When you group units together into a squad, they adopt a default name, usually along the lines of Alpha 1,1. This is the name that shows up in the character select lobby when hosting a server. I know you can change the role description of the squad by going into it's attributes, and the name change is reflected in the editor. But their name stays as the same default in the multiplayer lobby, Alpha 1,1. Is it possible to change their name so it appears different there too?

Is it possible to run this script before the mission starts so that it appears in the lobby?

I googled for ur question and the answer I found was that u already know the answer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/armadev/comments/2hg6u1/display_group_names_in_mp_lobby/

I think to do it with a script is not possible but read the following yourself to get sure about:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Functions_Library_(Arma_3)#Initialization_Order

Is it possible to run this script before the mission starts so that it appears in the lobby?

This has been asked before but no solution was found. Unless BIS makes some changes to the engine code I don't think it's possible.

But an easy workaround is to write the group name into unit descriptions for each unit in group. Eg. "Squad One AR" instead of "AR".

Investigation in Progress about the topic for whole understanding. Meanwhile solution is next:

While in Eden open player attributes and there will be an option tagged "Description name" just under player and playable checkboxes, give a name you desire followd by "@" and a group name.  E.G. Rifleman_role@FortunaSquad. Now this will be displayed when youget at "the starting point" (offically named by Bohemia for MP lobby).

What im on is if this apply due the fact of a mod or if it is just a myth, but it works:

Alternative: No documentation about preloding mission files in MP (not about initialization_order, this dosent apply what i mean), but you can find at mission.sqf "class item" with the following:

class Item1
                {
                    dataType="Object";
                    class PositionInfo
                    {
                        position[]={1200.017,4.6900196,3201.167};
                        angles[]={0,1.0915289,0};
                    };
                    side="Independent";
                    flags=7;
                    class Attributes
                    {
                        skill=0.7149244;
                        rank="LIEUTENANT";
                        description="rifleman_role@FortunaSquad";

};

NOTE: make sure to name the playable unit and not a vehicle if the playable unit is in it, cause it will not assign the name to the unit.

11 hours ago, corralesid said:

What im on is if this apply due the fact of a mod or if it is just a myth, but it works

It's from CBA.

testing write now once and for all, cause i was told once it was from ACE...so better tell the truth.

Yep, is CBA functionality. Anyway to do it manually? I was trying by preprocesslink but i still havent found the way.

Sorry for being necromancer but you can make custom unit description like "Squad Leader @ SOG Wizard" without any CBA. 
The problem is how to change the name of the squad in MP lobby?