Sign in to follow this  
inlesco

Painting blood splatters on terrain / vehicles?

When a unit dies or gets injured, a blood splatter is spawned beneath / nearby him. But I've never seen someone paint custom / vanilla blood splatters on building walls, vehicles, etc.

My question: is it possible? Is there a not too workaround-y solution available?

When a unit dies or gets injured, a blood splatter is spawned beneath / nearby him. But I've never seen someone paint custom / vanilla blood splatters on building walls, vehicles, etc.

My question: is it possible? Is there a not too workaround-y solution available?

You can probably make a permanent blood spatter on the ground with createObject, not sure about the one on the walls.

You could just place user textures in the editor and apply setObjectTexture on them. Or do you mean something more dynamically generated?

KunLJwc.png

Praise 3DEN!

• Like 3

Yes, I also used custom textures in my campaign and placed them on the ground and on walls (make transparent .PNG files and convert them to .PAA). Works good enough.

All pictures I found on the internet were a bit too unrealistic (too "red" or odd splatters, IMO), so I created my own textures in Photoshop with some custom brushs.

hi,

You could just place user textures in the editor and apply setObjectTexture on them. Or do you mean something more dynamically generated?
KunLJwc.png
Praise 3DEN!

Great job! Did you setDamage or did you apply blood texture on the soldier uniform?

cya.

Nikiller.

hi,

Great job! Did you setDamage or did you apply blood texture on the soldier uniform?

cya.

Nikiller.

I just put some blood splatter on the uniform texture in photoshop, and then used setObjectTexture, because I wanted some red on his boots, the normal damage doesn't do that.

Poor colonel, finds no joy in his job anymore.

Oh man dynamic blood splatter on walls would be amazing! Greenfist I thought you did it :D

SLX mod did have it but it doesnt work in Arma3

Excellent answers, guys!

Greenfist, perhaps you could share some love to make people's lives easier? :D Just to see how this proof of concept works.

As I understand, painting a spatter over a vehicle (a more complex shape than a building wall...) is impossible without applying a tex through hiddenSelections, right?

I'd love to make a vehicle's wheels bloody under certain conditions (drives over a dismembered body, etc.).

But I assume the wheels don't have HSs applied. Because of, well, performance?

As I said, the process was very simple: googled blood splatter textures (as you can tell by the shutterstock watermark), made them transparent in photoshop, saved as .PAA in TexView, carefully placed some 'user texture' objects in Eden, and finally put "this setObjectTexture [0,"blood.paa"]" in their init.

For the uniform, I extracted the texture from game files, edited it and saved as a .paa file in the mission folder. You could to the same with vehicles.

Painting vehicles dynamically would be much more difficult. You could create bloody versions of their normal textures, and then switch to them when you somehow detect the vehicle driving over a body. But I'm sure it would not look too good, unless the effect is very subtle.

(...) carefully placed some 'user texture' objects in Eden (...)

Thx for sharing Greenfist.

Those items are vertically oriented. So far, still no answer from BI to get the horizontally oriented versions, so that we can easily stick them to slope.

Thx for sharing Greenfist.

Those items are vertically oriented. So far, still no answer from BI to get the horizontally oriented versions, so that we can easily stick them to slope.

Horizontals would be nice, but you can still rotate them very easily in the editor.

Or maybe use some surfaceNormal/lineIntersectsSurfaces/setvectorup magic to set it automatically.

Or maybe use some surfaceNormal/lineIntersectsSurfaces/setvectorup magic to set it automatically.

That's were I'm hitting my inability to manipulate things in 3D through math :) 

This is so embarassing... if tut3 is my object, this will make it face the same direction of the player and make it stick to slope, while still being vertical:

tut3 setVectorDir [ sin getDir player, cos getDir player, 1 ];
tut3 setVectorUp surfaceNormal position tut3;

And after that I'm stuck... :) I just don't have the math knowledge to rotate it so that it faces the sky.