Sign in to follow this  
skibei_neko

Why so man people like to play wwii games anyway?

Just getting back to Thread Authors questions. You wishes may be coming true. 2years ago Delta Force Land Warrior was released letting us gamers virtually test the OICW prototype. This past summer America's Army was released. And I just recently Operation Desert Storm in stores for X Box. {Keep XBox opinions to yourslef..noone cares, its a console, plays game-why wouldn't you want it?}. And if you want to into further detail, Operation Flashpoint which based on like the last years of the cold war.

By now{depending on your age} you should have noticed all things change but at a constant rate. Only very noticable when you at time in like 10year spans.

I feel the transition. Even PANETSIDE an MMOFPS game is half Unreal style{weapon wise} half Realism{SMG's, Rifles etc}.

I find any way that the WW2 era in gaming has been a little overkilled.

We need an OFP version for a Vietanm era. Then definitely Gulf War. Kosovo{for the IL lovers}, Rawanda, more up to date material.

Have faith young brother, your dreams are coming.

Great, you turned a modern age sniper into a wwII pilot. Now I cant get enough of this game. Even though I suck at it.

I can just feel the love for us Americans in here. wink.gif

Is'nt CFS3 is comming out very soon? It should blow the pants off IL2, (Which was a great game by the way).... And of course, most importantly, it is "Made in the good old U.S.A."!! Woo hoo.

/goes to the mall to buy games with big American flags on them.

tounge.gif

...I just realized that this thread was kind of old. My appologies for the late comments.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Oct. 25 2002,18:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WW2 had just about every type of battle you could think of.<span id='postcolor'>

I dont recall the one where a Japanese carrier parked itself 400 yards away from an American island.

I will give you this though- MOHAA is a pretty good game... while it lasts (20 minutes if my math still serves me)

I think a vietnam type version of OFP wouldbe good too speciallly if it got decent grass and jungles.

WWII games seem a little overdone by now confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Oct. 25 2002,20:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think a vietnam type version of OFP wouldbe good too speciallly if it got decent grass and jungles.

WWII games seem a little overdone by now confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I'm still waiting for a realistic WW2 game, at least Nam is ahead of WW2 in that regard, Seal Team IMO is still more realistic than any WW2 game I've played in a similar genre,

*EEERRRRRRrrrrr...RATITAT TAT! *

Die you ruskie bastards!

*gets rudder torn off from MG fire*

God damnit.

*continues to shoot at Pe-3(or some odd number)*

Hahahaha!

*engine is hit and sprays oil all over windshield*

Ahhhh!

*plummets to the earth as engine fails and elevator is torn off*

Oddly enough, Il-2 has done that to me a few times. I especially get freaked out when oil starts leaking, and your windscreen blacks out. Talk about having a bad day wow.gif

What I hate is when your windshield is covered in oil and the engine starts fire without you noticing clearly. Also aimings a bitch when your reticle is blown off. OR when a single round cuts through the canopy and kills you instantly.

Im going to buy this game tomarrow. Maybe a new joystick too.

WW2 was much more "handicraft" and up close warfare than it is nowadays. It was more about individual or crew skill, not about "artificial intelligence" of a specific weapon system, that just requires a push of a button to end any resistance with pinpoint accuracy beyond visual range.

Also today we rather face many low intensity warfare spots around the world, especially in third world countries, that are better described with a series of skirmishes or small scale battles, rather than a full blown war between capable nations (in a military, not political or ideological sense) as we envision it from the 2nd WW. It was way more material and personal intensive than what we have today, with many frontlines and tactical as strategic constellations.

Today we have the electronic battlefield, combat is heavily computer aided, even for the regular infantryman, long range, devastating and precise as never before in history.

A modern NATO army doesn´t go out without knowing exactly what force composition and strength it will fight against, the when, where and what is preprogrammed and gathered via information provided by satellites and other means of advanced reconnaissance.

It´s much more difficult to surprise an army with a swift maneuver or hide intentions (or your combat assets), than it was 60 years ago.

The goal for the future is to destroy the enemy main body element long before something like a forward line of own troops is reached by them, and a quasi frontline established, that means high tech warfare beyond visual range for the most part.

That´s why it is rather boring for me to fly i.e. an F22 than for example a ME-109, Yak-9 or P-47.

Just take a look at Boeings latest effort, the bird of prey, wonder where it will all go to and look like in 20 years from now:

>

Bah!

i'd have to agree with Satchel. but i'd like to add that there is a 'fantasy' factor involved. WW2 was something that is not too far away, yet is fading away at a rate. so it's an illusionary object that we see, but once was a reality(a harsh one)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ Oct. 23 2002,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I also like the idea of teamwork. Something alot of games were missing. Also the idea of knowing whose been shot. Hell, in most games, when someone dies next to them. Do they care? I watch my entire squad walk right by my corpse in DOD when a sniper nailed me. Not a single one cared.<span id='postcolor'>

RTCW is the only WW2 game where players don't ignore their fallen comrades, why? Because you get lots of points if you heal/revive someone. Too bad there isn't realistic version of RTCW, that would rock IMO wink.gif.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ Oct. 25 2002,18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ Oct. 23 2002,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I also like the idea of teamwork. Something alot of games were missing. Also the idea of knowing whose been shot. Hell, in most games, when someone dies next to them. Do they care? I watch my entire squad walk right by my corpse in DOD when a sniper nailed me. Not a single one cared.<span id='postcolor'>

RTCW is the only WW2 game where players don't ignore their fallen comrades, why? Because you get lots of points if you heal/revive someone. Too bad there isn't realistic version of RTCW, that would rock IMO wink.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

I play RTCW once in a while but i think it isn't good at all. It's fun to play when there's a good team play but a lot of things have fucked up this game. People use tweaks so they can see you through fog, behind trees and stuff like that while you can't see them. It's really stupid when you git hit and you know they normally wouldn't have been able to see you.

The medic thing is pretty cool in RTCW, also LTs that give ammo is very nice, every type has its own good and bad things i guess.

The weapons are really unrealistic too, aiming in the head will take someone down with probable 3 to 5 hits, the body can catch a lot of bullets before some goes down. I wish they had a realism version too. 1 good bullet => 1 kill then it would be a great game.

If you ask me the coolest game to play in multiplayer is Delta Force 2, probable the only decent DF game out there...

Does anyone have Black Hawk Down? Can you send me some screenshots of what enemies look like at a range of +- 500m?

I'd really appreciate that!

I like the AI in IL. Sure, their a little slow at times. But nothings more satisfying than having your wingman take down that fighter thats been on your ass for 20 minutes.

I agree with Satchel. 100%. I cant argue with what he says.