Sign in to follow this  
Maurdekye

How to make objective changes pop up?

Before in the 2d editor, you had a lot more freedom as to how you could set up objectives. Now with the new waypoint objective system in the 3D editor, there seems to be a lot of functionality missing. One of those functions is that when a new objective waypoint is completed, it doesn't show up in the center of the screen with a little bwoop noise like it did before, making it difficult to see when an objective is completed. Is it still possible to do this, and how? If there's a scripting command that makes the messages appear, then that's okay, but if there's a universal setting to do it automatically for all assigned and completed waypoints then that's even better.

I feel like something that ties into the existing waypoint system would be nicer. I don't really want to restructure my entire mission layout just for the popups.

How were you doing this with waypoints in the 2D editor? Tasks are completely separate from waypoints.

How were you doing this with waypoints in the 2D editor? Tasks are completely separate from waypoints.

I originally did make missions with tasks in the 2D editor, but it seems they were removed from the list of objects in the 3D editor. I took that as I was meant to be using waypoints instead, so that's what I started doing. Is that not the recommended way of doing it?

I originally did make missions with tasks in the 2D editor, but it seems they were removed from the list of objects in the 3D editor. I took that as I was meant to be using waypoints instead, so that's what I started doing. Is that not the recommended way of doing it?

Waypoints are for controlling the movement of groups. They are not tied to the task system in any way (although you could use the activation field of a waypoint to enact a task state change if you wanted).

Based on your description, I assume you were using the task modules in the 2D editor. They are still there. You can find them under the modules/logic group (F5 shortcut) in the "Intel" category. These modules tie directly into the ArmA 3 Task Framework that davidoss  linked above; activating them via module versus via script is merely a matter of preference.  

Waypoints are for controlling the movement of groups. They are not tied to the task system in any way (although you could use the activation field of a waypoint to enact a task state change if you wanted).

Based on your description, I assume you were using the task modules in the 2D editor. They are still there. You can find them under the modules/logic group (F5 shortcut) in the "Intel" category. These modules tie directly into the ArmA 3 Task Framework that davidoss  linked above; activating them via module versus via script is merely a matter of preference.  

Ah, okay. Originally they had a whole bunch of different preset tasks available, like MOVE and DEFEND, but they must have removed those for consistency when making the 3D editor. I guess I passed right over them when surveying the new layout. Thanks!

I started using the task modules and am slowly replacing all my old waypoints with them. But the popup when they are created/assigned doesn't appear like it used to. Is there an option I forgot to toggle?

Edit: Also, the Set Task State modules seem to be activating immediately even when synced to a trigger. 

To be honest, I don't use the modules myself, so I don't know off-hand. I would assume that a task notification would display by default whenever activating the task changed module, but I'd have to take a look at the function associated with it to find out for sure, and I don't have access to that right now. You can, of course, always create a task notification manually by tapping into the notification system directly: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Notification