Sign in to follow this  
defiant493

How do I change a unit's name while looking at them?

I know about setName, and setIdentity, but I'm wondering how one might be able to change the name of a character when you hover over them. They would say "Rifleman", or "Team Leader." I know that when you place the units under Men (Story) their names show up as their names are, but I'm wondering how I can get a character to have a name show up as well, so that instead of "Grenadier" or something, it shows "Cpl. Dunn" or something like that.

I think that the name described above is an Arma hud element. You can disable parts of the hud using showHud. As for showing player names do you mean like in CSE/ACE/AGM and other mods?

If so here is some code:

["PlayerNameIcons","onEachFrame",{
  _allPlayers = allPlayers;
  {
    drawIcon3D [
      ([_x,"texture"] call BIS_fnc_rankParams),
      [1,1,1,0.7],
      (name _x),
      "Roboto",
      "right",
      false
    ];
  } forEach _allPlayers;
}] call BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler;

Code not tested

Hope this is a pointer in the right direction,

Bull

I know about setName, and setIdentity, but I'm wondering how one might be able to change the name of a character when you hover over them. They would say "Rifleman", or "Team Leader." I know that when you place the units under Men (Story) their names show up as their names are, but I'm wondering how I can get a character to have a name show up as well, so that instead of "Grenadier" or something, it shows "Cpl. Dunn" or something like that.

bull_a did provide a valid solution. I'll add two more that requires a bit of modding:

1. Use Dslyexci's ST Nametags mod. It displays setName/setIdentity name as well as groupID. This also works for player names in multiplayer.

2. The names you're refering to (Rifleman, Team Leader, Miller, Stavrou, etc.) are defined in "CfgVehicles" >> [vehicle class name] >> "DisplayName". You can create additional CfgVehicles entries with unique displayNames. You would however, need to build your own mod for this.