colonelmolerat

Boats in a group set to 'Careless' barely move

If you set a group of Assault boats to move to a waypoint, it works fine.... UNLESS their behaviour is set to 'careless'.

If it's set to careless, they either move very very slowly, or not at all.

This is on Windows 10, 64-bit, latest version of normal-branch Arma (Eden-update), as of 19/02/2016.

I think this is normal:

• Careless - Careless behaviour will cause the group move and behave in a very non-combat manner. The group will form into a Compact Column like formation, where each unit will directly follow the man in front rather than moving in a formation. Soldiers will carry their weapons in safe position (rifles across body, pistols holstered) and walk slowly. Infantry will not fire on enemy targets (unless they have wounded legs), but vehicles will still fire on enemies. Groups in careless mode do not switch to a more alert mode if enemies are encountered. All unit types show preference moving along roads whenever possible.

If you want them to move fast you have to use this forceSpeed. EDIT = won't work

this setBehaviour "CARELESS"; this forceSpeed 45;

Even if they are in "Careless" mode, if you set the waypoint's speed to full they should go full speed.

Even with the waypoint speed set to full, they creep along. I hadn't realised that "The group will form into a Compact Column like formation" though - perhaps the bug is because they can't get into formation in the first place?

They spend forever very slowly moving about, getting nowhere. Perhaps they're trying to get into formation, but can't because they're boats and not very manoeuvrable?

If they're set to 'aware' they drive straight off in full speed, but then you lose the benefits of 'careless' behaviour (ignoring enemy fire, etc).

At the moment, I've had to set the behaviour to 'aware' and  set 'allowfleeing' to 0, but this is obviously a sloppy workaround.

perhaps the bug is because they can't get into formation in the first place?

Yes, I've noticed that forceSpeed won't work because if the leader gets too far ahead he has to wait for the last one in the formation and that causes the stuttering movement. You could try setCombatmode "GREEN" or "BLUE"