Sign in to follow this  
skibei_neko

Why so man people like to play wwii games anyway?

I mean...we have all seen the movies 1000 times. We have seen unrealistic, corney, and ultra-realistic. But why so many people go gaga about playing in WWII? I would much rather play with modern weapons (or play with swords for that matter). UMmmm...but I would'nt mind playing a WWII game were you can do nasty adolesent tricks to the Nazi clowns from Hogan's heros.

Cause it was the war of stereotypes. On the one side the total black evil and on the other the liberators. Why do people like to watch Star-wars? tounge.gif

No seriously, because it was the last real big war. I mean when was the last time opponents with such a fire-power faced each other? When was the last time so many soldiers were involved in great battles? The touch of historical authenticity (well at least the symbols on the tanks) may be a motivator for you to play through history with an WWII game.

That's why i don't like BF1942.

Give the soldiers vaguely reminiscent uniforms,put swastika's on the bad guys and give weapons that sort of look like the real thing.

But,to make it popular,make it so that you can rocket jump and survive countless bullets.

If I want that i'll play ut2003 thank you,it does a much better job of that too imho.

If I want a teamplay experience I'll play Tribes2 in a tribe.

If I want realistic,engrossing combat I'll play OFP.

But from a commercial standpoint this is a great game...

I like to play WW2 games because I grew up watching WW2 movies, because I grew up reading lots of WW2 books, because my Gramps fought in WW2, because I've watched countless documentaries about it.......

I like them becuase they are fun. wink.gif Now is all we need is a game where ya get to destroy the crappy people of the SS.

Classic movie-like major fight between good and evil.  At least that's how many people view it.  I remember back in Czechoslovakia, during the communist rule, you couldn't even spray-paint the swastika as it was a criminal offense and could land you in jail easily.  That's how evil a reputation the Nazis have earned themselves, though I try not to look at things from a good/bad point of view, as naturally it's just an illusion.

In nature the stronger one prevails, and weaker perishes.  Doesn't matter who's right or wrong, what matters is who's stronger.

Back on topic, I like WWII because after doing much reading on it and understanding it I realize there will never be a war quite like it.  Today the Japanese could never have moved their Imperial fleet near Hawaii without being detected (satellites, etc.).  Today the classic dogfights and era of Ace-pilots is but a dream.  Air-to-air missiles like the AIM-54 can engage enemy aircraft almost 200km away.  Tank gunners no longer take skill to propertly aim their cannons to engage the enemy target.  It's all computerized.  Wars will soon be fought with machinery/technology/computers rather than human skill.  The "excitement" factor is decreasing in intensity.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Frisbee @ Oct. 22 2002,13:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's why i don't like BF1942.

Give the soldiers vaguely reminiscent uniforms,put swastika's on the bad guys and give weapons that sort of look like the real thing.

But,to make it popular,make it so that you can rocket jump and survive countless bullets.

If I want that i'll play ut2003 thank you,it does a much better job of that too imho.

If I want a teamplay experience I'll play Tribes2 in a tribe.

If I want realistic,engrossing combat I'll play OFP.

But from a commercial standpoint this is a great game...<span id='postcolor'>

If you think you need to shoot a lot of bullets to someone before you can kill him in BF then you are wrong. While playing with a friend i was able to kill targets with 1 hit (headshot). Perhaps you shoot a lot of bullets but none of them actually hits his target? I can take out most targets with one shot with the sniper rifle too.

So basically i don't know what you're talking about. You need some experience to shoot people in the head from rather large range but you get used to it. I don't play the game a lot but i do think what you are saying isn't right... Perhaps you server you were playing on was lagging hard, that might be why no one died after a couple hits....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Duke_of_Ray @ Oct. 22 2002,15:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I like them becuase they are fun. wink.gif  Now is all we need is a game where ya get to destroy the crappy people of the SS.<span id='postcolor'>

Someone should give me a buck every time this guy says somthing weird/useless/dumb/etc

I bet i'll be rich in no time!

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Give the soldiers vaguely reminiscent uniforms,put swastika's on the bad guys and give weapons that sort of look like the real thing.<span id='postcolor'>

Remember though! EA don't like swastika's, so they use the Iron Cross instead, as if that makes everything alright!

As for BF1942, if one more person starts to harp on about how its realism and physics are up to par, I myself will go on my own killing spree. Probably in your neighbourhood.

I dunno. Maybe its because I liked the idea of it. Ok, that didnt come out right. But think about it. This was an age of war heroes, great feats of technology, and alot of danger. Maybe its because Im curious of this danger. Sure, DOD may not even come close(bunny hopping?)but its as close as Ill ever get.

Personally, I like the ww2 strategy games better. Since they focus more on the history and combat. Thats why I enjoyed games such as commandos and Close Combat. Both had at least some realism in there. I also like the idea of one shot, one kill. Adds even more. Now if they introduce a more realistic medical system and MG, they almost have it right. Because troops can be shot and die after awhile, and a medic cant just throw them a health pack or make them sit for 20 seconds.

One thing I didnt like about OFP is that your characters shot and he shrugs it off. Sure, he walks slower or aims a bit badly, but your guy dosent experiance anything. Its a grunt, and then nothing.

But that would be hard to simulate.

I guess its also because I grew up watching these movies. Band of Brothers is one of my favorite miniseries. Dunno why. If someone makes a ww2 airplane simulator, Ill be happy. I always found people flying in those days gutsy. Unlike the army, you cant hide. You cant run. And your vulnerable.

The only way I could ever experiance this though is to travel back in time. But I always like scratching the surface. I like seeing what others see. I only wish game and movies stayed more true to the history(Saving Private Ryan. YA! Americans were the only ones in THAT war.).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ Oct. 23 2002,21:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If someone makes a ww2 airplane simulator, Ill be happy. I always found people flying in those days gutsy.<span id='postcolor'>

Errr IL2 Sturmovik?

I also like the idea of teamwork. Something alot of games were missing. Also the idea of knowing whose been shot. Hell, in most games, when someone dies next to them. Do they care? I watch my entire squad walk right by my corpse in DOD when a sniper nailed me. Not a single one cared.

I want teamwork to the point where I can yell at someone to fire at a window without the asshole doing something stupid. I can say where the enemy is without explaining the entire village to my troops. Voice over net? Dosent work well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 23 2002,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ Oct. 23 2002,21:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If someone makes a ww2 airplane simulator, Ill be happy. I always found people flying in those days gutsy.<span id='postcolor'>

Errr IL2 Sturmovik?<span id='postcolor'>

Whats IL2 Sturmovik? I've hard about it, but never seen it anywhere.

The physics and realism are up to par. tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

Draco: in SOF2, the enemies usally do things after they are shot, eg, limp, hold their wound, wriggle on the floor when they are shot, etc. But that game is made for things like that, now is it? smile.gif

BTW, there are lots of WW2 Flight sims, IL2, CFS1 and 2, plus a bunch that are coming out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ Oct. 23 2002,22:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats IL2 Sturmovik? I've hard about it, but never seen it anywhere.<span id='postcolor'>

Argh ARGH, you dont know IL2? GO buy it right away!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">....The physics and realism are up to par<span id='postcolor'>

All I have to do is bribe Placebo to give me your IP, and then I'll have a geographical area to begin my hunt.....

IL-2, is a fantastic sim. They also have a addon pack coming out soon, called 'Forgotten Battles'. Some of the goodies will include, Hurricanes, searchlights, and multicrewed bombers in multiplayer! Excellent!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Someone should give me a buck every time this guy says somthing weird/useless/dumb/etc

I bet i'll be rich in no time!

<span id='postcolor'>

So you think the guys of the SS where nice? Oh sure I mean they did not do to much bad, just killed a few people. wink.gif I honestly believe it would have botherd me more to kill a dog than a SS soldier who helped kill all of those people. mad.gif

He's in the land where if a game doesn't have a big flag of that country on the box people tend not to buy it smile.gif

Download the IL2 demo Only 146mb smile.gif

blazing_guns.jpg

Bf-109E-7Z.jpg

grab00041.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 23 2002,22:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">He's in the land where if a game doesn't have a big flag of that country on the box people tend not to buy it smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, I tend to avoid such games. I live in Canada, if you didn't know. I just didnt hear about IL. IS that such a big problem that everyone now thinks Im some inbred who knows that my country is the only one in the world?

That was incredibaly low.

And Im already downloading the demo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Oct. 23 2002,23:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL badgerboy, your probably a serial killer if you do that every time someone says that!  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ Oct. 23 2002,21:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That was incredibaly low.<span id='postcolor'>

Apologies I thought you were American wink.gif

Hehe, lol, many games involving american spec ops have the soldier on the front, with a waving american flag in the background! wink.gif Not sure about names, but im sure ive seen that before. biggrin.gif

That was meant to be my point, not some slagging off of Americans (or in this case Canadians) smile.gif

If it's an American game made by an American company it gets a massive fan fare, if it's a game made for example in Europe it seems to be sneaked onto the US shelves without anyone noticing, obviously that's the blame for the most part of the publishers (CM *spit*) but I think also the "Big-American-Flag-On-Box" syndrome applies as well smile.gif