Tuskegee_99th

Looking for help with dedicated server and MODs

Hi All,

Relatively new to ARMA but not to similar games and running servers for them. I have rented a dedicated server for your group and everything has been working pretty will for a few months now. Send the release of 1.56 I've run into a couple if issues with the mods we've been using. And there's one lingering issue I've never really gotten a good answer to.

1. First, the lingering issue. Why is it that the DLC addons, Karts, Helos, and Marksmen have red dot's in the mod list at the bottom right of the server browser. I presume that red means somehow not matching between the client and the server, but I have know idea why that would be the case. Server runs fine and myself and my friends can join and play so not a huge issue, more of a curiosity.

2. Since the 1.56 update the CUP Weapons mod show red in the mod list in the browser. I've tried putting a fresh copy on my client machine and on the server but no matter what I do it remains red. As with the DLC addons to mod seems to work fine, we have access to all the weapons. Just don't understand why it shows as red.

3. More serious is that since the 1.56 update the Half Life Creations Mod Set, @hlcmods, when activated on the server the server will not start. The mod works fine locally on my client machine. Only my rented, dedicated server will not launch the game with that mod active. So for now we've disabled it, but we do miss some of the weapons.

Hope this was clear and appreciate any insight anyone might have.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I will start with WELCOME to the realm of servers/modifications.

Here is a very good page, just to see how it should be done, follow this and no problems, with the vanilla server should go wrong. HERE.

To answer your questions generally, have you done the following:

Firstly, when downloading the mods, do you have these following folder inside @mod_name

• Addons (Folder)
  • Keys (Folder)

Next you need to copy the Keys folder to the Server Directory. (A server directory is where the arma3server.exe file is located, on the machine.) There should already be a Keys folder, you are just placing the .bisign files, into it. (This process will not change anything, and only add addtional .bisign files).

Then you need to make sure that your command line is setup correctly. (A command line basically tells the server what to run, with commands here is a link to the commands).

Finally, look into the server.cfg and look for

verifySignatures     = 2;    // If set to 2, players with unknown or unsigned mods won't be allowed join (default: 0, recommended: 2)

This should solve most of your problems, if it doesn't. Then I suggest you reinstall your mods and wait/find the newest version. (Most high-profile mods have thier own website).

Good luck with your server ventures.

If you need any help.

Please don't hesitate to ask.

Jack.

Hi Dave,

I will start with WELCOME to the realm of servers/modifications.

Here is a very good page, just to see how it should be done, follow this and no problems, with the vanilla server should go wrong. HERE.

To answer your questions generally, have you done the following:

Firstly, when downloading the mods, do you have these following folder inside @mod_name

• Addons (Folder)
  • Keys (Folder)

Next you need to copy the Keys folder to the Server Directory. (A server directory is where the arma3server.exe file is located, on the machine.) There should already be a Keys folder, you are just placing the .bisign files, into it. (This process will not change anything, and only add addtional .bisign files).

Then you need to make sure that your command line is setup correctly. (A command line basically tells the server what to run, with commands here is a link to the commands).

Finally, look into the server.cfg and look for

verifySignatures     = 2;    // If set to 2, players with unknown or unsigned mods won't be allowed join (default: 0, recommended: 2)

This should solve most of your problems, if it doesn't. Then I suggest you reinstall your mods and wait/find the newest version. (Most high-profile mods have thier own website).

Good luck with your server ventures.

If you need any help.

Please don't hesitate to ask.

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for responding. I am very familiar with that page, have read it extensively. Keep in mind that the issues I'm describing started with the 1.56 update, I've had the server running with previous versions for months.

1. Yes

2. Keys are in the correct place

3. Command line is correct (except of course those times when I make a typo :))

4. And I do have verifysignatures =2; in the server.cfg

One of the CUP developers mentioned that the red indicators on mods in the server browser are probably not reliable. And, since the CUP Weapons does work I'm inclined to ignore that one and the DLCs being red as well. What I'd really like to figure out is why @hlcmods now prevents the server from starting, worked fine with 1.54.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Are you certain that you need the actual mod @hlcmods on the server. All you would need is the bisign, to let you in.

Also check this:

// EVENT SCRIPTS - see http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Server_Side_Scripting
onUserConnected     = "";    // command to run when a player connects
onUserDisconnected  = "";    // command to run when a player disconnects
doubleIdDetected    = "";    // command to run if a player has the same ID as another player in the server
onUnsignedData      = "kick (_this select 0)";    // command to run if a player has unsigned files
onHackedData        = "kick (_this select 0)";    // command to run if a player has tampered files

Jack.

Please contact me if you require further assistance.

Hi Jack,

I believe that any MOD that has models, textures, items, etc. and creates class_names has to be on the servers and clients. I know some mods like sound mods only need to be client side with the .bikey on the server.

As I said @hlcmods worked fine on version 1.54 of ARMA it was after the update to 1.56 that the server will no longer start with that mod activated. Thanks

Dave

Hi Jack,

I believe that any MOD that has models, textures, items, etc. and creates class_names has to be on the servers and clients.

Dave

This incorrect.

You can join a server, a server with "x unit pack" (as long as they can be let in (bikey))

But, anyone who doesn't have the same pack, WONT see the texture just someone walking round naked.

But, if they have the pack and so does everyone else, they can see it.

This correct.

The mission will NOT start, if the mission has been made with the mods launched or placed. (but you would get an error.)

Jack

Hi Jack,

As I said @hlcmods worked fine on version 1.54 of ARMA it was after the update to 1.56 that the server will no longer start with that mod activated. Thanks

Dave

Have you reinstalled I "newer" version. (Has the version number changed on the mod)

Have you reinstalled I "newer" version. (Has the version number changed on the mod)

I have the latest version of the hlcmods and it's not a problem with a missions not starting, the server won't even start with the @hlcmods activated.

Dave

Okay, is the server ruinning Linux or Windows operating system?

Jack

I'm having the same issue. I update my dedicated (HostHavoc) by ftp, I always make sure to copy the new keys and besign files but for whatever reason I have 4 mods with red dots. The mods are copied off my PC from steam and uploaded via FTP to my dedicated so how could they have different versions? I've deleted all the keys on the server and reuploaded.