some tweaks on our server today...and I must say its running 100% better so far...the desync seems to be back to normal...lag spikes dont seem to appear...all in all a night and day difference...now...I dont know exactly waht I did that made the big difference as I did some heavy server maintinance today...however, I did declare a ThrottleGuaranteed=value in Flashpoint.cfg....this may not be the golden key, but it did seem to help...the patch says it is set back to 1 by default, but I simply declared that same value in the .cfg file again just to see what would happen. Give it a shot and see how it goes. Aside from this I did general maintinance like making sure drivers were properly installed, unnecessary services were set to manual, etc etc...good luck!

We will try this setting now. Did you change anything else? As far as OFP:R server configuration goes?

Edit;

Also how many players were playing? Did you experience good performance in the same missions that were previously performing badly?

Up graded my server 1.87, I first delete ofp from the hard drive and did a clean install, no addons added, now everyone that joins the server get the modified config message mad.gif

-There were 14 players

-no other OFP:R config changes were made

-performance seemed better on maps that were previously not running well under 1.87

I would be interested to know what your results are after the change...I hesitate to call this a success until I have tested it a few more times, but I wanted to share this with others to see if it helped them.

Platoon_Leader- this is due to the server having 1.87 and the client having 1.85...everyone will get this message under this beta patch. It doesnt hurt anythgin...no worries.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suchey @ Oct. 20 2002,16:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would be interested to know what your results are after the change...I hesitate to call this a success until I have tested it a few more times, but I wanted to share this with others to see if it helped them.<span id='postcolor'>

It was ineffective for my favorite server.

I may have spoken too soon...perhaps it was a better quality of connection which was playing on the server, but it seems that the desync is back somewhat...however...I did notice that it seems to be the worst when a poor connection is present...for example...1 player joined using with a widely varying ping and very bad desync...the desync seemed to transfer across all connection and all players...once he was gone it cleared up again. Ill have to keep working on it and running some tests...as for now, I am going to chalk last night up to a fluke sad.gif

When people are talking about their experiences can they post

1. What Processor the server is running

2. Their Upload bandwidth (also download [less important])

3. Info from #monitor (if active / possible)

4. Number of players

5. Any tweaks / settings in the .cfg file the server was running.

Obviously there is no need to replicate this information if it is in your signature like Skunk Monkey's

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I've noticed that the MaxCustomFileSize value in flashpoint.cfg to limit the file size of faces/sounds is interpreted by the game in bytes rather than kilobytes.

There are a few servers that are putting the following in their flashpoint.cfg file...

MaxCustomFileSize = "100";

(Probably thinking in kilobytes..)

Should be:

MaxCustomFileSize = "100000";

Just an observation

With less players the desyn is not as noticeable, i suppose that goes without saying.

As far as the desync is concerned

1) The desync I see causes players and vehicles to run on the spot, but not freeze the screen.

So Is this

a) Client desync (I think this is the one)

b) Server desync. (I think this would cause the screen to freeze).

On SHOP, i increased the max message sent, although this did not alter the desync at all, it seemed to lessen its effect somewhat

I think i have a grasp on what desync is, but i would like somebody more technical than me to explain it .

My understanding is that desync, is caused by the client processing data at a different slower rate than the server so that when it sends data back to the server its too late for the server to use it to update  and therefore it doesnt get updated until the next cycle or two afterwards

Whereas lag is simply the amount of time it takes the data to reach the server.

So lag is caused by the connection, whereas desync is caused by the system set up and software.

So if this is true, then the problem lies with the amount of data that the client has to process compared to the server.

Am i waffling on here, or is this an accurate perception as to what is happening.?confused.gif??

Suchey:

I tried the setting last night however I did not do it correctly. I put it in the server.cfg not the flashpoint.cfg (doh)

In any case, it does not matter. Suma said that setting will not change anything.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Hello Adam,

> I tested what Suchey said he did in the forums. He said he had restored

> performance by setting ThrottleGauranteed=1 in server.cfg

This does not make any sense to me, as ThrottleGuaranteed=1 is default

setting in 1.87, and the entry is not supported (and is therefore ignored)

in earlier versions.

> I tried this on Gameplanet with 20 players on several missions we had just

> played without the setting.

> Result was that, *maybe* the desyncs were less frequent, good performance

> probably lasted longer.

As explained above, I expect exactly same performance with or without this

setting.

> So I changed the server.cfg and set it to Throttleguaranteed=2 and then

did

> #Init.

> i am not sure if #Init works ? If server.cfg is edited does #init load the

> new throttle setting while server is running?

#init does not reload Flashpoint.cfg (ThrottleGuaranteed is placed in

Flashpoint.cfg, not in server.cfg)

> In any case the throttle ajdustments did not resolve the desync issues.

This does not suprised me, as above -- again. wink.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

It makes sense.. if ThrottleGauranteed was only introduced in 1.87, then it could not be causing problems in 1.85, and therefore could not be a fix for said problems.

I believe any performance increase you or I noticed Suchey was either wishful thinking of fluke as you said.

Regards,

Lt_Damage...I think your right confused.gif performance is back to usual on 1.87...I guess the planets were just aligned right or internet gnomes helped us out last night...in any case the desync and lag spikes are certainly back again...hopefully the BIS team will have some insight and maybe a fix next week...Ill keep my fingers crossed!

Believe me BIS are working on it as we speak.. well as soon as it is daytime over there in any case.

You will see, it won't be long until this is resolved and new patch is released, of that I can promise you.

Regards,

1.87 seems much better to me than 1.85, but the desynchs are definitely back and more extreme than 1.75.

I have:

Athlon XP 1900+

1.5GB DDR RAM

SCSI Hard Drives

on a T-1

I really like the custom file size limiter, but I wish it would relay the message to the client. As it is, they only get a message that they were kicked...not why they were kicked.

I'm looking forward to the netcode improving some more. Maybe Opflash should be optimized for a 6-way CPU server. biggrin.gif