almanzo

Good job with 3den!

I would like to take this opportunity, for someone who have complained alot in the past, to congratulate BIS on a job well done with the latest patch.

Midrange and longrange textures on Altis looks much better, the new sound engine is miles ahead of the old one and I also would like to say that I'm liking 3den alot so far!

• Like 9

I would like to take this opportunity, for someone who have complained alot in the past, to congratulate BIS on a job well done with the latest patch.

Midrange and longrange textures on Altis looks much better, the new sound engine is miles ahead of the old one and I also would like to say that I'm liking 3den alot so far!

Was there changes made to mid and longrange textures in this update? 

Not sure but yesterday I noticed that the game looked better but I can't really tell if they changed mid or longrange textures.

Can you make a before / after comparison of mid / long range terrain textures? Would be great.

Can you make a before / after comparison of mid / long range terrain textures? Would be great.

I personally haven't noticed any change, but it shouldn't be too difficult to check by rolling back to the previous legacy version.

But regarding 3DEN - I love it, it's damn sexy. And I don't use that word lightly when it comes to editors.

• Like 4

I humbly think that 3DEN is one of the most important steps in the OFP/Arma series, specially having in mind that most players spent most of the time in the editor. 

BI did a great job with it.

It's kind of sad that it gets a bit covered by the hype that Tanoa / APEX logically generates.

• Like 5

Eden is awesome! and the new soundscape is as awesome if not even better... :D 

To be honest, I was a bit unsure myself. But I've played the game loads before the update, and I havent noticed this before now. I mean, Altis looks amazing from above now, it really doess. The fact that I haven't noticed before kind of tells me that it must have been this update.

We're absolutely with you, Eden was a stunning update and we can't thank Bohemia enough for making this free for everyone!

To be honest, I was a bit unsure myself. But I've played the game loads before the update, and I havent noticed this before now. I mean, Altis looks amazing from above now, it really doess. The fact that I haven't noticed before kind of tells me that it must have been this update.

Now that you mention it,I was flying an F-18 the other day and did think Altis looked amazing too..maybe something was changed.

I haven't noticed anything changed with the textures, there is also nothing in the changelog about them.  But the 3D editor is something I've been wanting for years.  Finally able to make a detailed mission without constantly having to preview it to make sure everything is in place.

Yeah, it's great.

The ability to build detailed settings (down to placing a clipboard on a table) is so good for atmosphere in my missions. And now I can precisely place units on corners, standing on balconies, etc. and know exactly where they'll be when encountered.

Being able to precisely place triggers is nice as well.

Sorry for bumping into your thread like this, apparently. im not allowed to make new topics.

I have a question for bohemia and its users,

To start off: We run on of the biggest altis life servers.

Problem: Since the eden update we cant "tag" people, i noticed you changed your settings here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Difficulty_Menu#Difficulty_Menu

Even though ive changed everything to what you suggested, we can´t get it to work.

Problem is; Blufor and Independent can´t get tag on anyone.

Civilians can get tag´s on blufor + independent, but they can´t get tags on each others using this.

We have changed like you advised us to, enemyTag = 1;

Still doesn´t work.

Anyone got an solve for this? its quite important to know who you are shooting towards in an Altis Life Server.

Best Regards Jonas,

And again, sorry for bumping into your thread about Eden.

• Like 1

Yeah both the eden editor and the new sounds are great.Eden is very easy to work with and distant explosions are just orgasmic!I couldn't find any other word to describe it.

Good job for B.I. on this one! :)

I haven't noticed anything changed with the textures, there is also nothing in the changelog about them.  But the 3D editor is something I've been wanting for years.  Finally able to make a detailed mission without constantly having to preview it to make sure everything is in place.

There's been a workaround for 3D editing in Zeus, then exporting all objects to a .sqf file and importing them to your mission. This pretty hefty and comfortable has been around since Zeus' release.

Of course, Zeus can't match Eden's realtime search, plus other features. Now, hopefully, some of the great features will come to Zeus very soon :)

Eden makes editing sooooo much easier and fun. and powerful. its great.

The update has increased quality and performance for a lot of maps, I think. I've been playing Clafghan with no fog/view distance on high and there's barely any flickering of distant trees or clouds over mountaintops. It looks wonderful.

I think the Eden update is more significant than many would think. The ability to utilise 3 dimensions when creating your scenarios opens up many opportunities for youtube videos. Here is a video which I made to demonstrate the capabilities of the Eden editor. Note, this is my first ever Arma 3 video, but it won't be the last :) 

• Like 2

i love the eden editor i just wish they kept the f5 sync thing. its a kind of a pain in the butt when you have to right click and then connect then sync to... then click unit/trigger/waypoint etc.

was easier pressing f5 then drag to the trigger / job done. 

sometimes the sync only works 1 way also. for example. 

from waypoint to trigger it wont sync

from trigger to waypoint it will sync

not had this issue before. 

Well I'll be the party pooper then..

Just being a visitor to the A3 shores and using the new editor a couple of times.

Now I can see that players, especially new players, may find this better, be able to achieve more with it. This obviously is good for them and the games progression into the area it wants to be.

But..

I can't help thinking that the effort that was put into this, could have been put into the woeful AI. Now I say woeful, in context of the Arma world, not comparing it to other games. We all know, or most of us know, that the Arma AI is very good when compared to other games that have a large open world to have to deal with, plus everything they have to do within that world. But it could/can be so much better.

This is more to do with why this editor could perhaps have been avoided. Have an AI that knows what its supposed to do, simple things like garrison buildings, find cover better than it does, sharing info across the whole faction and not just simply with their own team mates. Having the ability to call in the right type/amount of help and assistance (infantry, air, armour, sea), hear what is happening around them properly and reacting accordingly, drive in convoy.. Etc.. Its all there in modded AI, why not vanilla.

Its great that players can place AI units much more precisely without having to put anything in an init field and keep popping in and out of the game to see its done correctly. But its sort of pointless without an AI that will then know what to do after being placed in such a great position.

It's just if.. All the effort that was put into this editor, was put into the AI instead. Thus leaving the editor as it was for now.

Its a good editor for the new player to get into. But it just pushes aside what is really needed. That is a really good vanilla AI system, which A3 doesn't have, even when looking into modded AI, its very hard to get very good AI for A3.

Arma is going more into the 'Life' mode and less towards the mil/sim style, SP or coop against AI player. The AI are getting little to no work. I know they keep tweaking, but really its all around the edges. I go into A3 occasionally and still see a, when compared to very good A2 modded AI, very poor vanilla AI.

BI, put the time into AI, or perhaps just admit its of little to no concern to the game anymore. Whereas a 'flashy' editor is really needed.. Of course.. :huh:

I know.. deaf ears..

I think the Eden update is more significant than many would think. The ability to utilise 3 dimensions when creating your scenarios opens up many opportunities for youtube videos. Here is a video which I made to demonstrate the capabilities of the Eden editor. Note, this is my first ever Arma 3 video, but it won't be the last :)

...snip...

that was very uniquely enjoyable man! really cool. made me laugh. please make more videos. you got some cinematic/comedic talent :lol:

I tip my hat to the Audio team behind the Eden update great work.  I love the changes and as mentioned in other threads, there a more to come.  :)

LOVING the update!!!!!

The 3DEN is freaking awesome. Long overdue. :lol: :D ;)

And the default Audio is AMAZING!!!! ...that BASS! ...and distance efx. WOW!

The addon/mod Enhanced 3den is a must-have for this too :)