Sign in to follow this  
0z0n3

NFO - 1.56 update disables Steam API initialization on VDS instances

For anyone not aware, the latest 1.56 update to A3 has rendered VDS instances on NFO servers disabled.  The Steam API is failing to initialize on all but one server per account.

Apparently they're working on fix, we're now at 24hrs down.

Nod, this is also discussed in the next post down on this forum as a more general problem: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/188192-server-linux-156-strange-issue/.

We haven't been able to find a workaround on our end apart from running all servers under one user, which isn't a real option for security reasons.

I'd post my own topic in the troubleshooting forum, but this system won't let me do that yet. I and another user also submitted information through a ticket in their feedback tracker before they had to take it down (which was unfortunate timing, since this really is a serious issue that they need to fix ASAP).

Yep, pretty much exactly the same .RPT message on our other servers.  Only able to start one.

The performance binary is not helping. It is stopping at the same place.

If possible, it would be fastest and easiest to test a new release in your lab environment. Creating two different services under non-administrator users should work to reproduce the problem.

ah, that's problem we still working on internally (tho I think it was on Linux), thanks for the answer

That did fix it!

Can you provide any details on what the cause was? If it happens again (with this or another game) it would be useful to have information to give the developer to assist with fixing it.

That did fix it!

Can you provide any details on what the cause was? If it happens again (with this or another game) it would be useful to have information to give the developer to assist with fixing it.

Great job to both of you guys. Definitely saved our ArmA community!

Thanks BI devs for fixing this issue for the past few days non-stop.

Thanks Edge100x for getting on this issue immediately with BI and reporting them the issues. Once again I am a happy customer of NFOServers.

Great work to both sides.

Awesome, confirmed.  Our other servers are back online now.  Right before the weekend, great timing!

From NFO:

BI has released a new performance binary that fixes the issue caused by the last update and allows game servers to start up properly. We have rolled this out to all servers that were offline or empty now.

If your server was offline because of the broken update, please contact us through the 'Help!' page in your control panel and we can issue a credit for the time that it was down.

Hey guys, I know this is late, but my RPT file is saying the same thing as everyone else's was saying with the whole "SteamAPI initialization failed. Steam features wont's be accessible!" My server provider is GTX Gaming and I have a dedicated server with them, and it appears that their support guys keep giving me the run around and do not seem to know what the issue is. So I have turned here to see if any of you guys could please help me. I run a small CO-OP community with around 18 guys and they depend on this server to play together, so any help would be appreciated. I'll post my full RPT below, I don't know if it'll help but here it goes.

=====================================================================

== C:\TCAFiles\Users\JoshV\18754\arma3server.exe
== "C:\TCAFiles\Users\JoshV\18754\arma3server.exe" -server -ip=63.143.47.180 -port=2302 -filePatching -profiles=arma3 -config=server.cfg -cfg=arma3\arma3.cfg -filePatching -mod=@cba_a3;@asr_ai3;@jbad;@ericj_uh60pack;@mas_nato_rus_sf_veh;@mas_usa_devg;@melb;@nato_russian_sf_weapons;@prkz;@rh_acc;@rh_m4_a3;@rh_pistol_a3;@rhs_afrf3;@rhs_usf3;@southern_waziristan;@sthud_a3;@task_force_radio;@ace3

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_Server
Exe timestamp: 2016/03/02 14:35:06
Current time: 2016/03/04 16:32:05

Type: Public
Build: Stable
Version: 1.56.134787

Allocator: C:\TCAFiles\Users\JoshV\18754\dll\tbb4malloc_bi.dll
=====================================================================

16:32:05 SteamAPI initialization failed. Steam features wont's be accessible!
16:32:05 Initializing stats manager.
16:32:05 Stats config disabled.
16:32:05 sessionID: 559560c691a0a7ec75ecd817f028413493ba9727

the fix from perf/prof 1.56.134739 was merged into hotfix 1.56.134787 ...

hence unless your players actually have issues to play on the server then it should be ok

Re Apex.
All my (and others) old missions work load & play no prob on the ArmA3 Apex update  (get one or two config.bin name changes as do most missions) BUT since Apex, the one mission I converted to & updated with; the new 3D Eden editor gives no playable positions on the Server, so can't be used?, even though I can on my PC play & host it on line no problem.

Checked the server log & it says;   "SteamAPI initialization failed. Steam features wont's be accessible"

Is this an old error bug back or am I missing something? as I said the server seems to run most unconverted older missions unchanged & all the new Default missions also without a problem..