Started importing my Flanker pack as seen in Rangemaster.  Since not all of the weapon pack exists in-game this is going to crawl along.  But not bad so far... the pattern we've adopted as "CDF" pattern looks pretty good with the A3 color pallete.

flankertest1.jpg

flankertest2.jpg

flankertest3.jpg

• Like 6

Omg Su-30 i hope i will see whole Rangemaster and BAFX someday in A3 than you hcpookie !!!!

Yeah I'm kind of paving the way.  All the rangemaster stuff is Egg's, I just make vehicles for the most part.  I want to do them "right" this time and have the Su-27 do A-A only and have the Su-30 do what it was built to do - MR, A-G, etc.  I might make a Su-33 if I can find the time so we have a legit platform for the ASM weapons

The problem w/ the pilots being kind of off-center is still there.  These RTM's were inherited and I worked to make them as aligned as possible, but obviously it isn't perfect.  So as the pilot you kind of feel like you're leaning to the left.  I want to correct that if possible.  I might use a different RTM and abandon the ones that are in the pack.

Edit to add - testing the new accurate drogue chute script... seems to mostly work.

flanker_Chute_Test1.jpg

Based on this pic:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/1/5/2/2027251.jpg

• Like 6

I love you  :wub: for this, pls marry me

• Like 1

I love you  :wub: for this, pls marry me

Awwwkkkkwaaaarrd. .... lol

Amazing stuff pookie. .. thanks for doing all this :)

• Like 1

The problem w/ the pilots being kind of off-center is still there.  These RTM's were inherited and I worked to make them as aligned as possible, but obviously it isn't perfect.  So as the pilot you kind of feel like you're leaning to the left.  I want to correct that if possible.  I might use a different RTM and abandon the ones that are in the pack.

I never solved this in my F-35B before contributing it to CUP so I look forward to you one day finding a solution!

I never solved this in my F-35B before contributing it to CUP so I look forward to you one day finding a solution!

The problems w/ the flanker cockpit, I think, are due to both the FOV being too wide for the pilot, and the fact the RTM appears to be rotated so that placing the proxy "normally" you don't get the correct eye-line.  I monkeyed about with that for quite a while until it got "close enough" and I rage quit :) 

Now, *IF* I can figure out how to make the proxy appear on buldozer, I'll have this knocked out in no time.  I have seen screenshots where the proxies appear w/ the animation, so I think there is a way you can fudge the proxy to force it to appear.  Then it is a simple act of moving it around so the eye is directly in-line w/ the HUD and honestly if the RTM doesn't line up w/ the stick, etc. I'll just use a default RTM.

I have similar problems and decided to use some half working defaults instead.

Defaults that have worked for me:

Chopperlight_L_Static_H

Plane_Fighter_03_Pilot

and my personal favourite

driver_Truck_02

... I might make a Su-33 if I can find the time so we have a legit platform for the ASM weapons...

Re: Su-33 - since it's pretty much operated exclusively off of the carrier (which we don't have in any shape or form in A3) it's going to be for "cool factor" only i think.

Then again, modding Su-27 into a Su-35S would be ausum since they are being made in plenty numbers

http://bastion-karpenko.ru/MAKS-2015/SU-35S_MAKS-2015_52.JPG

Together with Su-30SM, CUP Su-34 and Su-25 these will pretty much cover A-A and A-G roles for RusFed air  B)

I have similar problems and decided to use some half working defaults instead.

Defaults that have worked for me:

Chopperlight_L_Static_H

Plane_Fighter_03_Pilot

and my personal favourite

driver_Truck_02

Thanks I'll look into those :)

SOOO, my improved chute actions work!  Not bad for just putting them together on the first go-around :)  This is a variation of the EF2000 chute I developed.  on "Landed Touched Down" the EH fires.  The "rubber smoke" from the rear wheels puffs out, the tires "screech" briefly, and then if necessary, both chutes deploy, and then "flop around" on their own for about 5 seconds while the plane is slowed down.  After that time, the chutes retract and the chute door closes again.  The only problem is they seem to animate "closed" a bit off, so I need to troubleshoot that.  Looks like an axis reference is missing somewhere in my model.cfg  Looks like I also need to move-top a few faces.

chute_Test1.jpg

chute_Test2.jpg

Edit to add.

So here's the current cockpit.  LIke I said, the pilot appears twisted and his head is way too high.  The FOV is too wide as well, so it gives a bit of fish eye effect.  Of note... I figured out what the "MFD" area is for... it has a moving radar animation based on clock-minute.  That is somewhat funny to me, because I built a similar type of animated radar "sweep" hand on the Mig-25/Mig-31 combo.  I thought I was all clever doing something no one else had done before... OOOPS  LOL

cockpit_Test1.jpg

Of interest, I had to remove an MFD layer that apparently was intended to be a user-switched view between this fake radar and the weapon loadout.  I have NO IDEA how you would animate a weapon loadout screen w/o a serious amount of scripting to animate-hide and animate-unhide the little weapon icons.  If you had a fixed loadout I suppose you could add that to the proxy, so that when the weapon fires, the little icon disappears :)  However that would be very limiting.

I am going to explore how to make use of the new maxHoldsterValue animation.  This is what the F35 doors, etc. can be used for animating HUD displays, doors, etc. when a certain weapon is selected.  It is a bit limited with only-on or only-off.  I think I can make a MFD alternate between different PIP views depending on the weapon.  It could be user-animated so that you have to turn on the MFD, presto you get your default gunsight FLIR view.  Select an A-G weapon, the animation would present a different display, say a TV camera display instead.  All the A-G weapons of interest would have to have that value set in the config.  Then the "TV imaging" window would pop up only when those weapons were selected.  Eye candy to be sure, but it might be worth adding.

I'd like to have it present a moving map... now THAT would be useful :)

If I have time I might also try to animate the RWR like I did on the EF2000.  It would be the same script, just a few different items on the Soviet-style RWR display.  I also am researching the accuracy of the cockpit as I'm not sure how much was just a copy/paste ordeal before I inherited it.

• Like 1

Re: Su-33 - since it's pretty much operated exclusively off of the carrier (which we don't have in any shape or form in A3) it's going to be for "cool factor" only i think.

There can be; there was a models pack that contained a model for what would have been Ulyanovsk (see its use in Take on Helicopters and in Arma 3) but I believe that hcpookie might know more re: the state of its rights.

Which flankers are included?

so far i see

SU-27

SU-30 

SU-33

SU-35 (maybe?)

There can be; there was a models pack that contained a model for what would have been Ulyanovsk (see its use in Take on Helicopters and in Arma 3) but I believe that hcpookie might know more re: the state of its rights.

Good call, I'll have to look into that ship!  :)  Visually the -33 has a few minor changes and folding wings.  I sure wish I knew whether Gnat's was going to do any A3 modding.  His Flanker conversions (from Footmunch) were top-notch.

Versions... as the A2 planes that were in Rangemaster.  Only MAJOR versions will be added.  There was a Su-27B w/o a refuel probe, and one with.  No need, IMO, to go through all those historically interesting but not relevant versions.  So to boil it down how we decided to "brand" them into their most distinctive features, for a total of 3 major variations:

- Su-27:  The standard model with both A-A and A-G capability.  Only one model to represent both the -S and -P models.  Focus on A-A ordnance.

The 2-seater model that is the most widely adopted version on the export market.  Since it is a cash cow for Sukhoi, they sell it in just about every flavor you can imagine.  Money talks! :)   There is a standard engine version, and a thrust-vectoring engine version, again all depending on what the customer requests.   The thrust vectoring models require the canards for stability reasons.  I believe the Chinese changed their design with a different radar system and the extra weight warranted front canards although they don't use the thrust vectoring engines.  Since we aren't modding Chinese stuff at present that particular model will not be represented.

So all the -MK -MKI -MKK etc. represent the different "packages" that the different customers ordered.  The Indian version for example is the -MKI which has thrust vectoring and some internal changes such as wiring systems for foreign weapons systems (e.g. NOT Russian ordnance).  It would therefore not be inappropriate to see a Su-30 outfitted with non-Russian ordnance.  Wouldn't that be interesting :)  That may be done one day, having some factions with different weapons.  I know the Russians are flying a Su-30 model but the exact designation escapes me... I think it is the MK2.  For simplicity, all Su-30 models can use all weapons, regardless of the Real Life avionics package capabilities.  Simply too difficult to keep everything sorted out :)

- Su-30:  We decided for simplicity that the  Su-30 will be the standard non-thrust vectoring version.  As a MR fighter system the focus is on A-G ordnance.

- Su-30M:  Thrust-vectoring engine version, with front canards.  Again, mostly A-G ordnance.

There.  Those three are the "combat" versions.  Originally the mod included some acrobatic air show versions w/ air show textures and some unique "formation flying" features and colored smoke.  Interesting only for those who wish to fly acrobatics.  I want to keep those in the pack, so there will be the models for the Civ factions.  Since they rely on CUP factions I need to validate what pilot names will be.

To repeat myself, I might, one day, add a -33 version.  Or not.  :)  There are some very interesting A-G missiles that are mostly intended for the anti-shipping role, which would be best suited to the -33.  Maybe one day.  Or perhaps Gnat will show back up with his -33 ready :)

I doubt I'll do a -35 at all.

Version reference here, because wikipedia sucks:    http://su-27flanker.com

• Like 1

Okay awesome, I'm a big fan of the flanker as you can probably tell 

This may help you 

Well the first clip 

Well the Ulyanovsk doesn't look too bad in A2.  VERY basic, no interior at all.  No elevators.  You can run and fall through the deck so it could really use some love.  It DOES have gun and missile turrets which is a start.  Doubt I would have the time to work on it at all.

ul1.jpg

ul2.jpg

ul3.jpg

Well the Ulyanovsk doesn't look too bad in A2.  VERY basic, no interior at all.  No elevators.  You can run and fall through the deck so it could really use some love.  It DOES have gun and missile turrets which is a start.  Doubt I would have the time to work on it at all.

ul1.jpg

ul2.jpg

ul3.jpg

Im sure if you did, youd give naval assets in arma a purpose. We have so many american naval assets and no other naval assets to rival.

Good call, I'll have to look into that ship!  :)  Visually the -33 has a few minor changes and folding wings.  I sure wish I knew whether Gnat's was going to do any A3 modding.  His Flanker conversions (from Footmunch) were top-notch.

He did do an A3 version of the FSF mod.

As for Ulyanovsk... you're the one who started the thread I linked so I imagine you'd know more than anyone else re: what's good for use by the community out of Wings of Peace/Legacy of Cold War (that is, what'd be considered 'open source' the way the Arma Licensed Data Pack is) and what isn't.

I'd like to have it present a moving map... now THAT would be useful :)

That would be pretty cool. I don´t always like to have the GPS cluttering the FOV , so a MFD based "gps" would be pretty awesome.

Btw. are you going to make the flankers dependent on other mods? our community would like to use some fighters. But usually they are heavily dependent on other mods that we don´t want to use.

Omg Su-30 i hope i will see whole Rangemaster and BAFX someday in A3 than you hcpookie !!!!

Now we just need your ships and we can have some proper sea combat ;) some Air to Ship or Ship to Air wont hurt ;) :P

He did do an A3 version of the FSF mod.

As for Ulyanovsk... you're the one who started the thread I linked so I imagine you'd know more than anyone else re: what's good for use by the community out of Wings of Peace/Legacy of Cold War (that is, what'd be considered 'open source' the way the Arma Licensed Data Pack is) and what isn't.

When Mukcep was active on Armaholic (he has left the community) all of the stuff he provided was available to the community and permitted for use/reuse.  None of his stuff released to public was in any other format.

Will the AG loadout contain S-8 rocket pods? 

Im sure if you did, youd give naval assets in arma a purpose. We have so many american naval assets and no other naval assets to rival.

If and when I did, I would equip it with correct ordnance  from my SAM pack for some serious love!

Edit to add...

Well after doing some research into the cockpit, the RWR panel in the lower RH corner is accurate.  Which means, in normal pilot view, you'll never see the RWR display unless you freelook your head around.  I don't think, therefore, I will animate the RWR panel.  I'll just have the correct RWR incoming missile sound and leave it at that. 

The good news is that the pilot centering animation is working out better with the A2's default A10 pilot animation.  Used the same animation for my EF2000 :)  Trying to make the HUD more readable, but the stupid lines are so dark it is hard to see them.

I've added refuel capability to the Su30 family.  This SHOULD be compatible w/ the refuel mods out there.  Since we have WEST and INDEPENDENT factions using these birds, it would make sense that the flankers would interface with the refuel mods.

PROBE1.jpg

• Like 3

Missilebox should be ported in about a month

The unsung one was completed this week and that has taught me enough to know the frl one will be a simple affair

• Like 2