Danish_Ice [NBG]

Cant see or select rolles in Multiplayer (EDEN EDITOR)

Hello All,

So I managed to get a fix that was mentioned before to work however it wasn't 100% clear but if you are running mods AT ALL on a Dedicated Server make sure that the folder names have NO Spaces or Special Characters (Besides @ and _) only Letters or Numbers so for example:

"@ArmA 3 Mod" this does not work I do not know the exact reason why but ArmA has always had issues with spaces so what you will want to do is one of two things, removes the spaces so the folder looks like this: "@ArmA3Mod" or replace the Spaces with underlines so "@ArmA_3_Mod" and make sure this is also updated in the command line of your server.

the second part to the fix is make sure that your Multiplayer Mission that is made in the 3D editor has ONLY Playable Characters (Purple Circle by default) No Player (Red Circle by Default). Should these not work your welcome to send me a PM and I will try my best to help.

Also one small request for mod makers please name your folders as explained above. This will avoid issues with people attempting to use your mods on a dedicated server, thanks

I'm having the same issue again. Only fix for me is to create mission in the 2D editor.

If I create a dedi server on my own computer, no problem. But as soon as I want to play the mission on the Dedi server of my community, then roles don't show up (it does when using 2d editor).  

I am also having this issue, however NONE of the above is working, there must be an issue with this mission.sqm when using Eden editor, its the only thing i can think of. when you look at your mission.sqm after using the 2d editor it looks completely different than a mission made in the Eden editor, there must be a disconnect somewhere in there when that mission goes to a dedi server.

(EVERY THING BELOW NEEDS TO BE TESTED!)

1. I think one of the hang up might be if the playable units were placed from a user made composite group being made in one map and being placed in another there may be an issue with the mission.sqm not understanding that those units are playable in MP when hosted by a Dedi server even tho they are all set to playable.

2. or it might be a an issue for bis with the menu when editing a units playable status, i dont know if its listing that unit as a playable unit in the mission.SQM on a Dedi server

Like i said before i have tryed everything in this topic so far with no positive results any help would be great.

I have had it happen too me twice now. It does not happen to all my missions but last time i had a mission with this issue and some item before that. I am making all my missions starting with the same template so Description and Init etc. So all my missions are build the same way. yet some of them do work and some of them don't. and the only thing common in these missions is that i placed a lot of misc objects. 

Edited* I managed to fix it by updating a few mods on the server, But i still have one mission that has this issue.

So basically from what I've gathered don't use any modded content with the Eden editor and try to host it on a dedicated, I've down loaded all of my mods through the Steam Workshop and for whatever reason I can't change the file name,

I resorted to downloading every single mod my unit uses only enable those build a mission with those mods saved it put it up on their server and it's still doesn't work.

I'm out of ideas here and I'm so burnt out on trying to get it to work i give up.......

• Like 1

I know what you mean... issues like these are just too frustrating. Takes the fun out of the game and editing...

Yet somehow I keep trying though :P

• Like 1

I was having the exact same issue with my group and here's how we fixed it.

Save your mission as an MP mission in the editor (note I do NOT mean to PLAY the scenario as an MP scenario)

Go back to the main menu, launch the game and host your mission now

See if you have slots or not. You may even have issues appear right there.

NOW check your RPT. It should tell you Warning: Mission cannot be played due to blah blah blah missing content

My issue stemmed from having civilian units dressed up in modded uniforms from the TRYK mod. So I simply uploaded Tryk mod onto our server (we use NFOservers for hosting) and we added that to our mod parameter line.

After a quick restart, we were good to go.

My point is dont use the editor MP thing, when I did it personally, the RPT didnt give me an error. Only when I looked at the RPT from our server itself did it reveal the reason

I made a test mission after the last update, and was able to pick slots on the dedi I hosted myself. This time I only used Ace, cba and RHS escalation.

I will do some testing to see if the issue is resolved with my previous modset to.

How is the status for others regarding this issue? Any changes since Apex and later update?

Still an issue for me Tiberius

Not seeing any report "warning" style errors on dedi server report files or local report files.... XianGrim..

I was having exactly the same problems with a couple of missions I made & some we ported over.

I managed to solve our problem which seemed to be caused by changing playable & none playable units loadouts using the new 3D Eden editor, any weapons or clothes changed that way & on the Dedicated  server, the playable slots did not show up. I reset every unit to default load out & those mission are now playable on a dedicated server!

I think the discrepancy between some missions being hosted by your self successfully & unsuccessfully on a dedicated is a Steam issue.

Every single time a mission with no playable slots was selected on the server  this showed up in the server log file    "SteamAPI initialization failed. "Steam features wont's be accessible!"
 I think the problem, or rather the difference might be;
A Server is NOT required to run Steam to host missions, where as we normally always, when  gaming or hosting (on our own PC) DO run steam.

It might also account for players getting kicked from time to time with the Steam ticket failure. I believe its possible to run steam also on the server, which might be a quick way to solve the problem, but not sure how to set that up.

Lets hope the next patch will sort it.

• Like 1

If you think you're onto something (which it looks like you might be), make a ticket on the feedback tracker and thanks for the heads up! I've had this happen too and it's nice to at least have a direction to look in.

I was having exactly the same problems with a couple of missions I made & some we ported over.

I managed to solve our problem which seemed to be caused by changing playable & none playable units loadouts using the new 3D Eden editor, any weapons or clothes changed that way & on the Dedicated  server, the playable slots did not show up. I reset every unit to default load out & those mission are now playable on a dedicated server!

I think the discrepancy between some missions being hosted by your self successfully & unsuccessfully on a dedicated is a Steam issue.

Every single time a mission with no playable slots was selected on the server  this showed up in the server log file    "SteamAPI initialization failed. "Steam features wont's be accessible!"

I think the problem, or rather the difference might be;

A Server is NOT required to run Steam to host missions, where as we normally always, when  gaming or hosting (on our own PC) DO run steam.

It might also account for players getting kicked from time to time with the Steam ticket failure. I believe its possible to run steam also on the server, which might be a quick way to solve the problem, but not sure how to set that up.

Lets hope the next patch will sort it.

I am having this issue on my server right now. It did not happen until I installed CUP. I have missions with and without CUP assets that will not show player slots. I think I might try your idea of running steam on the server.

It seems to be using the 3D Editor to change gear/loadouts of "human" AI or playable units, that is the problem, particularly gear/clothes rather than  weapons. Vehicle or crate loadouts do not seem to be a problem. It might be an Addon units only problem, CUP or RHS    Has anyone had the problem with Vanilla/Default only missions?

Dooks how do you enable steam on a Dedicated server? any idea? That would be Far easier than "I reset every unit to default load out" !!!

Heroes&villains; Ticket submitted.

I'm surprised Bis has not done any bug fix patches since APEX came out?

• Like 1

Guys, simply check if you run all the necessary addons on the server you are running the mission on. Chances are you don't.

Also, make sure that if you run the addon, you use the same version. I had this problem with an RHS mission when the server had an outdated RHS

Guys, simply check if you run all the necessary addons on the server you are running the mission on. Chances are you don't.

Also, make sure that if you run the addon, you use the same version. I had this problem with an RHS mission when the server had an outdated RHS

The problem was & does happen even when running exactly the same addons. We use ArmA3Sync to keep the server & players addons in sync.

If you are not running the same addons you cant select the mission, where as you can select, even seeing the mission description lower left with the disable AI choice, but there are no playable slots visible. Which if you check the server log afterwords you see the "SteamAPI initialization failed. "Steam features wont's be accessible!".

If it were just an addon compatibility problem, would it not also affect when hosting the problem mission for other players (on your own PC), & not just when trying to select the same mission on a dedicated server, as it seems to be?

We double check this as well. The thing is, I can create one mission and it works. I create another mission the exact same way step by step and it does not work. This isn't an "addons" running thing. 

Having a similar issue I've tried the above have the units set as playable I've been testing with cba and ace download from armaholic command line is correct I'm running a host havoc server both client and server have same exact mods I've tried everything from above I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Same issue here. No errors in the .rpt file, no differences in addons. On the computer I created the mission, all the playable units show up, on any another computer none shows up. Mystery.